View Poll Results: How confident are you in Duke's overall future?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 (very confident)

46 38.02%

32 26.45%

26 21.49%

13 10.74%

4 3.31%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 (no confidence)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very confident. We have a very bright future. Great talent this year, and maybe KI will be back. Great talent coming in next year. Best coach in the game. Best home court arguably. Best fans arguably.

Not much not to like. An injured star, some position players need to mature. In a bit of funk at the moment. All that will resolve.

I'm as confident as possible, not saying we're a lock for a repeat, but we're in the mix, gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Ok not to bash here, but that is just one ignorant post man. Of course its Duke mens basketball.
    Ohhhh, THAT really narrows it down.

Confidence that this team would go undefeated for the year? 0 now, formerly 1

Confidence that the current team is the best in the country and will go to the final four? 5 now, formerly 7

Confidence that it is a very good team with as good a chance as any other college team to get to the final four and win it all? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that this team like any good team can lose at any point, including early in the tournament? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that Duke men's basketball will for the foreseeable future remain one of the elite teams and programs in the country year-in, year-out? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that this exercise is a waste of time, except for making fun of inane polls? 10 now, formerly 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Ohhhh, THAT really narrows it down.

Confidence that this team would go undefeated for the year? 0 now, formerly 1

Confidence that the current team is the best in the country and will go to the final four? 5 now, formerly 7

Confidence that it is a very good team with as good a chance as any other college team to get to the final four and win it all? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that this team like any good team can lose at any point, including early in the tournament? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that Duke men's basketball will for the foreseeable future remain one of the elite teams and programs in the country year-in, year-out? 10 now, formerly 10

Confidence that this exercise is a waste of time, except for making fun of inane polls? 10 now, formerly 9
    As I explained earlier, you can interpret "How confident are you in Duke's overall future" and vote in the poll any way you see fit. Or, you know what, don't bother. 100+ other people didn't complain and didn't seem to have a problem voting. We won't miss your input.

Talking Very Confident

a. That Duke will remain one of the 4-5 top college programs over the next five years.

b. That each year will have potential for an ACC championship, a Final Four, and maybe a National Championship.

c. Whether FF and NC are achieved will probability depend on unknown future values of certain stochastic variables (otherwise known as 'The Basketball Gods').

What are the major risks to the basketball program?

1. K continuing as coach. Well, K is about to turn 64 and his continued enthusiasm for college basketball and good health are important. If he were to retire, someone would be replacing a legend, and except for Joe B. Hall replacing Rupp at Kentucky, there have usually been hiccoughs.

2. Decline in the ACC. I sense that Duke and UNC have taking the starch out of the rest of the teams in the conference. And I don't know that the coaching and competition will again reach the level of 20-25 years ago. E.g., Donahue, Brownell and Tony Bennett look like terrific hires. But whose to stay they don't listen to high-dollar offers from teams in the other major conferences?

3. Player matters. Some basketball players will not be as good as the staff thinks; some may even be better. I worry less about teamwork and character, not because we recruit saints, but because the program is so well run and expectations for player behavior are so clear.

sagegrouse
    ' I didn't read the other comments before posting, so much of this may have been said above'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    a. That Duke will remain one of the 4-5 top college programs over the next five years.

b. That each year will have potential for an ACC championship, a Final Four, and maybe a National Championship.

c. Whether FF and NC are achieved will probability depend on unknown future values of certain stochastic variables (otherwise known as 'The Basketball Gods').

What are the major risks to the basketball program?

1. K continuing as coach. Well, K is about to turn 64 and his continued enthusiasm for college basketball and good health are important. If he were to retire, someone would be replacing a legend, and except for Joe B. Hall replacing Rupp at Kentucky, there have usually been hiccoughs.

2. Decline in the ACC. I sense that Duke and UNC have taking the starch out of the rest of the teams in the conference. And I don't know that the coaching and competition will again reach the level of 20-25 years ago. E.g., Donahue, Brownell and Tony Bennett look like terrific hires. But whose to stay they don't listen to high-dollar offers from teams in the other major conferences?

3. Player matters. Some basketball players will not be as good as the staff thinks; some may even be better. I worry less about teamwork and character, not because we recruit saints, but because the program is so well run and expectations for player behavior are so clear.

sagegrouse
    ' I didn't read the other comments before posting, so much of this may have been said above'
    Do not even bother a lot of them are just hate comments about the poll. But your points are good! That is basically what I used to determine my rating for confidence. I also factored in how well recruiting has gone as of late and how it will continue over the next 2 to 5 years.

The poll’s instructions, of course, did NOT specify if “fan confidence” was to be measured for this season, or for the next few years, or for the remainder of the K era, or for an even more enduring period. I voted "9," only because history strongly indicates that the far-future is uncertain. However, in the near-term -- for example, this season -- I would have opted for a "10."