Kobe Trade speculation

Oh boy - this would be huge: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2916217

KG to the Lakers for Odom and Bynum, but with two other teams involved - the Pacers and Celtics - with Jermaine O'Neal going to Boston.

This would be an all-time nba blockbuster trade and could end up with KG and Kobe together.

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Oh boy - this would be huge: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2916217

KG to the Lakers for Odom and Bynum, but with two other teams involved - the Pacers and Celtics - with Jermaine O'Neal going to Boston.

This would be an all-time nba blockbuster trade and could end up with KG and Kobe together.

WOW!
    Wow is right...and this could actually happen from the perspective of the Lakers. They need star power, and they'd have plenty of it after this.

I don't even begin to see what the TWolves would get out of this trade.

LA gets to keep Kobe and gets KG
    The Pacers get Bynum and Odom
    The Celtics get Jermaine O'Neal

What do the TWolves get for giving up on KG? I am guessing that Boston's #5 pick would be part of the deal so they'd get that. But then you are essentially trading KG for Corey Brewer. Huh?!?!

There are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in to make this work. I find that these 4-team deals often crop up as rumors but rarely seem to actually come to fruition.

-Jason "Kobe and KG -- those 2 in the triangle could be very interesting" Evans

Anyone remember the last time the Lakers almost pulled off a 4-team deal?

Not many of you may remember this, but after the Lakers won their title in 2000 they almost got Christian Laettner in a 4 team deal - it was nixed at the last second by Joe Dumars.

Laettner still had some good years left at that point, it would have been fun to see him in the triangle with Shaq and Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    Not many of you may remember this, but after the Lakers won their title in 2000 they almost got Christian Laettner in a 4 team deal - it was nixed at the last second by Joe Dumars.

Laettner still had some good years left at that point, it would have been fun to see him in the triangle with Shaq and Kobe.
    Even with Laettner's considerable talents, regardless of the third party, I think this would have always been more of a ray.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

What do the TWolves get for giving up on KG? I am guessing that Boston's #5 pick would be part of the deal so they'd get that. But then you are essentially trading KG for Corey Brewer. Huh?!?!

There are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in to make this work. I find that these 4-team deals often crop up as rumors but rarely seem to actually come to fruition.

It would probably include some of the pieces from the orginally rumored Celtics deal: the #5, Al Jefferson (much, much easier for the C's to give up since they get O'Neal in return), maybe Gerald Green. Plus they would get chips from the Lakers and Pacers - probably contract add-ons like Kwame Brown or Jeff Foster, maybe other young talent like Danny Granger, Ike Diogu, or Jordan Farmar. I could see the T-Wolves building around Foye, Jefferson, Granger, and the 5th and 7th picks - probably Brewer and either Noah or Hawes, with Yi Jianlian as a wildcard possibility. Is it 100 cents on the dollar for Garnett? No, but you have no chance of getting that. Picking up Jefferson, the #5, Granger, and an expiring contract for some cap flexibility would be a pretty decent exchange. Plus, they can possibly add by subtraction (i.e., unloading Jaric, Troy Hudon, or Mark Blount and their terrible contracts). I think there's a lot of possibility here for the T-Wolves in making this trade.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I'm guessing that there would also be some young players from the Celtics thrown into the mix (there would have to be some). I don't think that they'd include Jefferson, but there is plenty of talk about West being a consideration in general. The article doesn't mention specifics for all the teams, but just says that others would be part of it. As I said, I don't think that the Celtics want to trade Jefferson, but I'm guessing that most of their contribution would go to the Wolves (who would rebuild at this point).

Rumors have this deal being dead...

The Celtics may have seen the light and realize that this is not a good deal for them. Giving up the #5 and Al Jefferson for Jermaine O'Neal is simply stupid. They aren't going to win this year and Jefferson is much younger (and healthier) than O'Neal, plus they'd be giving up #5 (Yi, Green, Brewer?). They've nixed this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    The Celtics may have seen the light and realize that this is not a good deal for them. Giving up the #5 and Al Jefferson for Jermaine O'Neal is simply stupid. They aren't going to win this year and Jefferson is much younger (and healthier) than O'Neal, plus they'd be giving up #5 (Yi, Green, Brewer?). They've nixed this deal.
    Ahh, I must have misread the article, I thought that Jefferson wasn't on the block as part of the deal. I can understand why they wouldn't want to trade Jefferson at this point, he really came on last year.

Yep, the Celtics definitely would not give up Jefferson. What they ARE rumored to be giving up is the #5 pick, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, and Theo Ratliff to Minnesota. Is this fair value for Garnett? Of course not, but there are two reasons why they would still do this trade.

1) KG has been good to Minnesota so they are trading him in part to give him a chance at the title sooner rather than later. It is unreasonable to expect full value in return when shopping a superstar. They are simply too rare and most teams do not have the pieces to trade for them.

2) The deal gives Minnesota some young prospects plus enormous cap relief next year. In essence, it allows Minnesota to start anew with a big checkbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    2) The deal gives Minnesota some young prospects plus enormous cap relief next year. In essence, it allows Minnesota to start anew with a big checkbook.
    and in advance of some monster free agent possibilities.

however

i understand kobe is saying he would still want out even if KG there.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    i understand kobe is saying he would still want out even if KG there.
    Kobe will change his mind when/if some other star arrives in LA and Kobe realizes the team can actually compete for the title.

Of course, the best way for Kobe to lead a team back to the NBA finals would be for him to be traded to the Eastern Conference. Kobe on any team in the East instantly makes said team on the favorites to win the conference. The 5th or 6th best team in the West is better than the class of the East.

Ok, with that in mind I propose the following trade which DOES WORK under the NBA's salary cap rules!!!

Lakers send Kobe at the #19 pick to the Hawks for Speedy Claxton, Marvin Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Josh Childress, and the #3 pick.

Wooo hoo!!! Would the Lakers make this deal? Claxton and Wright are throw-ins to make the salary cap work. The real juice in the deal is Marvin (a youngest who still has a ton of potential), Childress (a solid but not spectacular NBA player who is also young), and the #3 (probably Horford but maybe Yi or Corey Brewer??). It is worth noting that Wright is an expiring contract which makes him more attractive too.

-Jason "would Kobe approve this deal? Can you imagine him with JJ and Josh Smith running the floor?!?!? WOW!!" Evans

I wonder if Kobe or KG realize that their $22+ million salaries make things a bit tough to sign other free agents?

Who could the Lakers or Wolves pick up via free agency if those two were making a lowly $15 million/year?