Perry Jones ineligible

Shocking I know...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6198610

My favorite part of this story is Baylor breaking out the "Cam Newton" defense. It was only a matter of time...

And Baylor (without Jones) gets mauled by Oklahoma. What a difference a year makes.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    And Baylor (without Jones) gets mauled by Oklahoma. What a difference a year makes.
    Yeah, but you keep forgetting, we had the easiest bracket of ALL TIME!!.

I personally think this suspension a load of junk (I want to use stronger language, but this is a family board). So the kid's mom gets loans to pay the mortgage, 2 years before he gets to Baylor, from a guy who's known the kid from the 6th grade, and pays all of them back. The loaner has no relationship to the university. What, exactly, is the problem?

I'm still amazed that this is considered a rules violation, but BCS bowls taking school administrators on free cruises is all good. It's fantastic to be the king.

-c

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    I personally think this suspension a load of junk (I want to use stronger language, but this is a family board). So the kid's mom gets loans to pay the mortgage, 2 years before he gets to Baylor, from a guy who's known the kid from the 6th grade, and pays all of them back. The loaner has no relationship to the university. What, exactly, is the problem?

I'm still amazed that this is considered a rules violation, but BCS bowls taking school administrators on free cruises is all good. It's fantastic to be the king.

-c
    Oh ok, I thought it was just me who felt that this suspension is BS. And on top of that, this happened BEFORE he came to Baylor.

Talking I Hate To Stand up for Perry Jones, but...

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post

-c

This is a lot of hokum. Moreover, since no one claims Perry knew anything about the transactions, he clearly wasn't guilty of covering anything up, the charge that usually nails coaches and politicians.

Moreover, because of the timing, isn't this suspension more serious than the one given at the beginning of the season to Lacedarius Dunn, who beat up his girlfriend and faced criminal charges?

What is going on?

sagegrouse

Why does it always seem like the NCAA overshadows its biggest events with the most untimely of news? I mean, what takes them so long to come to these decisions? The Cam Newton thing went on for a whole season. The whole Ohio State fiasco was brought to light right before the Sugar Bowl. It's like they purposefully try to bring negative news out at the absolute worst time.

The NCAA needs to fix its rules (or, at least, the interpretation of them, now). They are holding these kids and their families to an almost impossible standard, especially for those of them in dire financial situations. If you want to punish an athlete for improper dealings with an agent while in school, that's fine. But to punish a kid for his mother receiving loans (which she paid back!) from an AAU coach in high school is unacceptable. Especially since it let Newton off in what was (in my humble opinion) a much worse scenario. How is a kid's mother receiving and paying back $4,000 in loans WORSE than a kid's father asking for money from a college program? Ridiculous.