Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Call me naive, but I don't think NBA money means as much to Kyrie as the Duke experience. And I think this injury, well, the recovery process, shows that Duke is the best place to deal with worst cases.
    I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in preferring college hoops to the NBA, but I think it's a bit unfair to imply that playing in the NBA is only about money. A lot of kids want to play at the highest level on the biggest stage, etc regardless of the money involved. If Kyrie goes pro I wouldn't necessarily think he's selling out his Duke experience just for money, but fulfilling a lifelong dream to test his skills amongst the best in the world. I'm sure it is a tough decision, but not just college vs money.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    According to the rookie scale for next year, the first pick would make $4.4M. There's some room for negotiation, but not much. Here's the full scale for next year (which, of course, almost certainly will change with a new CBA): http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9303
    Does somebody have a link to the insurance option? Is it available to cover these kinds of amounts?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in preferring college hoops to the NBA, but I think it's a bit unfair to imply that playing in the NBA is only about money. A lot of kids want to play at the highest level on the biggest stage, etc regardless of the money involved. If Kyrie goes pro I wouldn't necessarily think he's selling out his Duke experience just for money, but fulfilling a lifelong dream to test his skills amongst the best in the world. I'm sure it is a tough decision, but not just college vs money.
    Duke's selling point to Austin Rivers (well one of the many) was that he would be on national TV more than the Miami Heat (i.e. Lebron.) Duke still has a lot of positive factors such as this weighing in their favor with Kyrie's decision.

Money is a big issue, but I don't think it is as much to Kyrie as your average lottery pick/high prospect. Just look at the kid on the sidelines!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a lockout is pretty close to a foregone conclusion. If so, I think a number of underclassmen will have a much more difficult decision to make. Or perhaps an easier decision!

Encouraging News

Tweets:

@stevewisemanNC
    Drederick Irving said Kyrie's damaged bones and ligaments in right big toe have healed. Next step is rehab to see how toe responds.

@stevewisemanNC
    Kyrie's father was in Durham last weekend, met with doctors and viewed MRI results. "Everyone is optimistic, including me," Dred Irving said

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Tweets:

@stevewisemanNC
    Drederick Irving said Kyrie's damaged bones and ligaments in right big toe have healed. Next step is rehab to see how toe responds.

@stevewisemanNC
    Kyrie's father was in Durham last weekend, met with doctors and viewed MRI results. "Everyone is optimistic, including me," Dred Irving said
    Thanks for linking to those. The next tweet says "Dred Irving said top concern is getting Kyrie "110 percent" healthy before he thinks about playing again. #duke".

My question is does that mean 110 percent healed or that Kyrie is back to 110 percent strength/form in his toe? Based on that somewhat vague first tweet, it sounds like the toe is nearly 100 percent healed. He clearly has lost some flexibility and strength, however, so won't be ready to return. But based on his father's wording, it sounds like he doesn't want Kyrie to play unless he has fully regained 100% strength in the toe (although making that comparison would prove pretty much impossible unless they did toe strength tests before the injury), even if it's technically 100% healed. Just saying there's a distinction between 100% healed and completely 100% "back-to-normal." Am I overanalyzing this? I would hope Kyrie plays when the toe is 100% healed and there's no risk of re-injury, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be back to his pre-injury form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Am I overanalyzing this?
    Yes.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

*speculative conspiracy warning*

Didn't his father originally say 100%? Maybe he was surprised that it has healed as well as it has but still doesn't want Kyrie to play, fearing another injury, so he bumped his requirements up to 110%. To me, if it is healed, then it is just a matter of building up the strength in his toes/foot which I think he has time to do and still make a return. Or maybe I'm just overly op(toe)mistic?

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post

Didn't his father originally say 100%? Maybe he was surprised that it has healed as well as it has but still doesn't want Kyrie to play, fearing another injury, so he bumped his requirements up to 110%. To me, if it is healed, then it is just a matter of building up the strength in his toes/foot which I think he has time to do and still make a return. Or maybe I'm just overly op(toe)mistic?
    Seeing as there is no such thing as 110 percent, since you can't have more than a whole, that Kyrie's dad is simply using hyperbole to emphasize that they want to make sure he is all the way healed before he plays or thinks about playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Am I overanalyzing this? I would hope Kyrie plays when the toe is 100% healed and there's no risk of re-injury, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be back to his pre-injury form.
    I think perhaps you are trying a bit too hard...

I cant blame Dred Irving one bit for looking out for his son's best interest... that's his JOB and his right as a parent. Good for him!

Most of us have different choices to help our kids make...
    Do I let my reckless, irresponsible teenage (too redundant?) son get the red sports car he wants... or the used volvo wagon he is less likely to kill himself with..

I'm sure KI wants to be in the game tonight. But you sometimes have to put that aside and do the smart thing.. and your parents should help you with identifying what the "smart" things are.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Seeing as there is no such thing as 110 percent, since you can't have more than a whole, that Kyrie's dad is simply using hyperbole to emphasize that they want to make sure he is all the way healed before he plays or thinks about playing again.
    You underestimate the skill of the DUMC staff. With their latest scientific and medical breakthroughs, they can now achieve 110% efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    You underestimate the skill of the DUMC staff. With their latest scientific and medical breakthroughs, they can now achieve 110% efficiency.
    I thought was only if they used stem cells from Nate James.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post

Well I think in a way, building up the strength and flexibility is all part of the healing process. It helps put less pressure on the once damaged area and helps prevent damage in the future. It's an injury, I don't think a toe or any other part of the human body to heal beyond the normal realm of possibility

So far, so good.

Now let's see if his toe responds to rehab.

But this is very encouraging, no?

I thought was only if they used stem cells from Nate James.
    Naaah - from Patrick Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    So far, so good.

Now let's see if his toe responds to rehab.

But this is very encouraging, no?
    Agreed. Extremely encouraging considering most of what we've heard up until now hasn't painted as rosey a picture.

It sounds like there is a small chance since the window on rehab is small, but it is a chance none-the-less.

Forget 110%. Let's get that thing up to 200% healed!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Forget 110%. Let's get that thing up to 200% healed!
    Nate would have to give up his whole toe for that kind of efficency.

Nate would have to give up his whole toe for that kind of efficency.
    Nate would do it.

Without anesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Nate would do it.

Without anesthetic.
    He'd cut both off just so they match.