Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best (if any) Super Bowl Commercial?

I have to go with Eminem and Chrysler, but then again I am a fierce Detroit advocate.
    Anybody like anything else in what was a rather disappointing line-up?

I was disappointed as well. I agree the Detroit spot was solid.

I think my favorite was the Volkswagon Darth Vador ad.

The snickers follow-up was pretty funny but couldn't top last year with Betty White.

It's pretty bad that I can't even remember much else. I don't know if that says I wasn't paying enough attention or the quality of the ads were just that bad!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    My favorite was the Doritos pug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWb1V87x3o
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I think the commercials have become a let down because so many of them are show and discussed prior to the game. It takes some of the fun out of it if you have already seen the ads prior to the Super Bowl airing. Also, when the game is close, I don't pay as much attention to the commercials.

I did like the Tommy ad - especially the line about the volcano at the end.

I liked the VW commercial. I also thought the Eminem commercial for Brisk was pretty hysterical, especially since he said he didn't do commercials, then was in two of them during the Super Bowl. Now that's irony for you.

Nothing at all appealed to me, except that Detroit public service announcement. In fact, it was well into

the 2nd period that I realized I had not noticed a single commercial. Maybe I was taking naps.

At one point later in the game I was wondering what happened to all of the big time advertisers.
    Many of them skipped this time. Overall, a low D+, but A+ with extra credits for the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    A+ with extra credits for the game itself.
    Yea, the game was awesome. One of the best in YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I have to go with Eminem and Chrysler, but then again I am a fierce Detroit advocate.
    This x1000, weezie! Was raised in a GM family, but it made me want to buy the 200. Detroit stand up!

These were my favorites:

VW/Young Vader
    Audi/Rich people jail - "Hit 'em with the Kenny G."
    Chevy truck/Lassie/Volcano

The Pepsi-max commercials were pretty good, too.

I admit I have low standards, but I'm a sucker for the e-trade baby commercials. They always crack me up.

I'm a long-time VW and Audi driver. I loved both of their big ads, the Vader ad and the Audi Jailbreak one.

"Hit 'em with the Kenny G" was the line of the night.

The best moment was either the end of the Dorito's house-sitting commercial with grandpa being alive or Roseanne Barr getting clobbered by a tree in the snickers ad.

But the kid Darth Vader was my overall favorite.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Doritos one with the guy who licks his friend's finger. I cracked up at that.

AOL Fanhouse has the top 10 rated. In order--

1. VW: Darth Vader Kid
    2. Bridgestone: Beaver
    3. Chrysler: Eminem
    4. Doritos: House sitting
    5. Doritos: Pug
    6. Best Buy: Ozzy and Justin Bieber
    7. Bud Light: Dog Party
    8. Snickers: Logging
    9. Careerbuilder: Chimps in Parking Lot
    10. VW: Black Beetle

--Jason "I also really enjoyed Bridgestone: Reply All" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I liked the Marshall Mathers/Chrysler ad too.

That Motorola ad... someone tell them the 1984 theme has already been done. In fact I thought it was going to be an Apple ad. Now if they had somehow alluded to the original 1984 ad to point out how the shoe's on the other foot nowadays with Apple's dominance of the market... that would have been clever.

My favorite ad was the PSA from the NFL with all the teevee characters rooting for their local NFL teams. Homer Simpson is a Steelers fan!

In case anyone cares...

My favorite was the Volkswagon Darth Vader commercial. The little kid has been on TV all day, on different daytime shows. He is adorable. Great work to the advertising/marketing dept of VW. Best commerical of the super bowl 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    That Motorola ad... someone tell them the 1984 theme has already been done. In fact I thought it was going to be an Apple ad. Now if they had somehow alluded to the original 1984 ad to point out how the shoe's on the other foot nowadays with Apple's dominance of the market... that would have been clever.
    I understood the Motorola ad as a dig at the original Apple ad, with all of the brainwashed masses having their ipod earbuds and the Xoom user reading Orwell before getting on the train.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/...bowl.ads.web/
    Pratt '02, Law '06

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    I understood the Motorola ad as a dig at the original Apple ad, with all of the brainwashed masses having their ipod earbuds and the Xoom user reading Orwell before getting on the train.
    I sort of saw that, and the white backgrounds certainly alluded to Apple too, but they still missed the mark. Again, I thought it was going to be an Apple ad claiming some sort of i-thingy would liberate you from it being 1984. There was no message that Motorola's i-thingy was different enough from Apple's to be worth buying.

Now I have not read what any eose has put on here yet but went ahead and made my list. Ok I did not think the commercials were bad but not great either but better than the last three years.

Favorites:

Volkswagen: Darth Vader Kid
    Bridgestone: Beaver
    Doritos: House Sitting
    Doritos: Pug
    Bud Light: Dog Party
    Best Buy: Ozzy Osbourne and Justin Bieber
    Snickers: Roseanne Barr
    Audi: Release the hounds
    Bud Light: Hack Job
    Doritos: Finger Licking
    Pepsi: Can Thrower
    Chevy: Lassie Truck
    Pepsi: Shooting Cooler
    Bridgestone: Reply All
    Teleflora: Faith Hill
    Budweiser: Tiny Dancer
    Cars.com: Car Buying
    Pepsi Max: First Date
    Volkswagen: Black Beetle

Well now that I am putting them down while looking them up I change my mind. I loved most of the commercials.

Never want to see again:

GoDaddy.com: Danica Patrick
    Mercedes: Diddy
    eTrade: Cat
    eTrade: Suit Fitting
    Mini: Game Show
    Hyundai Elantra: Kaleidoscope
    CarMax: Service Station
    Chrysler: Eminem
    GoDaddy.com: Joan Rivers
    Motorola: Xoom
    Chevy: Cruze
    CarMax: I feel like
    Chevy: Senior Citizens
    Brisk: Eminem

Ok I was right before these are so bad that they bring the good ones down. The rest I was just neutral on and did not put them in here.

What about the halftime show?

Aside from Fergie's mike being dead for the first few minutes; a horrible audio mix that made the singing too loud and the music too low; a dreadful decision to bring up Slash and then never see a closeup of him playing the guitar; really distracting costumes/clothes worn by the Peas; and a hoard of strangely choreographed dancers who seemed like something out of a bad sci-fi film...

...I thought it worked great

NOT!!

Here is a summary of the show in 20 seconds...

AOL"s PopEater had this take on the disaster that is dead on target.

Nevermind that their costume designer opted to dress the Peas as alien invaders lined up to star in 'Tron 3.' Nevermind that the auxiliary dancers dressed as glow sticks. Nevermind that the V in the word "Love" never lit up during 'Where is the Love.'

What made the Black Eyed Peas halftime show so difficult to watch wasn't that they phoned it in. They didn't. BEP was trying really hard, and that's what made it sad.

Yes, what made it so bad was how much effort they put into their show and it still ended up sucking royally. When they weren't screaming over a sound system that failed early in the performance, the singers were off-key and occasionally off-verse.
    --Jason "really, really bad" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What about the halftime show?

Aside from Fergie's mike being dead for the first few minutes; a horrible audio mix that made the singing too loud and the music too low; a dreadful decision to bring up Slash and then never see a closeup of him playing the guitar; really distracting costumes/clothes worn by the Peas; and a hoard of strangely choreographed dancers who seemed like something out of a bad sci-fi film...

...I thought it worked great

NOT!!

Here is a summary of the show in 20 seconds...

AOL"s PopEater had this take on the disaster that is dead on target.

--Jason "really, really bad" Evans
    Lol could not agree more!!! We did enjoy the glowing Tron like dancers though.