Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado

    The Battle For ACC Regular Season

    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 02-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Ye of little faith. They still have to beat us (and FSU and the Maryland game is far from over). I still think we win the regular season championship outright.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Can you explain? A North Carolina win will put them at 12-2 in ACC play, same as Duke.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Actually, even if UNC wins tonight, Duke is still on top as we beat them head to head. Not sure I follow your logic on this one. If UNC wins tonight and beats FSU, and Duke beats Clemson, it will be winner take all next Saturday.

    As for now, Duke is still in first place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    What made you think this?

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    All subsequent posts suggest that what you say here is not correct. Why do you think this is true?
    DukeDevilDeb

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Best basketball in the league? Was that the best basketball last Saturday when they could not even crack 50 pts against BC at home? UNC is winning- we will give them that- but no team in the ACC is playing all that well. UNC may win out- but Duke has more than a fighter's chance.
    dukelifer

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    UNC will lose at FSU and then at home against us. We will win the league outright because we are the best team in the league, just as predicted at the outset of the season

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Can you explain? A North Carolina win will put them at 12-2 in ACC play, same as Duke.
    C'mon. Don't rain on Chicken Little's parade by interjecting facts into this discussion.

  9. #9
    If UNC and Duke would have the same record in ACC play at the end of the season, and if they split their head-to-head meetings, the next tiebreaker would be each's record against the 3rd place team. As of now, that team is FSU, which beat Duke in their only matchup.

    If UNC were to lose to FSU they would likely be 12-3 in ACC play (assuming they win tonight) going into the Duke game.

    If Duke beats Clemson they would be 13-2 in ACC play going into the UNC game.

    In this scenario Duke would have to beat UNC to receive the #1 seed since if both teams were to finish 13-3, UNC would have the tiebreaker based on their 1 win versus FSU against Duke's 0 wins against FSU.

    If VT were to end up passing FSU for 3rd place, UNC would still hold the tiebreaker because they beat VT in their only matchup.

    Unless I am not understanding the tiebreaker rules.

    http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022607aaa.html

  10. #10

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    If UNC and Duke would have the same record in ACC play at the end of the season, and if they split their head-to-head meetings, the next tiebreaker would be each's record against the 3rd place team. As of now, that team is FSU, which beat Duke in their only matchup.

    If UNC were to lose to FSU they would likely be 12-3 in ACC play (assuming they win tonight) going into the Duke game.

    If Duke beats Clemson they would be 13-2 in ACC play going into the UNC game.

    In this scenario Duke would have to beat UNC to receive the #1 seed since if both teams were to finish 13-3, UNC would have the tiebreaker based on their 1 win versus FSU against Duke's 0 wins against FSU.

    If VT were to end up passing FSU for 3rd place, UNC would still hold the tiebreaker because they beat VT in their only matchup.

    Unless I am not understanding the tiebreaker rules.

    http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022607aaa.html
    I don't think you understand your own logic

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    If UNC and Duke would have the same record in ACC play at the end of the season, and if they split their head-to-head meetings, the next tiebreaker would be each's record against the 3rd place team. As of now, that team is FSU, which beat Duke in their only matchup.

    If UNC were to lose to FSU they would likely be 12-3 in ACC play (assuming they win tonight) going into the Duke game.

    If Duke beats Clemson they would be 13-2 in ACC play going into the UNC game.

    In this scenario Duke would have to beat UNC to receive the #1 seed since if both teams were to finish 13-3, UNC would have the tiebreaker based on their 1 win versus FSU against Duke's 0 wins against FSU.

    If VT were to end up passing FSU for 3rd place, UNC would still hold the tiebreaker because they beat VT in their only matchup.

    Unless I am not understanding the tiebreaker rules.

    http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022607aaa.html
    All of that is correct. However, as of right now, if UNC wins tonight, Duke is still in first place due to our head to head win against UNC. I for one am not willing to concede that UNC is going to beat both FSU and Duke this coming week.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cwaugh View Post
    I don't think you understand your own logic
    UNC has already beaten FSU once, maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

  13. #13
    Nah, I think Duke beats Carolina on Saturday. UNC is not playing the best basketball in the league just because they're controlling a Maryland team that Duke already swept. That 48-46 stinkbomb against BC was just two games ago!

    UNC is just lucky that they played VT at home and Duke played VT on the road.

    I still like Duke to win the ACC.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Ah, just what we need on the EK Forum, another stupid Carolina thread!
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    All of that is correct. However, as of right now, if UNC wins tonight, Duke is still in first place due to our head to head win against UNC. I for one am not willing to concede that UNC is going to beat both FSU and Duke this coming week.
    Agreed, I think FSU will give UNC all they can handle. The bad thing is that Singleton will be sidelined which certainly doesn't help their chances.

  16. #16
    Winning the tie breaker for the #1 seed means little in terms of regular season champion. They would get to play who Va instead of BC. But it would be a split regular season championship exactly like last year.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Get back to me if they ever shoot above 40%.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I'm following the gamecast of the UNC-UMD game and Carolina is KILLING them on the offensive glass. In one sequence they got SEVEN chances at the basket before finally laying it in. While the stat sheet shows a modest 18-13 edge on the offensive boards (with a couple minutes left to play) it seems like they are boarding every miss. Our bigs better come ready to play next weekend (and of course not take Clemson for granted either)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Well, I'm not going to let RockyDevil take a beating in this thread because I think what he has said isn't crazy at all. As a previous poster said, if UNC beats FSU (and we win at home this week), then it comes down to a winner take all on Saturday. Why most everyone here thinks that's going to be some kind of automatic win for Duke is beyond me. UNC will be favored in that game and they should be favored. It will take an incredible effort from our boys to come out of CH with a victory. I can appreciate analyzing a potential match-up with your heart instead of your head. We've all been there. And my heart certainly tells me Duke will pull it out. But I'd be lying if I said my head tells me the same thing.

    The only thing I'd disagree with the original poster on is that this will be considered a huge upset. It will be nothing of the sort if we are judging everything based on play in January and February. Duke has not been the same team since Kyrie went down and anyone that disputes that needs to have their head examined. And as much as it pains me to say this, UNC is playing exceptionally well now that they've settled in on their primary players.

    Overall, I think Duke is in about the same position as they were last year at this time (sans Kyrie). We are a pretty good team, but certainly not dominant and certainly vulnerable. We have a couple of fantastic seniors that I hope (fingers crossed) got their last poor games out of their system at VT. Yes, they both tallied great numbers in terms of overall scoring last night, but the last 10 minutes of that game were pretty tough to watch. Anyhow, what I'm saying is we can't afford that type of 2nd half again if we want to advance in tournaments come March.

    I think we certainly have the pieces to go all the way and win another ACC and NCAA title. But our weaknesses are real and without Kyrie there is simply no way to correct all of them. Some just come down to not being able to replace the things Kyrie could do. We just don't have another player like him that could really break down a defense with penetration. And frankly, I also still believe he was our best perimeter defender. Yes, I know Nolan is extremely good on defense, but Kyrie could really lock down the smaller/quicker guards that liked to blow by those in front of them. On top of that, Kyrie was able to initiate fast breaks that led to easy baskets far easier than anyone else on this team. And trapping us with KI on the court? No way. But we are certainly susceptible to that now.

    The bottom line is we are just what Coach K said we were when #1 went down: a good team but not a great team. With Kyrie we were a great team. Now the margin for error is much smaller and we'll have to have a similar run like last year's team did in order to cut down the nets.

  20. #20
    uhh. we do play Clemson first.
    ~rthomas

Similar Threads

  1. Carolina 64, VT 61
    By Tappan Zee Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
  2. Coach K Pay Tops $4 Million
    By Atlanta Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
  3. Triangle tops Charlotte?!
    By SupaDave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
  4. Carolina RPI/SOS
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
  5. carolina
    By Exiled_Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •