Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBB: Duke 65, NC State 64

The game is on now of FSS. We're off to a cold start.

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    The game is on now of FSS. We're off to a cold start.
    11:16 to play, State 12 Duke 5

17-5. Ugh. Let's go!!!

Down 22-8 @ the under-8.

Down 25-12. I feel a comeback. Starting now.

I have no explanation for that first half. I hope Coach P does, along with an answer for the second half.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If it weren't for two missed free throws to end it, we'd be down by 20. This is not pretty. Come out strong ladies!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Maybe?

We've got it down to 2 with just over 3 minutes left. Our defense is great - just wish we could make some freethrows.

Up by 1 with 1:56 left

Victory

We won it by 1!!! Great play by Krystal, Shay, and Kathleen.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wooooohoooooo!!!! Chelsea Gray for the win...and the team D to finish! Woooohooo!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I need a drink.

Pretty impressive comeback. I didn't start watching until about 13 minutes left in the game and wow- they must have turned up their defense. Way to go ladies.

SOPHISTICATED ANALYSIS: Chelsea Gray is going to be really good.

It's almost as if the game plan was to let themselves get in a hole so that they could practice coming from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I need a drink.
    I need a Lisinopril. Maybe two.

I suppose it's good that our team can go up to Storrs knowing that it can play from behind if it has to.

/looking for silver lining where there is none

State is going to be a real pain in the hindquarters if they ever get players. Kellie Harper can coach.

This was a victory that I don't think we'd be enjoying without their earlier tough games. They've been down before, under pressure before, and as a team they've learned that if they rely on each other, and play their stifling defense, good things will happen.
    I love this team for that..there are stars, but there is nobody that is more or less important than anyone else. Every game, anybody has the chance to step up, and usually it is more than one player that rises to the occasion. The coaches have done a great job working the freshmen in, it's amazing to think that we are this young, and getting such poise from those young players. The upper classmen have also done a great job letting the new ladies make their own way and fill those roles. Lots of teams might have issues with giving up minutes to "the new guys", I've never seen that as a problem with this group.
    Great win, great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I need a drink.
    Pass me the bottle! That was one UGLY basketball game. But a win is a win. Almost feel bad for State. Almost.

UNC-Maryland

On a related note, #15 Maryland beat #10 UNC 88-65. Carolina lost to UConn at home 83-57 just six days ago, so their stock is dropping.

Duke WBB is going to have a pretty interesting two weeks coming up. After Clemson, it's going to be @UConn, Miami, and @ Carolina. Katie Meier's UM team has won 17 straight, so this could well be the toughest stretch of the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Great win, great experience.
    Good experience maybe, but it's hard to call this a great win, or least a great performance. N.C. State played hard today, but they are still 1-4 in conference play and 9-10 overall. This kind of effort against a good team on the road would leave Duke in an even deeper hole with no chance of coming back. These slow starts need to stop.