Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by zack2014 View Post
    Before most games the buses say that. They switch between that "Go Terps! Beat x" and the destination. As for the students here, most of them are scared to death after the St Johns game because, according to a kid on my floor, "I dont think Duke has ever lost back to back games." I havent heard many students feeling optimistic about UMD winning. Wish me luck cheering for Duke from the students' section.
    You, sir, are a brave man. I have walked down the student section at halftime during this game in years past to say hi to friends, while wearing my Laettner jersey, and I often feared for my life. I have had nothing heavier than popcorn thrown at me, though. Also, they always fear they won't win the game. It makes the riot seem more authentic if they think they just pulled off a huge upset.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I expect the Devils to rebound from their poor performance this past weekend and win tonight by 8-10 points. The Terps are a better team than most folks on this board believe but they match up very poorly with the Devils from several aspects. First, Duke has much more talent. Second, Maryland does not have a player who matches up with Singler. Mosely at 6-3 or 6-4 has played him in the past and been unsuccessful. Third, the Terps are a poor shooting team, whereas, the Devils are a good shooting team from the field and foul line. Maryland does have some strengths. They are a very good defensive team, particularly on the perimeter and Williams is playing like a 1st team All ACC player in the middle. Regardless of the recent performance, the Devils are also a good defensive team, particularly against in-conference teams where Coach K and staff know the opposition. As one who roots for both teams, I expect a close game unless the Devils get off to a quick start. The Terps are like college football teams who rely on a running attack or dink-and-dump passing. They don’t have the fire power to come back from big deficits against good teams.

gw67
    Thanks for this analysis, I whipped through the entire thread and found very little discussion of potential tactics. I contacted a Terp aquaintance and here are some of his insights about where Maryland is right now:

"My best guess is a result similar to the first metting (Duke winning a pretty close game). I'm sure the players and the fans will be up for the game, but I don't think too much has changed. Jordan Williams should be able to dominate Duke inside again, but Singler is a real matchup problem for Maryland at either the 3 or the 4 (I happen to think Duke is better served playing him at the 3 with Smith, Dawkins, Curry, and whatever Plumlee isn't in foul trouble). I have no idea what to expect from any other Maryland player though. They are all capable of having a pretty good game, but Tucker, Bowie, and Stoglin have been very inconsistent. Mosley has not played well for most of the year (actually just had a really nice game @ GT on Sunday though). Dino Gregory has been pretty solid this year and is a nice complimentary player when he's hitting his 14 foot jumper (which he's almost always open for since Williams gets so much attention). I think Duke getting crushed at St.Johns hurt Maryland's chances of winning. I didn't see the game though, and maybe Maryland found something that St. Johns did that can help them."

When I mentioned the St John's strategy of a half court trapping D to make Smith dribble a lot and eat shot clock and their offensive strategy of driving on Duke all day, especially with their bigs, this was his response:

"well Maryland could do #1, but I'd be worried abotu Duke's 3 point shooting.
    and there's no chance that # 2 will happen. Maryland doesn't have big men to take you off the dribble."

As I think about this game, I think about the first match-up we had in the 2007-2008 season when Kyle and Nolan were freshman. Coming off the 2007 "down" year, we had a fairly gaudy record (17-1) but the game was at Comcast and it felt like a statement game because we'd lost both games to them the year before. We were down 5-10 points at the half but Demarcus had a monster game and we won. After St. Johns, this team feels a little fragile and a big road win against a rival would be huge. Here's hoping the Georgetown v Syracuse game ends on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I happen to think Duke is better served playing him at the 3 with Smith, Dawkins, Curry, and whatever Plumlee isn't in foul trouble
    That doesn't make sense to me... did he mean to say Singler should play the 4 with those guys?

A Maryland buddy of mine seconded the opinion that other than Williams, their whole roster is very inconsistent. They just don't know who will show up on a given night. Of course, given that they're playing Duke, most likely they'll all show up.

My take is that getting Williams in foul trouble early again will be key. If he hadn't had to sit during the first half of our last game, he might have ended up with 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Buckner Fan View Post
    I think teams have to earn kudos, even though I'll always love my devils. However painful it is to lose to a loudmouth like Lavin, it came at a good time, because we were in huge danger of losing back to back games to Maryland and UNC. We were playing flat and bored. Only Nolan and Kyle are bringing their own passion to the game.

You can bet the team will get an earful from K. It was conceivable that we'd lose to a good St. John's team, but the way we lost was absolutely inexcusable. We didn't try until it was too late.

The Terps played us hard enough to win IN CAMERON. You can bet the game will be a whole lot tougher on the road.

If we play like we did today, then we lose by 15 again.
    I would agree with all of this except the assertion that Nolan and Kyle brought their own passion. Kyle was a bit off most of the game, but he seemed to be trying in the first half. Nolan on the other hand only attempted 4 shots in the first half and looked, frankly, pretty terrible (for him.)
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Nolan on the other hand only attempted 4 shots in the first half and looked, frankly, pretty terrible (for him.)
    Maryland made a concerted effort to cut him off every time he drove with the ball. That was their whole game plan. In the second half we brought in Tyler to run the point, and moving Nolan off the ball seemed to help give him some room to operate. It will be interesting to see if a.) Maryland employs a similar strategy, and b.) Tyler plays a significant role again.

Duke is more talented, UMD has home court and needs a win in the worst way...

Keys to the game IMO:

1. Attack the basket early and often (and hopefully get Williams into foul trouble).
    2. Control the boards.
    3. Curry and/or Dawkins shooting well.

Duke wins if we do 1. OR 2. AND 3. It is going to be tough for Singler and Smith to do it all tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Maryland made a concerted effort to cut him off every time he drove with the ball. That was their whole game plan. In the second half we brought in Tyler to run the point, and moving Nolan off the ball seemed to help give him some room to operate. It will be interesting to see if a.) Maryland employs a similar strategy, and b.) Tyler plays a significant role again.
    Since the first MD game our best counter to this defensive strategy has been Ryan Kelly. Nolan's penetration usually comes from a ball screen on the left wing or at the top of the key and he beats the hedging defender and then heads down the right side of the lane. When defenders have been collapsing on him recently he's been much better at kicking it to Kelly (and sometimes Curry) in the corner for the open three, or pump fake pull up j. If Duke spaces well and Kelly stays hot then the driving lanes open up for Nolan

I think it will be interesting to see if Thornton starts in an attempt to get Nolan off to a better start.

Thumbs up I, dukestheheat,

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lets change the subject.

Duke has a difficult match-up in College Park with the Terps -- made even more so by the St. John's game. Here are the questions to ponder:

1. Outside shooting? Can Duke return to form?

2. Perimeter match-ups? Can Duke take advantage of Maryland's relative weakness in the backcourt, given the loss of Grevis and Eric Hayes from last year's team.

3. Jordan Williams has been a load to defend, esp. for Duke. Williams went for 23 and 13 last time in a seven-point loss. That won't cut it. How does Duke defend against Williams?

4. What's the hangover from St. John's? A newly invigorated team or one whose confidence has been shaken?

Lets give some love to the Devils!

sagegrouse
    like our chances tonight, based on history. Enough said.

LET'S GO DUKE!! THROTTLE UP!!

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    You, sir, are a brave man. I have walked down the student section at halftime during this game in years past to say hi to friends, while wearing my Laettner jersey, and I often feared for my life. I have had nothing heavier than popcorn thrown at me, though. Also, they always fear they won't win the game. It makes the riot seem more authentic if they think they just pulled off a huge upset.
    You should be fine. Put on a football helmet, button up a raincoat, put in ear plugs and have a friend video tape on their iPhone what will be future conclusive evidence in a court of law.

Halftime VT-NCSU

"Jay" Williams just picked MD! Just when you thought...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    And it's the tenth anniversary of the miracle minute in Md...shame, shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Can't blame him. He won't have a job at ESPN if he picked Duke every time. I just hope he doesn't actually think that.

This is one game that I would like to see us wear the black jerseys for. The miracle minute happened in the black jerseys, so they aren't totally bad for us (at least not here).

Look for Tyler to get the starting nod in this game...Coach K likes to shake things up after a bad game. LET'S GO DUKE!!

hope we get off to a good start....don't want to be trying to climb out of a big hole up there...

go duke !!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Look for Tyler to get the starting nod in this game...Coach K likes to shake things up after a bad game. LET'S GO DUKE!!
    I personally would be surprised. (Not a slight to Tyler, who I think has done very well in his opportunities and has great potential.)

Edit: And I stand corrected.
    Last edited by anon; 02-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I personally would be surprised. (Not a slight to Tyler, who I think has done very well in his opportunities and has great potential.)
    Told you.

Wow, Thornton starting.
    Nice, Bluedog.
    Last edited by 94duke; 02-02-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: props to Bluedog

And he looks great out there. And Nolan looks more comfortable.