Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    He plays good defense and plays hard. I don't see too many PG's on the Duke bench that could perform better.
    Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    I take issue with the statement that Paulus plays good defense - that is not his strength. I also believe he is much more effective 2-guard anyway, hopefully, Nolan can play a lot of point (which is where he will need to be in the NBA).
    Yea, I'm not sure what you were watching Rock Chalk, but Paulus' D was pretty bad. I think (hope) that it was due to that injury, but he clearly was unable to guard opposing PGs, and especially unable to stop penetration.

You are right that we didnt have any other PGs who could do better (we dont have any other PGs, besides Jordan Davidson) but I agree with Firealleva that Nolan can come in and contribute right away...not necessarily at Paulus' level, but certainly at a decent level...and Firealleva is also right that Nolan will have to become a true PG after being a combo guard in HS, if he wants to make the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    And what people forget is that everyone trashed the above guards at various times. Jason struggled as Duke started off the season with 2 losses for the first time in who knows how long. Duhon was still getting ripped on this board even as late as the start of his senior year. I forget about Avery, but I'm sure people said lots of negative things (I remember plenty questioning his academics). I think that it's almost a rite of passage any PG has to go through.
    The perception of Avery his freshman year was that he was a turnover waiting to happen.

Of all the defections we've had since that fateful year, Avery's is still the one that had me scratching my head the most, Shav being a close second.

Dave

"Of all the defections we've had since that fateful year, Avery's is still the one that had me scratching my head the most."

Family needed money and Will wasn't exactly enamored with classwork.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Of all the defections we've had since that fateful year, Avery's is still the one that had me scratching my head the most."

Family needed money and Will wasn't exactly enamored with classwork.
    You're right Jim, and looking back I misremembered quite a bit about Avery. Turns out he was drafted 14th that year, which isn't nearly as bad as I thought. For a guy with his shooting range and quickness, why didn't he stick in the NBA?

Dave

Avery and the 1999 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ojaidave View Post
    You're right Jim, and looking back I misremembered quite a bit about Avery. Turns out he was drafted 14th that year, which isn't nearly as bad as I thought. For a guy with his shooting range and quickness, why didn't he stick in the NBA?
    I think Avery was quick, but he did not have the explosiveness or lift of a guy like Jason Williams. He had trouble getting his own shot in the NBA, which he did not have any trouble with a Duke, and was not able to run the offense for KG.

Speaking of the 1999 draft, check out these draft busts from the first round that year...

11. Trajan Langdon (I love him, and he had one 30 pt game, but he was a bust)
    12. Aleksandar Radojević (Not in League)
    14. William Avery (Not in League)
    15. Frederich Weis (dunked on by VC, never saw a minute in the league)
    17. Cal Bowdler (Not in league)
    19. Quincy Lewis (Not in League)
    25. Tim James (Not in League)
    26. Vonteego Cummings (Not in League)
    29. Leon Smith (Lost Mind, Not in League)

That is nine guys who are not in the league from that year's first round. Just under one third of the total first round selections.

Meanwhile, there were serviceable players in the second round like Michael Ruffin (32), Calvin Booth (35), Gordon Giricek (40), Francisco Elson (41) and one of the five best players in the draft was the 57th pick, one Manu Ginóbili.

Quote Originally Posted by thebur View Post
    I think Avery was quick, but he did not have the explosiveness or lift of a guy like Jason Williams. He had trouble getting his own shot in the NBA, which he did not have any trouble with a Duke, and was not able to run the offense for KG.

Speaking of the 1999 draft, check out these draft busts from the first round that year...

11. Trajan Langdon (I love him, and he had one 30 pt game, but he was a bust)
    12. Aleksandar Radojević (Not in League)
    14. William Avery (Not in League)
    15. Frederich Weis (dunked on by VC, never saw a minute in the league)
    17. Cal Bowdler (Not in league)
    19. Quincy Lewis (Not in League)
    25. Tim James (Not in League)
    26. Vonteego Cummings (Not in League)
    29. Leon Smith (Lost Mind, Not in League)

That is nine guys who are not in the league from that year's first round. Just under one third of the total first round selections.

Meanwhile, there were serviceable players in the second round like Michael Ruffin (32), Calvin Booth (35), Gordon Giricek (40), Francisco Elson (41) and one of the five best players in the draft was the 57th pick, one Manu Ginóbili.
    It is true that a lot of the players aren't still in the league, but I don't find that all that surprising 8 years later. I think that it is more significant that most of those players didn't make it past their first contract.

That's cool and all to say that Paulus should be benched if he can't perform to your expectations but my question is who you gonna insert that is better for the team than him? He plays good defense and plays hard. I don't see too many PG's on the Duke bench that could perform better.

Just don't EXPECT him to be Bobby Hurley and you should be okay. I think Duke fans should worry more about their inside game than their guards.
    I don't think it's just my expectations. I don't think Greg Paulus has lived up to the expectations of a lot of Duke fans, and that's not all his fault. That being said, I don't think anyone, including myself, expects him to be Bobby Hurley. That's just being unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I don't think it's just my expectations. I don't think Greg Paulus has lived up to the expectations of a lot of Duke fans, and that's not all his fault. That being said, I don't think anyone, including myself, expects him to be Bobby Hurley. That's just being unrealistic.

I was exagerrating a little.

The biggest problem people at KU have is they EXPECT to win every game and then are devastated when we don't. Expectations have been our biggest downfall in the last 15 years or so.

I was exagerrating a little.

The biggest problem people at KU have is they EXPECT to win every game and then are devastated when we don't. Expectations have been our biggest downfall in the last 15 years or so.
    KU fans don't sound that different from many Duke fans in that respect.

Well, except KU fans are a little misguided. After all, there's no way KU can actually win every game.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Well, except KU fans are a little misguided. After all, there's no way KU can actually win every game.
    Although it is much easier to do in the Big12....

and we did come somewhat close in '97

Good One!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Good One!!!!!
    I may be a KU fan but I'm not stupid....There is a reason most announcers talk about the ACC more than most conferences...they are pretty good.