Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Battle For ACC Regular Season

Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 02-28-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Looks like Carolina is going to take MD to the woodshed tonight, and it appears they are playing the best basketball in the league. It will take a mighty performance on Sat. to beat them in hell...I look for them to win the league in a colossal upset. Nobody say this in December. Jiminyfreakinchristmas.
    Ye of little faith. They still have to beat us (and FSU and the Maryland game is far from over). I still think we win the regular season championship outright.

Can you explain? A North Carolina win will put them at 12-2 in ACC play, same as Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Can you explain? A North Carolina win will put them at 12-2 in ACC play, same as Duke.
    C'mon. Don't rain on Chicken Little's parade by interjecting facts into this discussion.

If UNC and Duke would have the same record in ACC play at the end of the season, and if they split their head-to-head meetings, the next tiebreaker would be each's record against the 3rd place team. As of now, that team is FSU, which beat Duke in their only matchup.

If UNC were to lose to FSU they would likely be 12-3 in ACC play (assuming they win tonight) going into the Duke game.

If Duke beats Clemson they would be 13-2 in ACC play going into the UNC game.

In this scenario Duke would have to beat UNC to receive the #1 seed since if both teams were to finish 13-3, UNC would have the tiebreaker based on their 1 win versus FSU against Duke's 0 wins against FSU.

If VT were to end up passing FSU for 3rd place, UNC would still hold the tiebreaker because they beat VT in their only matchup.

Unless I am not understanding the tiebreaker rules.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022607aaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    If UNC and Duke would have the same record in ACC play at the end of the season, and if they split their head-to-head meetings, the next tiebreaker would be each's record against the 3rd place team. As of now, that team is FSU, which beat Duke in their only matchup.

If UNC were to lose to FSU they would likely be 12-3 in ACC play (assuming they win tonight) going into the Duke game.

In this scenario Duke would have to beat UNC to receive the #1 seed since if both teams were to finish 13-3, UNC would have the tiebreaker based on their 1 win versus FSU against Duke's 0 wins against FSU.

If VT were to end up passing FSU for 3rd place, UNC would still hold the tiebreaker because they beat VT in their only matchup.

I don't think you understand your own logic

Quote Originally Posted by cwaugh View Post
    I don't think you understand your own logic
    UNC has already beaten FSU once, maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

All of that is correct. However, as of right now, if UNC wins tonight, Duke is still in first place due to our head to head win against UNC. I for one am not willing to concede that UNC is going to beat both FSU and Duke this coming week.

Ah, just what we need on the EK Forum, another stupid Carolina thread!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    All of that is correct. However, as of right now, if UNC wins tonight, Duke is still in first place due to our head to head win against UNC. I for one am not willing to concede that UNC is going to beat both FSU and Duke this coming week.
    Agreed, I think FSU will give UNC all they can handle. The bad thing is that Singleton will be sidelined which certainly doesn't help their chances.

Winning the tie breaker for the #1 seed means little in terms of regular season champion. They would get to play who Va instead of BC. But it would be a split regular season championship exactly like last year.

Get back to me if they ever shoot above 40%.

I'm following the gamecast of the UNC-UMD game and Carolina is KILLING them on the offensive glass. In one sequence they got SEVEN chances at the basket before finally laying it in. While the stat sheet shows a modest 18-13 edge on the offensive boards (with a couple minutes left to play) it seems like they are boarding every miss. Our bigs better come ready to play next weekend (and of course not take Clemson for granted either)

Agreed, I think FSU will give UNC all they can handle. The bad thing is that Singleton will be sidelined which certainly doesn't help their chances.
    FSU is irrelevant from an ACC standpoint.

Even if they lose to FSU, it still comes down to DUke game at Carolina. If we beat CLemson, they have 3 losses and we have 2. IF they beat us (at Carolina) we both then have 3 losses and they get the tiebreaker bc they split w us and they split w FSU and we lost to FSU. Is this right? Help me on this one -0 I think this is how it is figured.. if yo split head2head then you go down the list of ACC and that would be FSU where UNC would be better off.

So , no matter what , it all comes down to D at C on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    FSU is irrelevant from an ACC standpoint.

Even if they lose to FSU, it still comes down to DUke game at Carolina. If we beat CLemson, they have 3 losses and we have 2. IF they beat us (at Carolina) we both then have 3 losses and they get the tiebreaker bc they split w us and they split w FSU and we lost to FSU. Is this right? Help me on this one -0 I think this is how it is figured.. if yo split head2head then you go down the list of ACC and that would be FSU where UNC would be better off.

So , no matter what , it all comes down to D at C on Saturday?

you are correct. All that the other games mean is whether we split or win outright
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you are correct. All that the other games mean is whether we split or win outright
    Well, the other outcome made possible by losing "the other game" is that we could lose the conference regular season instead of taking a share of it.

The Clemson game is so important for confidence, regular season standings, tournament seeding (both tournaments)...don't understand why people are acting like its an afterthought and the only thing that matters is Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, the other outcome made possible by losing "the other game" is that we could lose the conference regular season instead of taking a share of it.

The Clemson game is so important for confidence, regular season standings, tournament seeding (both tournaments)...don't understand why people are acting like its an afterthought and the only thing that matters is Carolina.
    Thank you for clarifying that because this was the actual reasoning behind my post. Because not only are we in a position to win the ACC regular season outright, we are also still in position to lose the ACC regular season outright. If Duke wins out, all other scenarios are, in fact, irrelevant. If not, they are very relevant.

Let me make this clear.

Hi,

Duke is NOT in second place at the moment, but in 1st place by itself. The Devils have already beaten UNC. Before worrying about UNC, let's both enjoy and worry about Senior Night this coming Wednesday. I am already a bit teary-eyed thinking about it. Nolan and Kyle (along with Casey) were great ambassadors for both the basketball program and the University as a whole.

I, for one, am not willing to count Duke out against either Clemson or UNC. Don't forget Tyler was injured early in the UNC contest and was not able to play. The kids know how to beat the Heels and they first need to take care of business against Clemson.

GO DUKE!

I know

Yes, thank you everyone, I and everyone else knows Duke is still technically in first place in the league. However, we aren't playing the best basketball and if UNC holds serve as I believe they will since we do not have a third scorer then they will win the league on Saturday. This is what I am referring to. Since Larry the cancer Drew left, they've been playing winning ball. Sans Kyrie, we are not head and shoulders above them as we were in December or early January.

I just believe they will win out and win the league, and if anyone saw that coming in mid-January you are a liar.

Yes, thank you everyone, I and everyone else knows Duke is still technically in first place in the league. However, we aren't playing the best basketball and if UNC holds serve as I believe they will since we do not have a third scorer then they will win the league on Saturday. This is what I am referring to. Since Larry the cancer Drew left, they've been playing winning ball. Sans Kyrie, we are not head and shoulders above them as we were in December or early January.

I just believe they will win out and win the league, and if anyone saw that coming in mid-January you are a liar.

I'm not sure they will win out because FSU is going to give them all they want. I think we'll give them all they want as well, but it's really tough to beat another solid ACC team on their home floor. The good thing is we will have a chance to win the regular season title outright by beating them again. You can't ask for much more than that.

Go Duke!