Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Lets look at where the Final Four teams were in Tempo according to kenpom each of the last 4 years:

2011:
    VCU - 206th
    UK - 208th
    UConn - 225th
    Butler - 270th

2010:
    MSU: 224th
    Duke: 249th
    Butler: 292nd
    WVU: 314th

2009:
    UNC: 8th
    Nova: 63rd
    UConn: 83rd
    MSU: 126th

2008:
    UNC: 8th
    Kansas: 136th
    Memphis: 87th
    UCLA: 217th

What do we learn? Well going fast and relying upon fast-break points can work, but it clearly isn't a key factor in success. The last two final fours involve Not a single team who is one of the top 200 fastest teams in the nation. In 2009, all three teams however were above average, and in 2008, it still leaned fast but not quite as fast.

Fast-break points are in theory great. And if your team is built for them, go for it. But it depends upon your personnel. And it's not something that will diminish a teams' chances on its own.
    This is an excellent post. Another element that Kenpom's numbers don't make readily available but I remember reading about at some point this season (for the life of me, I can't find the post nor the article), but just because a team runs and guns doesn't mean they are actually an efficient fast break team. Nolan was among college basketball's leaders in fast break efficiency this year. Why? Because he almost never makes the wrong decision when running the break. He may not run as frequently, but when he did, Duke scored. It's not just how fast you run, it's how efficient you are when you run.

with about 10 mins to go in Duke-AZ

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This is an excellent post. Another element that Kenpom's numbers don't make readily available but I remember reading about at some point this season (for the life of me, I can't find the post nor the article), but just because a team runs and guns doesn't mean they are actually an efficient fast break team. Nolan was among college basketball's leaders in fast break efficiency this year. Why? Because he almost never makes the wrong decision when running the break. He may not run as frequently, but when he did, Duke scored. It's not just how fast you run, it's how efficient you are when you run.
    Really thought Duke should try one of two completely different strategies: try to run AZ out of the gym or bore them to sleep. A really slow game would have required incredible efficiency, but might have caused AZ to go cold. making AZ go as absolutely fast as possible on D might have allowed Duke to outscore them. In the end, I think Duke stayed at just about the same pace throughout the half and had no impact on the roll that AZ was on. Sometimes dictating pace has great impact on the opposing teams mental state. Offensive and Defensive efficiency are probably more important in the long run (season) but within a game, dictating a pace that will increase your teams chance of winning seems more important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Well, while that is TRUE, Duke was a fast team this year (51st in Tempo). So Nolan and others' fast breaks did lead to us being a "fast team" this year, though you are correct in that our efficiency on the fast break was what led us to success.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I think there is no correct answer to this question. If one style of play was so superior to others than every coach in America would use it. It is all about maximizing the potential on the roster. I will say that teams that play fast and loose have the ability to come back more easily, but they also have the ability to get themselves blown out quickly. Teams that play slow have a difficult time coming back, but they are more often than not more capable of keeping most games close. You also play a certain way to hide weaknesses that a team may have.