Page 57 of 90 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1785
    Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    The truth is I really believe that we need Irving back. One reason that occurred to me today is that Duke was so much better on the defensive boards before Irving left because Duke could give those long outlet passes to Irving and Smith, so teams couldn't crash the glass.
    While this sounds almost reasonable, I'm pretty sure it's not true. We weren't "so much better on the defensive boards" in the 8 games Kyrie played than the 22 games since. In raw numbers we were a little more than 1 rebound per game better. As a percentage of available misses (which I am too lazy to calculate myself), I'm pretty sure we were no better the first 8 games, or possibly worse (especially if you factor in the quality of the opponents).

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I agree, and that is why I don't like fans communicating that closely with these guys who are ultimately students at the end of the day. The threats to JJ, Nolan, and disrespect to Kyrie are over the top IMO. None have ever ended up being something that haunts us, but I wish the obsessions would stop (talking about generic feelings or opinions on a forum is one thing, but having the nerve to contact these guys with these things is another matter). This isn't as bad as the Nolan thing, but them being subject to such close contact is a risk I just don't feel comfortable with.
    As a matter of principle, I agree--but as a matter of law, as you suggested above, that is a very different thing. Threats are one thing, but it's hard to see how you could make a law against disrespecting someone on Twitter and survive a First Amendment challenge. Some of this kind of thing might be reduced if we could limit people's ability to communicate anonymously, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Oh Ozzie ...
    I have been in Siberia for my last venture into Kyrieland. I am out of the Kyriebusiness. I've read the posts past yours speculating that he's heading back to practice (yesterday or today?) but I'll believe it when, well, when we see him dressed out and checking into a game. Anyone who wants to celebrate that at the Angus Barn is welcome to join me/us.

Anyway, we've got more pressing business today.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have been in Siberia for my last venture into Kyrieland. I am out of the Kyriebusiness. I've read the posts past yours speculating that he's heading back to practice (yesterday or today?) but I'll believe it when, well, when we see him dressed out and checking into a game. Anyone who wants to celebrate that at the Angus Barn is welcome to join me/us.

Anyway, we've got more pressing business today.
    Ozzie...I'll be at the Angus Barn if you want to fly me down...hahahaha

Yeah... this thread is already full of so much unreadable garbage that I moved the Biscuitville-KFC discussion to the OT board.

There's been A LOT of leeway given in this thread, at least try to keep it slightly on topic.
    WWJDD?

The news is good, but there is still no way to know if he is coming back... I like to look on the bright side and say he may see some limited action in the ACCT...

BUT HERE IS WHAT I DO KNOW... IF Kyrie comes back, HE IN NO WAY ADVERSELY AFFECTS OUR TEAM... the kid is just too dang good, and he makes everyone better. So, for those who think that if he were to come back he would disrupt our chemisty, forget it... the kid is unselfish, smart and the best player in college basketball (when healthy), he will not hurt us...

And just a side note, I still like our chances without him... we have a pretty good team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    The news is good, but there is still no way to know if he is coming back... I like to look on the bright side and say he may see some limited action in the ACCT...

BUT HERE IS WHAT I DO KNOW... IF Kyrie comes back, HE IN NO WAY ADVERSELY AFFECTS OUR TEAM... the kid is just too dang good, and he makes everyone better. So, for those who think that if he were to come back he would disrupt our chemisty, forget it... the kid is unselfish, smart and the best player in college basketball (when healthy), he will not hurt us...

And just a side note, I still like our chances without him... we have a pretty good team this year.
    Yes, I think you are right--between our smart coaches and smart Kyrie, if he comes back he will be used in ways that can help and not in ways that are likely to hurt--and he will be able to fit into whatever role he needs to.

Should the University take out an insurance policy on his toe?

Hi,

Since the sports medicine and sports trainers deem Kyrie's toe 100% healed and Kyrie has started on the floor practicing (where he could re-injure the toe in scrimmages or what have you) would it make sense for the University to take out an insurance policy on the toe given he may never play for Duke again? I don't know, for example, if those types of insurance policies are only available for injuries that occur in inter-collegiate competition.

I would imagine the odds, unless it hadn't healed properly or he is pushed too hard too early, that the toe is re-injured are pretty remote. Thus, Kyrie could go full-speed knowing that if something did happen to the toe at least he would get 10, 15, 20 million dollars or whatever the insurance policy was. It wouldn't be the same money as staying off the floor completely and being picked in the NBA lottery (at least under current rules) and then hurting the toe, but at least it is something.

Feel free to move to its own thread if this post is not quite in the spirit of the thread. I don't think it belongs in the "should Kyrie turn pro" thread. Thanks.

GO DUKE!

There are NCAA rules regarding insurance policies for injured players. They are complicated but quite common. The bottom line is that it is possible to protect kids who want to come back to school even though they could turn pro and make big bucks.

The school plays no role in any of this though. The policy is for the player and family.

-Jason "If Kyrie comes back to Duke, I am certain he would get one of these policies" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

IF Kyrie comes back, HE IN NO WAY ADVERSELY AFFECTS OUR TEAM... the kid is just too dang good, and he makes everyone better. So, for those who think that if he were to come back he would disrupt our chemisty, forget it... the kid is unselfish, smart and the best player in college basketball (when healthy), he will not hurt us...
    if anybody just watched that UNC game . . . I don't know how the team could be worse with kyrie. Without kyrie, 50% of our shots are 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    if anybody just watched that UNC game . . . I don't know how the team could be worse with kyrie. Without kyrie, 50% of our shots are 3s.
    totally agree

Can you imagine the lift he'd provide if we got him back for the ACC Tourney? I know I should just let it go, but I can't!

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    Can you imagine the lift he'd provide if we got him back for the ACC Tourney? I know I should just let it go, but I can't!
    I am ready to let it go. Someone needs to say now that he is not coming back to put closure to it. This dragging it out, leaving it open for speculation is doing nothing to help our current struggles and perhaps is hurting them buy creating an atmosphere of "we will be fine when KI comes back".

Well if you can't say that he is coming back with no more than 4 weeks to go in the season, then say he isn't coming back, make a decision and move on!!

This "gamesmanship" is starting to make me angry.

I am ready to let it go. Someone needs to say now that he is not coming back to put closure to it. This dragging it out, leaving it open for speculation is doing nothing to help our current struggles and perhaps is hurting them buy creating an atmosphere of "we will be fine when KI comes back".

Well if you can't say that he is coming back with no more than 4 weeks to go in the season, then say he isn't coming back, make a decision and move on!!

I think that K has been as straightforward as possible and that there is zero gamesmanship involved. Fans have tried to read some glimmer of hope into every statement, but I do not believe the team is speculating at all.

Watch this interview with K on Friday...I don't believe it equivocates at all.

http://duke.scout.com/2/1053334.html

Gamesmanship by who? I can't recall a single statement by Coach K that qualifies as anything other than a straightforward assessment of Kyrie's prognosis. Only on an internet board could we parse Coach K's words to find false hope and then blame him when we're disappointed.

December 10

"It's a serious injury," Krzyzewski told reporters Wednesday night. "I can't say anything more because we are learning information but it is serious and whatever final decision is made will obviously be what's in his best interest. Not to save him for any period of time or whatever, but he could be out [for] a long time."

Asked whether it's possible Irving could be out the remainder of the season, Krzyzewski said, "He could be. He could be."
    January 10

We think there’s a good chance that he’s out for the whole year,” Krzyzewski said. “But he’s progressing well. And that’s the main thing, what his future will be. So we’re going forward with him not being able to play. That’s how we see it. And we would never push a kid if something miraculous happened. We’re just giving you updates. And not because on Feb. 1 he’s going to magically appear from the rafters and start playing again, but because we just want to let everyone know that it’s progressing.”
    February 5

The Hall of Fame Coach continued, “He’ll have a cat scan or MRI in a couple of weeks to see how it’s healing and it should but we still feel he is not going to play so we have to go forward with that.”

But he made it a point to also say that it would still be a while before Irving returned to the court, “He’s a long way from playing, you gotta be 100% before you come back but he is a ways from that but it’s progressing well for his career and it’s being done the right way.”
    March 4

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski says freshman point guard Kyrie Irving has been cleared for “a few basketball-related activities” as he recovers from a toe injury that has sidelined him most of the season.

But the Hall of Fame coach said Friday that he still doesn’t expect Irving to return this season.

Coach K has consistently said that we shouldn't expect Irving back this season. He said it from the first medical report. I'm quite sure he's been preparing the team as though Irving isn't coming back, and I'd be quite shocked if the team has an atmosphere of "we will be fine when Irving comes back."

I think you're projecting the feelings of some of the message board posters onto the team. Just because many folks here have speculated on Irving's return and tried to read more into media reports and may have been too optimistic about his return doesn't mean the team has fallen prey to the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    When you have to live by the 3's you can lose by the 3's.
    been toughest part of our loses as they go cold.
    Best of luck to Kyrie's toe. Hope no HEel got it during
    the stampede.

Next Sunday the rematch could be epic. Now the real seaon begins.

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to put you down for your post. While Coach K. has made the statements that others have been so kind to post in an effort to refute your position, not once has Coach K. or the University held an official press conference or issued a press statement to flatout say he's gone for the year nor has Kyrie himself made that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Coach K has consistently said that we shouldn't expect Irving back this season. He said it from the first medical report. I'm quite sure he's been preparing the team as though Irving isn't coming back, and I'd be quite shocked if the team has an atmosphere of "we will be fine when Irving comes back."

I think you're projecting the feelings of some of the message board posters onto the team. Just because many folks here have speculated on Irving's return and tried to read more into media reports and may have been too optimistic about his return doesn't mean the team has fallen prey to the same problem.
    Yes I am projecting what I hear and read on the board. I am frustrated on a number of levels with KI's injury. But at somepoint there has to be an uniquivical statement that he is NOT coming back. We have less than 30 days to go in the season. We do not know if he is practicing, shooting, jumping, or even running. I want some closure, because if he is not doing those things there is no way he is going to be able to come back.

I do believe there is some gamesmanship going on. Or maybe that is the wrong term, but I believe that if K were sure he was not coming back he would say so to shut people like me up. At what point is that statement coming??? We are in the tournament stage for heavens sake. I really am not bashing K for this at all, I am just sooooo frustrated!!

Does anyone really think at this point he will come back? I held out for as long as I could, but now personally I am throwing the towel in on KI and wishing him the best. I hate it for him and us, that we didn't get to see what might have been. KI has been a blessing to watch on the sidelines, and has been insprirational in his support. He will always be a Blue Devil, I just need to move on for my own sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    As a matter of principle, I agree--but as a matter of law, as you suggested above, that is a very different thing. Threats are one thing, but it's hard to see how you could make a law against disrespecting someone on Twitter and survive a First Amendment challenge. Some of this kind of thing might be reduced if we could limit people's ability to communicate anonymously, though.
    The First Amendment doesn't restrict private parties, such as Twitter, from setting rules in their own domains. You can restrict what is said in your own house. The First Amendment is a restriction on government action.