Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

DeAndre Daniels recruitment

Hey guys, I stay away from a lot of the recruiting threads, but saw some noise on twitter that Coach K is in Bradenton today looking at DeAndre Daniels, who is being heavily recruited by Kansas and Texas, among others. Any scuttlebutt out there?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Hey guys, I stay away from a lot of the recruiting threads, but saw some noise on twitter that Coach K is in Bradenton today looking at DeAndre Daniels, who is being heavily recruited by Kansas and Texas, among others. Any scuttlebutt out there?
    I've seen a few rumors about Duke becoming interested in Daniels also, but nothing concrete. I'm not sure where he would necessarily fit in. He would seem to be a similar player to Gbinije and not necessarily more talented (ranked lower by scout and espn and higher by rivals). Plus we will very likely run a 3 guard offense next season with Cook/Thornton at the point with Curry and Rivers on the wings. Back them up with Dawkins and Gbinige and I don't see Daniels filling a need.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've seen a few rumors about Duke becoming interested in Daniels also, but nothing concrete. I'm not sure where he would necessarily fit in. He would seem to be a similar player to Gbinije and not necessarily more talented (ranked lower by scout and espn and higher by rivals). Plus we will very likely run a 3 guard offense next season with Cook/Thornton at the point with Curry and Rivers on the wings. Back them up with Dawkins and Gbinige and I don't see Daniels filling a need.
    Andy Borman is his coach...and Spatola's brother works with the team too

Duke is looking at him, and I really like him as a prospect. He's got a lot of Kevin Durant in him... really, probably more than Quincy Miller does. The main thing I'm not sure about is whether he'd be able to guard/rebound the 4-spot. He's long, but I've seen him listed as 6'7 195-200ish some places... some places a couple inches taller.

We've already got a lot of wing players in the queue, but you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys. And if he's an inch or two taller, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    ...you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys...
    As an Atlanta Hawks fan, let me assure you...yes, you most assuredly can (thank you, Billy Knight).
    That said, if K wants him, so do I.

Thumbs up DeAndre Daniels

I wasn't familliar with DD, so I had to look him up on Scout. They list him at "6 foot-7 inches (or maybe 6 foot 8 inches)" and 195lbs. They show him as a SF/PF. He's from Woodland Hills, CA (isn't that the area Bilas was from?). It seems like he still has a large number of schools in play at this late date for a 2011 prospect. He's their 9th ranked PF for 2011, which likely makes him top-50 in the class.

The schools that seem to have caught his greatest interest are TX, Oregon, KA and maybe KY and FL and ASU. Interestingly, NC State is on his list too. He clearly doesn't seem to need to "stay near home," as some recruits do. Apparently he has a good 3-point shooting touch (quick release), is athletic (quick leaper) and "versatile" (I assume that means he can play multiple positions). Oddly his mid-range shooting is a little more suspect, and his handle isn't overwhelming. If Duke feels the need for someone from the class of 2011 who can have at least some interior impact, he might be a solid late pick-up.

I love the "great athleticism and great/quick leaping" label. It would possibly fill a Duke need next year.

Palos Verdes

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I wasn't familliar with DD, so I had to look him up on Scout. They list him at "6 foot-7 inches (or maybe 6 foot 8 inches)" and 195lbs. They show him as a SF/PF. He's from Woodland Hills, CA (isn't that the area Bilas was from?). .
    I believe Jay Bilas was from Palos Verdes, which is about 40 miles south of Woodland Hills and on a peninsula jutting into the Pacific.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I believe Jay Bilas was from Palos Verdes, which is about 40 miles south of Woodland Hills and on a peninsula jutting into the Pacific.

sagegrouse
    Over by the In-N-Out Burger.

Smile more athletic

Daniels is more athletic that Gbinijie and has a better handle, he's more of a 4/3 than a 3/4 if that makes sense?

Jay Bilas is from Rolling Hills, California.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Over by the In-N-Out Burger.
    oh man. my mouth just started watering. miss me some in-n-out. mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jay Bilas is from Rolling Hills, California.
    STILL by the In-and-Out ...

DUKEHOOPBLOG retweeted that Duke offered Daniels a scholly

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    We've already got a lot of wing players in the queue, but you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys. And if he's an inch or two taller, all the better.
    At minimum, Duke should be able to train someone with his physique to play a Lance Thomas-like role. If he can score like Deng (let alone Durant!?) so much the better.

A couple things:

I'm guessing that since Daniels was offered a scholarship, that Alex Murphy won't be reclassifying himself as a 2011 recruit. I haven't heard anything, but I don't think K would offer him if Murphy and Gbinije were coming in at the same time.

Also, I was reading the Jerry Meyer mailbag on Rivals.com, and he said the player who Daniels reminds him of most is Kyle Singler, which I find interesting considering that everyone says the same about Murphy.

2 Kyle Singler's on the same team? Yes, please!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    A couple things:

I'm guessing that since Daniels was offered a scholarship, that Alex Murphy won't be reclassifying himself as a 2011 recruit. I haven't heard anything, but I don't think K would offer him if Murphy and Gbinije were coming in at the same time.

Also, I was reading the Jerry Meyer mailbag on Rivals.com, and he said the player who Daniels reminds him of most is Kyle Singler, which I find interesting considering that everyone says the same about Murphy.

2 Kyle Singler's on the same team? Yes, please!
    Looks like much better hops than Singler from the video. However the video doesn't reveal el corazon so the Singler comparisons is impossible to confirm. I couldn't find his wingspan listed but he appears to have Henson like reach. The weaknesses listed are that he is not very adept or accustomed to passing the rock and that he has frequent mental lapses. Sounds like he would benefit a great deal from Duke and coach K. There seems to be a lot of speculation that he is UK bound though.

not offered

according to Andy Borman at IMG Daniels has not received an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    according to Andy Borman at IMG Daniels has not received an offer.
    That's odd... a few days ago it was reported by multiple sources that he was offered. I guess we'll just have to wait and see then.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Looks like much better hops than Singler from the video. However the video doesn't reveal el corazon so the Singler comparisons is impossible to confirm. I couldn't find his wingspan listed but he appears to have Henson like reach. The weaknesses listed are that he is not very adept or accustomed to passing the rock and that he has frequent mental lapses. Sounds like he would benefit a great deal from Duke and coach K. There seems to be a lot of speculation that he is UK bound though.
    7'2".

IMO, Singler is a terrible comparison. Daniels is long with good athleticism and a pretty tight handle, but is very skinny and is mostly a finesse player. Singler was a skilled big wing with a limited handle and a power-based game in HS, kind of like Larry Bird.

in and out burger is making a big push to open a new market for them in the Dallas Ft Worth area . . . so, yeah i'm just grasping at straws here. i thought DD was a kansas lean the last time i checked.