Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

All-ACC teams - Nolan POY; Kyle 1st Team

The vote totals themselves are public domain.

Nolan was the only unanimous choice.

All-ACC First Team
    Nolan Smith, Duke (225)+
    Jordan Williams, Maryland (210)
    Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech (202)
    Kyle Singler, Duke (199)
    Reggie Jackson, Boston College (190)

All-ACC Second Team
    Tyler Zeller, North Carolina (161)
    John Henson, North Carolina (148)
    Harrison Barnes, North Carolina (145)
    Iman Shumpert, Georgia Tech (132)
    Jeff Allen, Virginia Tech (131)

All-ACC Third Team
    Chris Singleton, Florida State (126)
    Demontez Stitt, Clemson (81)
    Joe Trapani, Boston College (63)
    Malcolm Grant, Miami (62)
    Kendall Marshall, North Carolina (45)

ACC All-Freshman Team
    Harrison Barnes, North Carolina (75)+
    Travis McKie, Wake Forest (74)
    Kendall Marshall, North Carolina (71)
    Terrell Stoglin, Maryland (62)
    C.J. Leslie, NC State (46)

ACC All-Defensive Team
    John Henson, North Carolina (75)+
    Chris Singleton, Florida State (64)
    Iman Shumpert, Georgia Tech (60)
    Nolan Smith, Duke (26)
    Jerai Grant, Clemson (20)

Cool - thanks. Kudos to Nolan for unanimous 1st team selection! And a hearty congrats to Kyle for first team selection as well. No Tar Heels first team, but a 3 of them on the second team.

Interesting that a guy from 1-15 (ACC record) Wake was 1 shy of unanimous for all-freshman team.

Would anyone else have expected Kyle to be as likely to be represented on the all-defensive team than Nolan? As of before the Carolina game (stats available from goduke.com), they were very nearly even in (steals + blocks) and although kyle was ahead in defensive rebounds, it amounted to only 0.5 more per game. But the kicker for me is that I thought kyle tended to draw the toughest defensive assignments. I don't have stats on the guys he guarded though. I know he did a fine job on HB in the first meeting with UNC.

I always like to see Barry Jacobs' All Defensive team, as he polls the coaches, not the media.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Cool - thanks. Kudos to Nolan for unanimous 1st team selection! And a hearty congrats to Kyle for first team selection as well. No Tar Heels first team, but a 3 of them on the second team.

Interesting that a guy from 1-15 (ACC record) Wake was 1 shy of unanimous for all-freshman team.

Would anyone else have expected Kyle to be as likely to be represented on the all-defensive team than Nolan? As of before the Carolina game (stats available from goduke.com), they were very nearly even in (steals + blocks) and although kyle was ahead in defensive rebounds, it amounted to only 0.5 more per game. But the kicker for me is that I thought kyle tended to draw the toughest defensive assignments. I don't have stats on the guys he guarded though. I know he did a fine job on HB in the first meeting with UNC.
    Being a Wake student and watching their games this year, I can tell you that Travis McKie is a phenomenal player and was playing out of position most of the year, as he is a natural 3 but played the 4 because of Wake's lack of depth this year

I guess unc having no 1st team selections and winning the regular season means they'll either be hyper-motivated this weekend or Roy really mismanaged his talent. Perhaps both. Good thing Roy disdains the ACC tourney.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I always like to see Barry Jacobs' All Defensive team, as he polls the coaches, not the media.

-jk
    I'll take Barry Jacobs' analysis over the field any day of the week.

I guess unc having no 1st team selections and winning the regular season means they'll either be hyper-motivated this weekend or Roy really mismanaged his talent. Perhaps both. Good thing Roy disdains the ACC tourney.

-jk
    Caulton Tudor opts for hyper-motivated

Tar Heels robbed in All-ACC voting

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...all-acc-voting

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post

I've always considered Caulton Tudor the Digger Phelps of local sportswriters...not terribly sharp or original, and strongly oriented to his favorite team(s).

That said, I'm not sure there's any real reason for Carolina fans to be upset about these selections. They got 3 of the top 8 vote getters, and their overall balance was recognized. Which of the members of the 1st team didn't belong there?

Could be wrong, but I doubt Ole Roy makes a big deal about this (unless perhaps Caulton is his proxy here). Roy will be too busy downplaying the importance of the ACC Tournament.

Imagine that, Caulton Tarheel thinks unc was robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I've always considered Caulton Tudor the Digger Phelps of local sportswriters...not terribly sharp or original, and strongly oriented to his favorite team(s).

That said, I'm not sure there's any real reason for Carolina fans to be upset about these selections. They got 3 of the top 8 vote getters, and their overall balance was recognized. Which of the members of the 1st team didn't belong there?

Could be wrong, but I doubt Ole Roy makes a big deal about this (unless perhaps Caulton is his proxy here). Roy will be too busy downplaying the importance of the ACC Tournament.
    None of the Carolina guys had a 1st team season. I think the top 3 vote-getters were the only obvious ones and the 4th and 5th spots were up for grabs.

If Henson wanted to be more than 2nd team, he should have averaged more than 10 ppg and it would have been easy. If Barnes wanted to be 1st team, he should have started playing well in December not February.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    None of the Carolina guys had a 1st team season. I think the top 3 vote-getters were the only obvious ones and the 4th and 5th spots were up for grabs.

If Henson wanted to be more than 2nd team, he should have averaged more than 10 ppg and it would have been easy. If Barnes wanted to be 1st team, he should have started playing well in December not February.
    I'm going to disagree. In my opinion, if Henson is DPOY as the Defensive All ACC would indicate, he should have been on the first team All ACC. In my book the defensive player of the year should always be a 1st teamer all ACC.

I'm also perplexed by Kyle being left of the defensive team. I thought it was his defense that put him onto the first team all ACC. Very strange.

I wonder if, in addition to the uneven schedule, this is just the result of the conference expansion and too many voters who just don't watch enough games to make qualified votes. Or, perhaps that should be enough games to make quality votes.

Shocking, simply shocking that Tudor would take that stance.

-jk
    Rather than dissing other teams, I very much appreciate our two 1st teamers.

Gminski, Redick, Dawkins and Singler. Only four Dukies on All-ACC all four years. according to Duke Blue Planet.

Awesome!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Rather than dissing other teams, I very much appreciate our two 1st teamers.

Gminski, Redick, Dawkins and Singler. Only four Dukies on All-ACC all four years. according to Duke Blue Planet.

Awesome!
    Gminksi was only three time I believe

Quote Originally Posted by burns15 View Post
    Gminksi was only three time I believe
    I believe Banks, not Gminski, was the other four-time all-acc player. In any event, congrats to Kyle and Nolan on an outstanding regular season. Here's to hoping that the rest of the year is even better.

I think the Tarheels' team MVP is LD2's mom - if anyone in baby blue should be first team all ACC, it is her.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    I believe Banks, not Gminski, was the other four-time all-acc player. In any event, congrats to Kyle and Nolan on an outstanding regular season. Here's to hoping that the rest of the year is even better.
    According to Charlie Board (through 2002), Banks made 1st team once and 2nd team 3 times while Dawkins made 1st team twice and 2nd team twice. Gminski, Heyman, Langdon, Mullins, Verga and, I believe JWill and Redick, were 1st team 3 times.

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/awards/All-ACC

gw67

Although there are obviously other factors to consider, Singler also finished all four years as Duke's 2nd best player according to All-ACC voting. He has finished 2nd in total votes to Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer, and now Smith.

Later today, Williams will be named COY, Barnes ROY and Henson DPOY. Does that sound like bias? The UNC guys were bunched closely together, so all three of the big names made it on some ballots. I voted one Tar Heel 1st team, two 2nd and one 3rd. I also voted for the trio above and NS for POY and that is a done deal as well. Sometimes, the intent is to rile a certain team by creating a chip on their shoulder