Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MBB: [non-ACC] Coaching Carousel - 2011 edition

Opening salvo - Pat Knight fired.

-jk

Pat Kennedy quits after hanging a DePaulesque 4-26 record at Towson State. Pretty long fall from a second-place finish in the ACC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6189740

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Billy Gillispie's name mentioned in Texas Tech's search. The guy has already done a fantastic job of building up two separate programs in Texas (UTEP and Texas A&M) and probably has recruiting ties down there as well.

The guy I'm worried about is Jeff Capel at Oklahoma. I think he'll get a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder.

The Sooners have had an awful year, going 13-17 overall, 5-11 in the conference. They beat Oklahoma St. on Saturday to close out the regular season, but before that had dropped eight straight games. Earlier in the year they had suffered another three game conference losing streak and a five game nonconference losing streak. Worse, of the 17 losses, an astounding 14 of them have been by double digits. That's really bad.

Last year was pretty much the same, with the team finishing 13-18, 4-12 in the conference.

The year before, with Blake Griffin at his collegiate peak, was terrific, and the year before that was good too, in Griffin's freshman year, as the team made the tournament, so Jeff's overall record is still OK, with a winning percentage around .600. But he's below .500 in the conference over his tenure in Norman. That's not good. The problem is that things are moving in the wrong direction, and doing so in a big way.

Like I say, I think Jeff will get at least another year, but you never know these days. I'm pretty sure next year he'll have to demonstrate some significant progress in getting this thing back on track, or they're going to look at some alternatives.

I wonder if NCSU might take a flyer on Capel. My sister who is an NCSU alum was asking me over the weekend if there was any chance they could pry away Chris Collins. I told her I doubted it, but if they were looking for someone with an ACC pedigree (and arguably someone who could recruit well in-state), Capel might be an option. Not sure how much his star has cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Pat Kennedy quits after hanging a DePaulesque 4-26 record at Towson State. Pretty long fall from a second-place finish in the ACC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6189740
    The "resigned" part is cover: PK said on the radio he wanted one more year. Basically, his contract was up. The funny thing he said on the radio is that he should have done more diligence before taking the job: he didn't realize there were EIGHT season ticket holders when he got on campus. He also questioned whether Towson could compete in the CAA, which has solid programs like GMU, VCU and ODU that bring a lot more resources. I was wondering if Baltimore-area native Wojo's name might be mentioned (not that he, or anybody, should take that job).

I'm not sure if si.com keeps this page current, but here's a list:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ges/index.html

I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball. They have not managed a winning season since 2003 (the end of Ken's data). They have not even managed to go .500 in the CAA conference in that time.

This is a bad program. I doubt Wojo would take the job if it was offered. Look at the first head coaching jobs of other former Duke assistants and you will see that Towson isn't nearly in the league with places like Stanford, Seton Hall, Missouri (which is where Dawkins, Amaker, and Snyder got their first head jobs).

-Jason "Wojo and/or Collins would be in line for a mid-level BCS program" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The guy I'm worried about is Jeff Capel at Oklahoma. I think he'll get a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder.
    Capel's problems come from the disastrous 2009 recruiting class. When he signed it, that class appeared to be one of the tops in the nation. It featured 2 Mickie Dees in Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. Both players had disappointing freshman seasons peppered with suspensions and run-ins with the coach. They both foolishly turned pro after one year at Oklahoma and are both playing in the D-League now.

Jeff's recruiting has fallen markedly since then. His 2010 class had 8 players in it, but only one of them was a top 100 recruit. 2011 has been really bad as he has only gotten one Juco player to sign... no high schoolers.

The good thing is that Oklahoma has a young roster. They have only one senior this year (though it is their leading scorer, Cade Davis). All their other best players are all freshmen and sophs, so their is a chance the can improve next season and the year after. But, Jeff is going to need to pick up the recruiting and sign a stud or two to get Oklahoma back to being a serious contender in the B12.

-Jason "I agree that Jeff gets at least one more year... probably more than that so long as he does not have another bottom of the B12 season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Capel's problems come from the disastrous 2009 recruiting class. When he signed it, that class appeared to be one of the tops in the nation. It featured 2 Mickie Dees in Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. Both players had disappointing freshman seasons peppered with suspensions and run-ins with the coach. They both foolishly turned pro after one year at Oklahoma and are both playing in the D-League now.

Jeff's recruiting has fallen markedly since then. His 2010 class had 8 players in it, but only one of them was a top 100 recruit. 2011 has been really bad as he has only gotten one Juco player to sign... no high schoolers.

The good thing is that Oklahoma has a young roster. They have only one senior this year (though it is their leading scorer, Cade Davis). All their other best players are all freshmen and sophs, so their is a chance the can improve next season and the year after. But, Jeff is going to need to pick up the recruiting and sign a stud or two to get Oklahoma back to being a serious contender in the B12.

-Jason "I agree that Jeff gets at least one more year... probably more than that so long as he does not have another bottom of the B12 season" Evans
    Unfortunately for Capel, OU's hand may be forced by Texas Tech, Arkansas, or any other program looking to hire Billy Gillespie. OU is probably the best place for him, with the resources, lack-of-pressure, and proximity to Texas (still has a ton of recruiting ties down there). They may feel that Gillespie now is better than their possible options in 2012.

I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball. They have not managed a winning season since 2003 (the end of Ken's data). They have not even managed to go .500 in the CAA conference in that time.

This is a bad program. I doubt Wojo would take the job if it was offered. Look at the first head coaching jobs of other former Duke assistants and you will see that Towson isn't nearly in the league with places like Stanford, Seton Hall, Missouri (which is where Dawkins, Amaker, and Snyder got their first head jobs).

-Jason "Wojo and/or Collins would be in line for a mid-level BCS program" Evans
    Oh I agree that Wojo should not and presumably would not take the Towson job. I was just wondering if they'd make a run at him, given the home town ties. Towson's a bad job, but the CAA is better than the conference that O'Toole went to (when he went to his alma mater Fairfield) or that Brey went to (Delaware was then in the America East). And Bender went to Southern Illinois, which is not a BCS job, either.
    Last edited by Reilly; 03-08-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: to add Bender history

I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball...
    I recommend www.basketball-reference.com Truly a wonder:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/TOWS/

Capel on the hot seat

i really like Capel and don't understand why he hasn't been successful at OU. the last two years have been a disaster.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 03-08-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: deleted references to rumors

correction to post #11

Bender went to Illinois State, not Southern Illinois.

Providence

According to this Keno Davis is out at Providence. Lower tier Big East job, but a Big East job nonetheless.

It's probably rather telling that the postgame discussion regarding last night's GA Tech-VA Tech game focused not on X's and O's so much as on Paul Hewitt's job future. Hewitt said he "expects to return" next season, which I think may well be an instance of wishful thinking (definitely would be such if not for that ridiculous buyout). The article states that GA Tech must notify him of his future for next season by Wednesday, or pay $1 million more in the buyout (Good grief! Seriously, who negotiated that contract?!?!). I expect the official announcement of his departure to come probably Monday, amid the post-Selection Sunday hubbub.
    My favorite part of the article? "[Hewitt] said he has a good relationship with the Atlanta media, save one person." Anyone who regularly reads the AJC can presumably guess who that one person is with ease.

What's the over-under on hours from this moment before the official "Sidney Lowe has been fired" news item comes out? I checked the internet this morning expecting to see the announcement having been made.

Currently it's 9:35 EST. I put the over-under at 24 hours from this moment, and I'm taking the under.

Sorry, Sid...love you, but it's time for NCSU to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's probably rather telling that the postgame discussion regarding last night's GA Tech-VA Tech game focused not on X's and O's so much as on Paul Hewitt's job future. Hewitt said he "expects to return" next season, which I think may well be an instance of wishful thinking (definitely would be such if not for that ridiculous buyout). The article states that GA Tech must notify him of his future for next season by Wednesday, or pay $1 million more in the buyout (Good grief! Seriously, who negotiated that contract?!?!). I expect the official announcement of his departure to come probably Monday, amid the post-Selection Sunday hubbub.
    My favorite part of the article? "[Hewitt] said he has a good relationship with the Atlanta media, save one person." Anyone who regularly reads the AJC can presumably guess who that one person is with ease.
    Cynthia Tucker?

Mark Bradley has been on Hewitt's hide for years, no doubt, but has been fairly accurate in his description of Hewitt's job performance. Truth hurts sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    What's the over-under on hours from this moment before the official "Sidney Lowe has been fired" news item comes out? I checked the internet this morning expecting to see the announcement having been made.

Currently it's 9:35 EST. I put the over-under at 24 hours from this moment, and I'm taking the under.

Give me the over. I don't think State will announce such a thing with the ACC Tournament still going on. I'd expect the announcement early next week, after Selection Sunday and before the start of the big tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

I expect they'll wait until sometime next week. In theory NCSU could still be selected for the NIT. Highly unlikely, but it'd be awkward to can the coach and then find out the season's not over...