Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 70, Clemson 59 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Casey Peters

Why didn't he start? I thought K always started all seniors on senior night.

Well played

Congrats to Duke - especially the Seniors. Nice way to go out.

For what it's worth that was absolutely Clemsons' best shot. Duke took it and handled it and was never really in trouble. Even when they were in trouble they weren't in trouble. That's a good team. Better yet, that's the makings of a great team.

For Clemson I can only hope they didn't play their best effort in vein. With UMd's loss Clemson can control its own destiny to finish 4th for tournament seeding and secure a Friday date with BC - a veritable play-in game for the NCAAs.

As always, my hat is off to Duke and its fans. Class all the way.

Klem

What an amazing record at Cameron for Kyle and Nolan. A great finish to their Cameron careers. I can't believe it has been four years already. They have been so fun to watch. Great game as well, led by our seniors. Nicely done.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Don't know if we should take credit for beating a team that was victimized by calls (eyes rolling so fast I think they're about to pop out ), but it was a tough game. Kyle and Nolan brought it well (though there were still some missed shots that should've dropped for both) and was impressed with Seth and Mason (keep getting the ball deep in the post for hooks!!). We do need some more bench help and a bit more crispness the rest of the way. Still hoping KI might at least suit up so we see a yellow puddle on the wrong sideline Saturday night--GTHC!! Next!

PS--You let the whoooooooooooole team down!!! Loved it!

Hard fought game. Seth hit some big shots at a crucial time. Glad to see the seniors go out winners. Terrible officiating and I mean both ways. Worse officiated game I can recall this year.

Kyle was Mr. everything tonight. Did all the dirty work. Nolan had a few turnovers but besides that was our leader again. He was finding guys for easy buckets and led Duke in scoring again tonight.

Seth Curry missed early shots but was huge in the second half hitting big buckets in the lane, at the stripe and the three.

I thought Thornton played solid defense, Kelly was huge on the boards and Mason was part of the offense tonight as they worked a lot through him. Mason is starting to be a force and allowing the offense to come to him. He even helped break the press tonight. A very solid night for Mason!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Congrats to Nolan and Kyle--you guys are two of my favorite Duke players of all time!

The first half was awful, as usual it seems. Maybe Senior Night-itis, but the offense was clogged, too much Nolan/Kyle watching, too little Nolan/Kyle getting others involved, and it carried over to a sluggish defensive effort. When they quickly erased our 11 point lead, we did not respond well.

I love how we came out in the second half running the offense through Mason, allowing him to handle and distribute. It took the focus off Nolan and Kyle allowing them to work off the ball, it created more space, got Mason involved, and opened things up for Seth, too. Who knew the big guy had it in him to handle and pass like that? I thought it was a brilliant adjustment and was yelling at the TV to keep giving him the ball because he was making a lot of good things happen out there. The defense picked up in kind, and we were able to take control. The inconsistent officiating was bad on both sides, and Nolan let himself get a little too into the chipiness with Stitt.

Like a lot of games, I felt really down at halftime, especially after watching the Holes pull one out in Tally, but the new wrinkle of Mason as point center gives me some hope that we can keep evolving. Honestly, though, one has to feel that the Heels have all the momentum and mojo heading into Saturday's regular season championship game. But, that usually means something off the script will happen. Should be a really good one.

What an appropriate way for Kyle and Nolan to end their Cameron careers. In a hard-fought win, Nolan left on a breakaway dunk, while Kyle left after getting fouled on a rebound, then hitting a free throw. How many times have we seen these players do each of those things?

I can't believe the next time Duke suits up at home, these two players will not be on the court.

Congrats to Kyle, Nolan and Casey on outstanding careers that will be remembered for a long, long time. It was tough for me as a fan to see them exit the game that last time. The finality of four awesome years coming to a game really hit me, but I know that following this year they will be on to great things in life. Congrats guys. You make Duke fans proud to be Duke fans.

Good line about Mason being point center; he played very well and in control the second half.

Clemson played very physical, but I think that will help us in the NCAAT. My recollection is that in the tourney, esp. early, teams tend to drape themselves over us and dare the refs to call a foul on them. Nolan's 2 pushoffs late may have been out of frustration. I hope we can avoid that and just let the refs call the game however they'll call it. We had 20 turnovers tonight to just 13 assists. 12 of those 20 were from our senior leadership. Obviously we need to cut down on that and keep the ball movement going like we did in the 2nd half.

Great contrib by Seth, and although Mason played well, overall we should have been stronger on the defensive glass. Ballhandling was a surprisingly flawed area tonight. Then again, Clemson was all over our guys like a romantically frustrated TSA agent. Not sure how often we'll see that.

Finally, are Patrick and Elmore done now for us for the year, or could they slither out during the ACCT?

To all our players: Well done men, well done. Now let's finish it in Chapel Hill.

Singler/Smith 65-2 in Cameron. Way to protect the house. Nice to see Casey get some playing time as well...

We have some serious work to do if we want to beat UNC Saturday and be crowned ACC regular season champs.

The positives for me: 1.) Great to see Kyle and Nolan go out with a win. 2.) Nice to see the other guys show significantly more fight in the second half.

The negatives: 1.) Len Elmore. 2.) Someone other than Kyle needs to start boxing out on the defensive boards. 3.) Len Elmore.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    Either you forgot the winking smiley or you really need to watch more Duke basketball (and less UNC basketball from the Smith years).

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    No not really. He's never made a habit out of it. You must be confusing him with El Deano (I'm not sure why), who always did it, even if it meant starting three scrubs.

Apparently Mike Patrick believes something named Brad Brownly is coaching the Clemson Tigers.

even when things were a bit rough tonight, I still had confidence in this team. I don't know why, but it was just a feeling. Congrats to Nolan and Kyle, I can't believe this is the last time I will ever see them play at Cameron.

Did Dawkins ever play any minutes tonight?

Bring on Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    No not really. He's never made a habit out of it. You must be confusing him with El Deano (I'm not sure why), who always did it, even if it meant starting three scrubs.
    Dean wouldn't take a timeout to substitute either. I remember rooting for a lot of live action without any chances for substitutions.