Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Good to see you around these parts again, Ken. Your views are always welcome.

As for Kyrie and the NBA Draft, I don't think he has addressed it in any way since arriving at Duke but many of us feel there is a good chance he will leave based upon his draft stock. Even with the injury causing him to miss almost the entire season, Kyrie is rightly projected as one of the top 3 picks in the upcoming draft. It is exceedingly rare to see a kid turn down that kind of draft position to come back.

It happens, but not often. Many felt Ed Davis was a mid-lottery pick after his freshman campaign and he came back to Carolina for another year. Some felt Mason Plumlee could have gone in the lottery a year ago, but he was so raw and knew he needed so much development that he came back to Duke. Blake Griffin would have been a lote lottery pick after his freshman campaign but came back to Oklahoma and turned into the #1 pick in the draft the next season.

But none of those guys had stock quite as high as Kyrie. They were all going to be drafted based on raw size and athleticism in a big man, not on NBA readiness. They al would have spent a year or more on an NBA bench developing and figuring out the game. They decided it would be more fun and allow them to develop better by coming back to school.

Kyrie is somewhat different in that he is largely seen as NBA ready RIGHT NOW. He is not a raw, athletic post player. He is a guard with sublime skills and quickness. There is a difference.

Look, he could decide to come back. No one outside of his family really knows what he is thinking. Some say the injury has left him with unfinished business at Duke and he will come back to play alongside his buddy Austin Rivers. Some say the injury has put fear in him that he might never get to cash in on his tremendous talents and he will go to the NBA instead of risking further injury that could end his career before it ever gets started (though there are insurance policies that can take care of much of that risk).

We simply will not know the answer to this until mid-April, I suspect. It is encouraging that, by all signs, Kyrie remains engaged as a Duke student and is still attending classes. Plenty of kids make up their mind about the NBA and then stop going to class, essentially giving them no option except entering the draft. That is not Kyrie.

When the season is over, I am sure he will sit down with his family and with Coach K and figure out what he wants to do and what is best to do. Whatever he decides, whoever he is playing for, I will root for him like mad next season.

-Jason "I just hope we get to see more than 7 games of him playing for Duke" Evans
    With the first pick in the 2011 NBA draft the Cleveland Cavaliers select....

Those words would be enough to deter me from entering my name but...

10 million a year would probably be another story...

Who knows? It's easy to talk about this with him being on the bench. However, I do not think I have ever had so much fun watching someone "cheerlead".

Never thought I'd say this but, Here's to a Kentucky fan being right.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Who knows? It's easy to talk about this with him being on the bench. However, I do not think I have ever had so much fun watching someone "cheerlead".
    Coach K spoke to that last night, that how happy Kyrie appears is for his teammates. He said Kyrie's really been a bit sad that he can't be out there (as you can imagine) and that his support for his teammates really just shows what a strong person he is.
    1200. DDMF.

With the first pick in the 2011 NBA draft the Cleveland Cavaliers select...
    Talk about cold water in the face. Reminds me of when Danny Ferry chose to go to Italy as opposed to playing for the Clippers.

I hope to see him playing the end of this year as well as next year. He could be NPOY next year, heck he could have been it this year if he had stayed healthy. So there is something to prove here, and he may like college and K and the other players enough to want to stay for next year.

You only get to be young once. Money cannot buy back the experience of college.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Money cannot buy back the experience of college.
    only in uk....oh wait...that's buying back the experienced players
    1200. DDMF.

Talk about cold water in the face. Reminds me of when Danny Ferry chose to go to Italy as opposed to playing for the Clippers.

I hope to see him playing the end of this year as well as next year. He could be NPOY next year, heck he could have been it this year if he had stayed healthy. So there is something to prove here, and he may like college and K and the other players enough to want to stay for next year.

You only get to be young once. Money cannot buy back the experience of college.
    Right! Someone posted a link to a Cav's message board (post injury I think) and they want Kyrie. The situation may not be a dreary as we perceive it to be. That town needs a player they can rely on. This would be one heck of a challenge, which may interest some players.

K also spoke about how Kyrie was the best guard in the country before he went down. There are plenty of items left on the table for Kyrie to go after: individual goals and team goals. However, this would also include heading to the NBA.

I agree with your thinking and the situation will be a fun one to follow. Either way Kyrie has been a great addition to the Duke Family and no doubt will be a great ambassador to the league.

Money cannot buy back the experience of college.
    With all due respect, it's very easy to say things like this when we're discussing *someone else's* money.

I have my suspicions about what Kyrie will do, but they're only that - suspicions. I'm always a little wary when fans profess to know what's going on in the head of someone they've never met. I can recall a UNC fan calling talk radio after the 2005 season, convinced that Felton would be returning, because (paraphrasing) he was a good kid and wouldn't want to leave UNC in the lurch for the following season. The caller didn't sound like he'd ever set foot on the UNC campus, but in his mind, he knew what someone he'd never met was thinking.

re: the Cavs - they have only a 25% chance of getting the top pick, per the NBA's bizarre lottery system, and chances are good they'll be in the exact same position next year.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Call me naive, but I don't think NBA money means as much to Kyrie as the Duke experience.
    It wouldn't be the first time that the non-monetary choice has been made.

But all three of us are ultimately going to take less money because we wanted to all play alongside each other, and we feel like we can be great together. LeBron James. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365165
    Of course, when you already have more money than you can spend in a lifetime it becomes easier to make this kind of choice.

Ill wager a Nolan Smith jersey that Kyrie is in a DUKE uniform for 2011-12 season.

FWIW, before the season began, Kyrie's high school buddy in a chat (or was it twitter?) exchange was like "259 days until your dreams!" or something to that effect. That was the number of days until the NBA Draft. Kyrie responded like "shhhh, you can't say that online! Keep it on the dl." In any event, it seems like Kyrie went into the mindset that his ultimate goal was to be NBA ready after a year of college when he was going into the season. Certainly, his injury and other factors could play into a decision and it's possible he has changed his mind, but that was at least my impression going in.

And for the record so we don't have this debate next year, Austin Rivers has explicitly stated it's his goal to be drafted after his freshman campaign.

Austin:
    I would love to be a one-and-done. I think that’s every kid’s goal whether he admits it or not. But my ultimate goal is to go at the right time. If that’s after one year then so be it. If it’s two years then that’s fine too. I’m in no rush. The reason I say after one year is because that would mean that I was playing to my maximum potential and that’s always my goal when I step on the court.
    http://dimemag.com/2010/07/austin-ri...-one-and-done/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    FWIW, before the season began, Kyrie's high school buddy in a chat (or was it twitter?) exchange was like "259 days until your dreams!" or something to that effect. That was the number of days until the NBA Draft. Kyrie responded like "shhhh, you can't say that online! Keep it on the dl." In any event, it seems like Kyrie went into the mindset that his ultimate goal was to be NBA ready after a year of college when he was going into the season. Certainly, his injury and other factors could play into a decision and it's possible he has changed his mind, but that was at least my impression going in.

And for the record so we don't have this debate next year, Austin Rivers has explicitly stated it's his goal to be drafted after his freshman campaign.

Austin:

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/austin-ri...-one-and-done/
    Nobody envisioned Kyle would be here for 4 years, maybe his goal wasn't 1 year like these guys have been clear about, but he's said the goal is the NBA, but when he got here he enjoyed it so much he wantedto stay 4 years. Nobody knows what kyrie is thinking. As with all players, I'd love to see him back, but if he can make the jump and that's where he decides to be in his life, good luck, proud that you were a blue devil.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Nobody envisioned Kyle would be here for 4 years, maybe his goal wasn't 1 year like these guys have been clear about, but he's said the goal is the NBA, but when he got here he enjoyed it so much he wantedto stay 4 years. Nobody knows what kyrie is thinking. As with all players, I'd love to see him back, but if he can make the jump and that's where he decides to be in his life, good luck, proud that you were a blue devil.
    Just look at Andrew Luck, #1 pick, his stock couldn't get any higher and he decides he loves college and wants to go back. It happens, guys feel like they have unfinished business and want to go take care of it and it's not always about the money. If Kyrie comes back this year and we win a title I see him jumping to the NBA, but if he doesn't come back and we don't win a title maybe that unfinished business brings him back. No one knows but Kyrie and I will respect his decision either way.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    No one knows but Kyrie and I will respect his decision either way.
    I think you hit on the point here. It is up to Kyrie as to what is right for him - in his own mind. My values/desires/wishes have no import or impact on Kyrie's right to his own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I remember this as well, and being dispirited by it. However, that was before Kyrie got to Duke, and before the injury, so I am not sure Kyrie necessarily feels the same way now.

Call it semi-paranoid speculation if you wish, but I would be very, very surprised to see Irving at Duke next season.

I think it would be great motivation/inspiration for the team and the home crowd to have KI dressed to play. However, I have no delusions he will actually take the court tonight.

Or any other night.
    I think KI is gone. Hes a top 5 pick just off 8 games in a Duke uni. Why risk exposing flaws in his game or re-injury? I get that side of it.

I also get that players wanna play and compete. Players wanna play with other great players. This injury dealie... he may very well feel shortchanged on collegiate experience and want to do it again injury free. ESPECIALLY considering his HS team was not allowed to play for the NJ state title (or something to that effect) I can understand a guy wanting to prove something and get a ring.

I want him back too..

But I think a look at the old check-book balance will help focus the issue for the Irvings.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Just look at Andrew Luck, #1 pick, his stock couldn't get any higher and he decides he loves college and wants to go back. It happens, guys feel like they have unfinished business and want to go take care of it and it's not always about the money. If Kyrie comes back this year and we win a title I see him jumping to the NBA, but if he doesn't come back and we don't win a title maybe that unfinished business brings him back. No one knows but Kyrie and I will respect his decision either way.
    If Kyrie wants to know a bit about what it is like to make a decision to give up millions to stay in school, he only needs to look at the guy wearing #12 for Duke this season.

Singler may not have been a high lottery pick, but he was going to be a first-rounder if he had come out. Instead, he came back.

--Jason "that said, like most folks in this thread, I expect Kyrie to leave and totally understand if that is his decision" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Kyrie wants to know a bit about what it is like to make a decision to give up millions to stay in school, he only needs to look at the guy wearing #12 for Duke this season.

Singler may not have been a high lottery pick, but he was going to be a first-rounder if he had come out. Instead, he came back.

--Jason "that said, like most folks in this thread, I expect Kyrie to leave and totally understand if that is his decision" Evans
    The last Duke point guard from New Jersey also might have something to say on the matter.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

10 million a year would probably be another story...
    According to the rookie scale for next year, the first pick would make $4.4M. There's some room for negotiation, but not much. Here's the full scale for next year (which, of course, almost certainly will change with a new CBA): http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9303
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

As long as we're clutching at the most minute of straws there was this exchange on Twitter some time back:

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFlight23
    QCook323 Quinn Cook
    And if @kyrieirving stays...whoooooooohhh #tufff! RiP DAD!

kyrieirving Kyrie Irving
    @
    @QCook323 yessir!!!

AustinRivers25 Austin Rivers
    @
    @QCook323 yes sir! You already know what it is! We going to do it to the fullest bro! Let's get it!!
    Now, when Rivers said "You already know what it is!" it sounded to me like he was interpreting Kyrie as stating that he has already made the decision to stay. Others have told me "No, no, no...that doesn't mean that at all. It just means something like 'For sure, I agree that it would be great if we played together'." Any dialecticians in residence?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Call it semi-paranoid speculation if you wish, but I would be very, very surprised to see Irving at Duke next season.

We can sit here giving our own opinions on why we think he'll stay or go until the cows come home. Really though, is this talk productive? Im not saying you Jim in particular, but honestly, no one knows where his heart is at at the moment and how its changed (if any) since the injury. He'll talk to Coach K and his family after the season and iron out what is best. I am sure Coach K would be very supportive either way.