Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Former Dukie on 2010-11 team?

It has been a debbie-downer kind of day (and I have contributed to that). I'm done now....

About a week ago I started thinking about what one player over the last 10-15 years would I want on this Duke team (minus Kyrie). And it has to be player who has not played on a Duke team with our current players.

Who would you pick and why (basketball logic and reasoning encouraged ?

Hurley

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    It has been a debbie-downer kind of day (and I have contributed to that). I'm done now....

About a week ago I started thinking about what one player over the last 10-15 years would I want on this Duke team (minus Kyrie). And it has to be player who has not played on a Duke team with our current players.

Who would you pick and why (basketball logic and reasoning encouraged ?
    Not in your proposed time range, but wouldn't Grant Hill be perfect? Able to handle and penetrate, plus incredibly versatile defensively.

Of course, I'd pick Grant first for any team.

For this team, second choice would be Elton.

Man, that's a tough question. I don't know that there's any right answer.

By limiting to 10-15 years, you take away the Laettner/Hill/Hurley/Dawkins/Gminski/etc. So given that:

One could argue that we need another dominant scoring lead guard like Jason Williams to take the pressure of Smith in the perimeter scoring duties.

One could argue that we need another premier post scorer like Brand or Boozer to give us more versatility on offense so we're not just a 3pt shooting team.

One could argue that we need a dominant post defender like Shelden Williams to protect the rim and swallow up rebounds (and score some points in the post).

One could argue that we need another all-purpose defender like Battier to give us so much more versatility at the 4 spot.

One could argue that we need another pass-first PG like Duhon to take pressure off of Smith in the ballhandling duties.

Frankly, I think any of those are reasonable options. I'd probably lean towards Jason Williams, Brand, or Battier. And honestly, I can't decide which of those I'd prefer. Right at this moment, I'd lean toward Williams, because we currently lack that extra ballhandler with the confidence to attack anyone (and the talent to make it work). But on another night, I might say that adding Brand would mean we could get away with not having as many great ballhandlers. And then of course adding Battier would have less impact on offense, but would make us even tougher defensively.

Yeah, of course it would be nice to add one of two guys whose jerseys are retired or another guy who probably would have had his jersey retired if he'd stayed at Duke and graduated.

Elton Brand. Not even close. Adding a wide-bodied, skilled, athletic big man, an absolute beast underneath at both ends of the floor to what we've got now? Nobody would touch us, or even come close.

Simplest question I've ever answered.

I'll also vote for Brand, with a close second for Boozer. While Jason Williams would undoubtedly make this team better, we do have a lot of depth at guard despite not having a prototypical point guard. But we don't have ANYONE who can bang on the inside. With all due respect to the Plumlees, their games would improve dramatically if they could play alongside a big guy instead of having to be the big guy.

Boozer. He is our best pro ever IMO, and he could have taken the paint and just owned it.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    You can have all of those former great players. I simply want Kyrie Irving back. And my selection is actually possible even if Bilas thinks it is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    You can have all of those former great players. I simply want Kyrie Irving back. And my selection is actually possible even if Bilas thinks it is a pipe dream.
    Yeah, a healthy Irving qualifies as similar (not identical, but similar) to adding a Jason Williams. Getting a Boozer or Brand or Battier in the next month or so just isn't going to happen. Getting Irving back might actually happen.

I do very much hope we are so fortunate to get him back. His presence addresses a lot of our offensive weaknesses, and gives us that one more 15+ ppg scorer that would make us SO tough.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Man, that's a tough question. I don't know that there's any right answer.

By limiting to 10-15 years, you take away the Laettner/Hill/Hurley/Dawkins/Gminski/etc. So given that:

One could argue that we need another dominant scoring lead guard like Jason Williams to take the pressure of Smith in the perimeter scoring duties.

One could argue that we need another premier post scorer like Brand or Boozer to give us more versatility on offense so we're not just a 3pt shooting team.

One could argue that we need a dominant post defender like Shelden Williams to protect the rim and swallow up rebounds (and score some points in the post).

One could argue that we need another all-purpose defender like Battier to give us so much more versatility at the 4 spot.

One could argue that we need another pass-first PG like Duhon to take pressure off of Smith in the ballhandling duties.

Frankly, I think any of those are reasonable options. I'd probably lean towards Jason Williams, Brand, or Battier. And honestly, I can't decide which of those I'd prefer. Right at this moment, I'd lean toward Williams, because we currently lack that extra ballhandler with the confidence to attack anyone (and the talent to make it work). But on another night, I might say that adding Brand would mean we could get away with not having as many great ballhandlers. And then of course adding Battier would have less impact on offense, but would make us even tougher defensively.

Yeah, of course it would be nice to add one of two guys whose jerseys are retired or another guy who probably would have had his jersey retired if he'd stayed at Duke and graduated.
    I say Brand would be good, we would be more of an Ohio St. Look team. Battier would be good for his leadership, hustle, and other intangibles he brings to the table. Plus it allows Kyle to go to the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by cameroncrazy3104 View Post
    I say Brand would be good, we would be more of an Ohio St. Look team. Battier would be good for his leadership, hustle, and other intangibles he brings to the table. Plus it allows Kyle to go to the 3.
    Yeah, I think any of Brand, Boozer, Battier, and Jason Williams is a justifiable pick.

Shane, "Climb On" Battier. He carried every Duke fan on his back to the championship.
    Massive, massive will. With Shane and Kyle, it would be the total Iron Curtain defense.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 01-30-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo

Who's your Daddy?

While watching the game all I could think of was how much I wish this team had Boozer or Brand or Shelden... a big wide body that could have defended the paint today.
    Ultimately we do not have that on this team. So the better question is how do we win this game with the players we currently have?

Toss up between Shav and Casey Sanders for me. As much as we could use a face-up 6'10 forward, we could really use a long, athletic big guy even if he doesn't score much.

...In real life, Brand and it's not close.

Brand, Boozer or Sheldon for the same reasons as everyone else. We are pretty talented and skilled at the 1, 2 and 3, but we could use some more skill in the low post in my opinion.

Brand or Boozer would be unstoppable on offense and intimidating on defense, would elevate the play of the other bigs, and would pull in the attention that frees up our shooters for 3 point shots. With either of them, we'd be discussing an undefeated season.

Battier would be great, but he and Singler play similar roles.

Williams would also get PT, obviously, but we already have a 6'2" All American lead guard who is being forced to play point. Not sure why we'd really need 2 of them.

Of course, anybody with a jersey retired would find a place on the team, but unless it's the monster insider or a great PG (like Kyrie), I'm not sure the team would be hugely improved.

Having addressed the question and while hoping for Kyrie's return and nursing a St. John's hangover, I'd still say I'm having fun watch this particular team play its particular game.

Here's a strange hypothetical: what if Zoubek had taken a medical redshirt his sophomore year, then everything else happened exactly the same, which meant that he still had a year of eligibility left? What would this year's team look like with him back?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Williams would also get PT, obviously, but we already have a 6'2" All American lead guard who is being forced to play point. Not sure why we'd really need 2 of them.
    It never hurts to have two guys who can get to the rim whenever they want. Also, Williams was a better passer off the dribble than Smith in addition to being a fantastic scorer. He'd more than just get PT - he'd be the best player on the team (and that's saying something).

I agree that it'd be a PG or a dominant post guy, which means Williams or Brand (and I'd lean towards one of the first two). That said, Boozer (for his post offense) or Battier (defensive versatility, court awareness, leadership, and just being really good beyond that) would go a long way too.