Al-Farouq Aminu eliminates UNC from list

The #3 player in the country according to rivals and scout, Aminu has narrowed his list to two schools: Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

Add Aminu to the list of top recruits to pass on a UNC offer.

By my count, the list includes Jrue Holiday (rivals #2), Aminu (#3), Samardo Samuels (#6), and Delvon Roe (#10). They have offered Ed Davis (#5) and Tyler Zeller (#16); however, from what I've heard, Davis is leaning towards Uconn.

Roy better have a plan B, because my guess is he won't have Lawson, Ellington, or Hansborough after this season.

On the flip side, Skip Prosser is doing a pretty good job selling Wake after the last two seasons they've had. Ty Walker (#7) and Aminu might be the best class ever at Wake.

meanwhile, duke has locked up the following recruits:

I sense your sarcasm. However, we brought in a major class this year. UNC did not bring in a single player. They will have a RS Fr. next year but thats not much. They were supposed to clean house this year, and from the looks of things thats not going to happen. Also, our major targets have not marked us off their lists. UNC's have. They may pull out a decent class still, but I can't say I can't help but laugh at Carolina co-workers. Enjoy it, they'll be back.

Focus energy in the right place

It is a waste of energy to laugh at Carolina for failing to sign their top recruiting targets. As phaedrus points out, we have signed no one. While I'm optimistic that we are in good shape re Monroe & Williams, there is still much work to be accomplished. Instead of laughing at Carolina, we need to be posting positive comments about our program and encouraging our top recruits to come join the Duke family.

So - Class of 2008/2009/2010 - if you happen to be reading, we would love for you to come play at Duke!

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

If UNC misses on Davis and Zeller then there may be cause for joy. With their luck, though, they will probably have a Julius Peppers or David Noel materialize on their roster. Then there is that loaded 09 class to match with all the playing time they would have to offer.

UNC from everything Im reading is leading for Davis UNC will get his last visit which is not good for us Duke fans. They got Drew, and if they get Davis and Im reading they are in good shape for Zeller, with those three that will be a good class.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Roy better have a plan B, because my guess is he won't have Lawson, Ellington, or Hansborough after this season.
    I am betting Roy will have Hasbro back for another season after this one. I just don't see his stock getting high enough for him to leave after next year -- unless they win the national title this season and he decides there is nothing left to play for. If he had wanted to go early, Hasbro would have left in this draft. He is happy in school and will stay. I think he will see a number of awards and career marks he can set if he sticks for his senior year and he will stick around.

Lawson would have been smart to leave this year (look at all the attention Crittendon is getting right now) but after chosing to stay he could be stuck in the most PG-heavy draft in a long time if he comes out next year. The 2nd best PG in this year's draft is no better than the 6th or 7th best in next year's draft. While I think he could leave, I could see a scenario where Lawson stays one more season after this one.

Finally, Ellington did not exactly light the world on fire as a freshman. If he has a disappointing soph campaign he almost has to stay in school because his stock would stink.

So, don't be so sure that Carolina will lose everyone.

-Jason "again, Lawson was a fool not to come out this year-- and it may cost him a lot in the end" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "again, Lawson was a fool not to come out this year-- and it may cost him a lot in the end" Evans
    Even if he has a dynamite year and they win it all, I STILL think you are right because his size will cost him. I could see a scenario where he is a 2nd/3rd team AA, and has a great year but still is considered the 3rd best PG in the draft because guys like Mayo are bigger and have better jumpers. That could easily knock him out of the lottery...
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 06-25-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

I don't think anyone has a real read on Davis. UConn folks think they lead for him, Virginia folks feel the same. Looks like we may find out soon.

Jason, don't forget the Heels will lose Quentin Thomas, the best third-string point guard in NCAA history.

I agree that Lawson might have been well-served by going this year but if he projects as the best point guard in the '08 class--as he well may--then it doesn't much matter how deep the point guard class is.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Even if he has a dynamite year and they win it all, I STILL think you are right because his size will cost him. I could see a scenario where he is a 2nd/3rd team AA, and has a great year but still is considered the 3rd best PG in the draft because guys like Mayo are bigger and have better jumpers. That could easily knock him out of the lottery...
    He would have to have a truly great season to be considered the #3 PG in the draft. OJ and Rose are virtually certain to be ranked ahead of him. I think at least one of Bayless and Gordon will be ranked higher as well. After the season Darren Collison had, I think he will be ranked above Lawson too-- and think of how good Collison's numbers are going to be this year playing with Love?

Lawson must become a much better shooter to really move up in next year's draft... either that or he needs to grow about 3 inches.

-Jason "if he had come out this year, he'd have been late lottery... next year, he is late-teens to mid-20s" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I agree that Lawson might have been well-served by going this year but if he projects as the best point guard in the '08 class--as he well may--then it doesn't much matter how deep the point guard class is.
    Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, and OJ Mayo are all like 6-4 or 6-5. Lawson is 5-11. In the NBA size matters.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He would have to have a truly great season to be considered the #3 PG in the draft. OJ and Rose are virtually certain to be ranked ahead of him. I think at least one of Bayless and Gordon will be ranked higher as well. After the season Darren Collison had, I think he will be ranked above Lawson too-- and think of how good Collison's numbers are going to be this year playing with Love?

Lawson must become a much better shooter to really move up in next year's draft... either that or he needs to grow about 3 inches.

-Jason "if he had come out this year, he'd have been late lottery... next year, he is late-teens to mid-20s" Evans
    Couldn't agree more. I should have emphasized that this would be a BEST case scenario where he ends up as the #3 PG in the class...and as I said above and you say as well, size will play a factor