Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Talking MBB: Duke-Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Changing the subject, that's for sure. Clemson comes to Cameron for a Wednesday night 9PM ESPN game. Also, it is Senior Day for Kyle and Nolan, a real cause for thanks by the fans and celebration of all they have accomplished.

But Clemson is a team with NCAA ambitions and will surely be ready for the game. Clemson can assure a berth in the NCAAs with two wins this week -- the Tigers host VT on Saturday. It is ranked #36 on Kenpom, and at least one win this week and next at the ACCs could propel the Tigers to the tournament in Coach Brownell's first year.

Clemson has some beef in the middle with Jerai Grant, Devin Booker, and Milton Jennings (6-8 or 6-9, ranging from 225 to 245). Much of the offense comes from Demontez Stitt (6-2 and 14.1) and the waterbug Andre Young (5-9 and 10.9). Clemson is shooting 44% overall but only about 34% from 3-pt land.

Questions for the week are mostly about Duke:

1. Will the Devils try to emphasize inside scoring, given Mason's efficiency (4-5) against Virginia Tech?

2. Who gets to chase Andre Young around the court? Should Seth and Tyler bring their track shoes?

3. In the normal Duke starting lineup, it looks like Kyle would be guarded by 6-5 Tanner Smith. How will the offense utilize Kyle this week?

4. Live by the three, die by the three. After a 4-20 performance against the Hokies, are there any predictions for Wednesday night?

sagegrouse

Clemson on the road in calendar 2011

They are 2-4 in the ACC. Point differential of their road games:

@NC -10
    @MD -02
    @VA -02
    @GT +09
    @ST -08
    @UM +04

In order of kenpom rankings

against #10 -10
    against #16 -02
    against #62 +04
    against #78 -08
    against #101 +09
    against #119 -02

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Questions for the week are mostly about Duke:

1. Will the Devils try to emphasize inside scoring, given Mason's efficiency (4-5) against Virginia Tech? Hopefully we'll make sure Mason gets some touches, but I really can't see a game plan revolving around him just yet.

2. Who gets to chase Andre Young around the court? Should Seth and Tyler bring their track shoes?I believe Seth is the quicker of the two. Hopefully he won't press to hard in an effort to make-up for Saturday night and he stays out of foul trouble.

3. In the normal Duke starting lineup, it looks like Kyle would be guarded by 6-5 Tanner Smith. How will the offense utilize Kyle this week?I hope Kyle remembers how he got the majority of his points Saturday night and against Temple as well. He needs to take it right at Smith.

4. Live by the three, die by the three. After a 4-20 performance against the Hokies, are there any predictions for Wednesday night?I believe friendly rims will help and can we do any worse?

sagegrouse
    I like our chances as long as Nolan and Kyle stay focused and don't get to hyped-up.

We must block out and keep Clemson off the offensive glass. In a couple of Clemson games I've watched, Jerai Grant seemed to be very active on the offensive glass. We've had some challenges with blocking out so this will need to be an area to focus upon.
    Bob Green

Talking Early Game Against FSU

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    They are 2-4 in the ACC. Point differential of their road games:

@NC -10
    @MD -02
    @VA -02
    @GT +09
    @ST -08
    @UM +04

In order of kenpom rankings

against #10 -10
    against #16 -02
    against #62 +04
    against #78 -08
    against #101 +09
    against #119 -02
    Clemson also lost to FSU 69-75 (-6) all the way back in December. The Tigers are 2-5 on the road in the ACC.

sagegrouse

Any chance we could hang a "Welcome to Chapel Hill" banner somewhere in the building and thus assure ourselves of a W?

NO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Any chance we could hang a "Welcome to Chapel Hill" banner somewhere in the building and thus assure ourselves of a W?
    You wouldn't want to defame Cameron Indoor like that

Senior Night

I expect this game to be a lot like last year's Senior Night, 20-30 point blowout. Especially considering the effort that the supporting cast gave in their last outing, it wouldn't suprise me if the other players really rally to seal the deal for Kyle and Nolan on their last night in CIS. These players have been warriors for DUKE BASKETBALL, but this game is an opportunity for other players to pick up the torch and gain a little momentum heading into Chapel Hill.

I beg your pardon

Quote Originally Posted by dwbunkley View Post
    I expect this game to be a lot like last year's Senior Night, 20-30 point blowout. Especially considering the effort that the supporting cast gave in their last outing, it wouldn't suprise me if the other players really rally to seal the deal for Kyle and Nolan on their last night in CIS. These players have been warriors for DUKE BASKETBALL, but this game is an opportunity for other players to pick up the torch and gain a little momentum heading into Chapel Hill.
    Last year's Senior Night was a 27 point blowout in the first half. I'm expecting a much more competitive game.

I'm not expecting a blowout in fact I'm expecting the opposite a competitive game. Clemson will be motivated for the same reason Virginia Tech was motivated they are looking for a signature win to hang their NCAAT hopes on. Moreover, the Tigers have the ability to place a lot of talent on the court. Jerai Grant and Devin Booker are strong athletic inside players, while Demontez Stitt and Andre Young are speedsters. Tanner Smith has the ability to score and Milton Jennings is a versatile player who can come off the bench in a couple of different roles. Bryan Narcisse is a solid reserve.

I'm sure our Blue Devils are anxious to redeem themselves after the disappointing finish in Blacksburg so they will also be motivated to play with intensity from the opening tip. Add in the emotions of senior night for Singler and Smith and all the ingredients exist for a barn burner. Hopefully we can start fast and bring it for 40 minutes. I'm expecting a classic battle between two NCAAT quality teams.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm not expecting a blowout in fact I'm expecting the opposite a competitive game. Clemson will be motivated for the same reason Virginia Tech was motivated they are looking for a signature win to hang their NCAAT hopes on. Moreover, the Tigers have the ability to place a lot of talent on the court. Jerai Grant and Devin Booker are strong athletic inside players, while Demontez Stitt and Andre Young are speedsters. Tanner Smith has the ability to score and Milton Jennings is a versatile player who can come off the bench in a couple of different roles. Bryan Narcisse is a solid reserve.

I'm sure our Blue Devils are anxious to redeem themselves after the disappointing finish in Blacksburg so they will also be motivated to play with intensity from the opening tip. Add in the emotions of senior night for Singler and Smith and all the ingredients exist for a barn burner. Hopefully we can start fast and bring it for 40 minutes. I'm expecting a classic battle between two NCAAT quality teams.
    Nice to see you've rebounded from your post-game funk. I've never seen you so negative like you were the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Nice to see you've rebounded from your post-game funk. I've never seen you so negative like you were the other night.
    Thanks! And sorry I was negative, but we all have our bad nights. My glass is once again half full.
    Bob Green

Most of the things that were working against us emotionally at Va Tech will be working for us on Wednesday.

I expect a strong effort from the team for the seniors' last home game. I don't think it will be a nail biter.

I predict a win fairly easily. Clemson will stick around through the first half as our guys may be too hyped up for senior night. Nolan and Kyle will play well and I expect Andre to continue to play better and more minutes. Plus I see Mason continuing to put up nice numbers

Duke by 16

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Most of the things that were working against us emotionally at Va Tech will be working for us on Wednesday.

I expect a strong effort from the team for the seniors' last home game. I don't think it will be a nail biter.
    But please don't forget the view from the Clemson perspective. Their coaches are likely telling their players: "(1) This is a game we HAVE to win if we want to be sure we can make the NCAA tournament; (2) Look at Duke, they're on the ropes emotionally after that big upset (where they again didn't play very well...); (3) and these guys will be all emotional and mentally 'distracted' (and maybe over-amped) by Senior Night. Go get 'em!"

Personally, I think Duke will be fired up after the loss. BUT, Clemson is a NCAAT-quality team, with some good/great players who can hit us at some weak spots, and the potential is certainly there for an upset. Let's pray our guys come out focused from the get-go. I expect it to stay close well into the second half though.

I think this is a game that is unusually difficult to predict what might happen. Both Duke and Clemson are going to have unusually high emotions for the game. The team that is better able to focus their energy and will into solid basketball will prevail. I sure hope it is Duke. I want this game more than even the game in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Kyle and Nolan deserve a celebration on senior night.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I think this is a game that is unusually difficult to predict what might happen. Both Duke and Clemson are going to have unusually high emotions for the game. The team that is better able to focus their energy and will into solid basketball will prevail. I sure hope it is Duke. I want this game more than even the game in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Kyle and Nolan deserve a celebration on senior night.
    I kinda feel this way too. I WANT Kyle, Nolan, and Casey to go out on Senior Night as WINNERS. After all... 4 hard-earned years. Then, assuming unc beats FSt, the unc game will be "for all the marbles"... that should be extremely fun (stress, etc)

Clemson in Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Actually, Clemson hasn't been much more successful in Durham than they have been in Chapel Hill.

The Tigers' all-time record in Cameron is 4-55 ... in Durham, it's 4-58.

Their last win at Duke was in in the "bad back" year (1995). Since then Duke has won 14 straight at home. Before that, Clemson won here in 1984, so they've lost 24 of the last 25 in Durham. They only other two losses here were back to back in 1976 and 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks! And sorry I was negative, but we all have our bad nights. My glass is once again half full.
    We'll its better than the glass being all empty after the vt game...then getting filled up and emptied several times over...I got cut off eventually, though, and the glass was only half full at the time.
    April 1

After the VT showing, I hope that the players involve everyone, especially down the stretch. Nolan and Kyle, good as they are, will not beat a determined team by themselves. Kyle in particular has been inefficient from 3 over a recent span. On the other hand, he has been very solid closer to the basket. Maybe he can go to his strength again against Clemson.

Underclassmen tend to be deferential to their seniors, especially when the seniors are such capable players. The coaches have to make it clear that it is okay and even desirable for them to stay aggressive. We have the beginnings of an inside game with Mason and also possibly Ryan. Lets get them involved.

We also have both Tyler and Andre who perhaps have been the most deferential when it comes to aggressively trying to get their own shots.

It is not clear whether Curry was in a bad matchup, overly amped up, sick or what. He has quick hands and is long for a 6 footer, but he may not be the best matchup against a quick, aggressive and long guard. We should watch that situation. If he is scoring well and playing good defense, he can be a big plus, but the VT game showed some cracks in his game.

Miles really has been playing good defense but has been a liability of offense. Too bad he hasn't made the jump yet to be able to finish around the basket. Still, it is good to have a third big man to come of the bench and provide minutes.