Two odd comments by the announcers

First... was one of the announcers seriously saying they thought Duke deserved higher than a 4 seed in the NCAAs?

Second... they were talking about Duke developing a third scoring option... uh, I don't think the team realistically has a second option yet. Isn't it a bit early to talk of a third? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    First... was one of the announcers seriously saying they thought Duke deserved higher than a 4 seed in the NCAAs?

Second... they were talking about Duke developing a third scoring option... uh, I don't think the team realistically has a second option yet. Isn't it a bit early to talk of a third? Or am I missing something?
    Seth Davis had Duke in a 3 seed because of their SOS and the fact that all of their losses have been against top 50 RPI teams. He has somewhat of a good argument I think but no way Duke gets a 3 unless they win the ACCT.

who is the first scoring option?

Well, Duke was firmly alive for a 3 seed at the beginning of the week, but after 2 losses, not so much anymore.

Seth Davis has said he moved us into the last 3 because Creighton beat SIU. he dropped SIU to a 4.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by jaimedun34 View Post
    It's sad that his best game as a collegiate has been tarnished with the end-game incident. But he looked really good today at times. I think he's only going to get an expanded role from here on out (Thursday notwithstanding, of course).

i completely agree with that and hope we run our offense through him from here on out.

It's tough when your "best" player barely scores double digits in most games and has more turnovers than assists and can't shoot freethrows and spends more time whining than getting down the court and grabs your point guard by the jersey and slings him out of the way while he is trying to play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post

i believe the acc scoring numbers since game 3 will bear me out.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post

oh, yeah, i forgot about the player who was 3-7 from the field for 9 points and who took fewer shots than 4 other players on our team. that sounds like our first scoring option.

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDevil View Post
    It's tough when your "best" player barely scores double digits in most games and has more turnovers than assists and can't shoot freethrows and spends more time whining than getting down the court and grabs your point guard by the jersey and slings him out of the way while he is trying to play defense.
    It's really tough if you have "fans" who are so "supportive" of your team.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    It's really tough if you have "fans" who are so "supportive" of your team.
    how is it any more "tough" or "easy" depending on what anonymous people write on a message board? sorry to inform you that it's completely irrelevant.

Dukie8

Paulus had 20+ today...?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's sad that his best game as a collegiate has been tarnished with the end-game incident. But he looked really good today at times. I think he's only going to get an expanded role from here on out (Thursday notwithstanding, of course).
    Sad? SAD!!?!? When I think of the crap guys like Dunleavy and JJ had to deal with I wish we had had a Marty McSorley-type guy around in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    oh, yeah, i forgot about the player who was 3-7 from the field for 9 points and who took fewer shots than 4 other players on our team. that sounds like our first scoring option.
    do you know what josh mcroberts looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post

You might be right. Looking at the conference-only stats on theacc.com through yesterday, Demarcus and John lead the team with an average of 13.9 ppg, Paulus is at 13.3, and McRoberts is at 12.9.

Excluding the first 3 games of the conference schedule when Greg was in a slump might make him the best scorer on the team.

For all the heat Josh takes here (from myself as well, admittedly), it is interesting to note that he ranks 6th in the league in field goal percentage during conference play, at 52.5%. His number of attempts and percentage are not drastically different from those above him, a few of whom are also big men.

Interesting side note - those other big men are ranked in offensive rebounds, while Josh is not. That suggests that he might be taking (and making) more difficult shots than others. On the other hand, I'd love the team to have more offensive rebounds.

So I'm not a fan if I don't like how some players are performing? If that is the prevailing attitude around here, methinks I won't stick around long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

The announcers to whom you refer were Billy Packer and Jim Nantz. I hope this helps.