Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 83, Wake Forest 59 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Seth curry seems to force many shots, maybe because he isn't getting the playing time he is used too. But, he forced a few deep threes today.

It's official. I will no longer listen to Len Elmore.
    Did he seriously say we got tired down the stretch last year and that hurt us?

To quote Billy Madison, "Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Its clear that coach is working hard to get a new offense in place, and Kelly's unique ability is a large component of that. I think these changes are some of the reason that we lost to FSU and have had some close games.

That said, we let them stay in the game too long, but we are still a very good team. I wish we had some more late season challenge, but at least we will be fresh come march!
    1200. DDMF.

+
    Singler played well
    Kelly drained everything
    Miles played well again
    Tyler got loads of PT
    Team never gave up
    Kansas and Cuse lost so we should move up to #3 in the rankings

-
    Nolan shot badly
    Seth still likes shooting 5 feet behind the arc (scoot up some and dont make it harder)
    Dre was kinda non existent
    Silly turnovers

Just off the top of my head

Ryan Kelly had a perfect game.

31 min 6-6 FGM/FGA 4-4 3PM/3PA 4-4 FTM/FTA 8 Boards 2 Steals 2 Assists 1 Blk 0 TO 0 PF 20 Pts.

That's Laettner-like.

r kelly is player of the game for the ignition he provided to duke's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Its clear that coach is working hard to get a new offense in place, and Kelly's unique ability is a large component of that. I think these changes are some of the reason that we lost to FSU and have had some close games.

That said, we let them stay in the game too long, but we are still a very good team. I wish we had some more late season challenge, but at least we will be fresh come march!
    Exactly who do you feel is worthy enough to give us a late season challenge?

That was an ugly game which started off with a flat-footed Blue Devil squad. They picked things up defensively about 5 minutes in.

I thought Wake rebounded well and did a nice job of clogging up the lane when Nolan tried to drive. They seemed to rotate a guy over just below the foul line to cut Nolan off. This has been the game plan for everyone in the ACC so far this year - cut off Nolan's drive, go for the strip. Time to adjust to our opponent's game plan.

Ryan Kelly had 20, which makes the 3rd straight game a different guy not named Kyle or Nolan has really stepped up. While that is a nice phenomenon, we're not getting consistently strong play out of 6-7 guys, it's more of a step-up du jour. Andre only played the first two plays of the 2nd half where he lost Gary Clark (?) for a 3 and then shot an airball. He was just off and sat the rest of the way.

Nice to get the win, but I hope that's our last slow start of 2011 and I hope to see players step up more consistently.

Ryan Kelly was great today. Hit every shot he took. Singler was a warrior on offense and defense. Mason had a few good tip outs that reminded me of Zoubek. Nolan forced too many drives and shots, but still scored 20 or so for us. Things got chippy in the second half, Wake's squad is young and immature right now. Good road win, but this was expected. I like the new offense incorporating Kelly more and moving Thornton to the point for extended minutes. Miles looks solid in the new offense as well. Coach K is evidently working his magic in practice once again. I'm excited to see how this team plays down the stretch of the season!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    +
    Singler played well
    Kelly drained everything
    Miles played well again
    Tyler got loads of PT
    Team never gave up
    Kansas and Cuse lost so we should move up to #3 in the rankings

-
    Nolan shot badly
    Seth still likes shooting 5 feet behind the arc (scoot up some and dont make it harder)
    Dre was kinda non existent
    Silly turnovers

Just off the top of my head
    I was wondering if we would move up, but KS and Syracuse lost to ranked teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Exactly who do you feel is worthy enough to give us a late season challenge?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. I said we wouldn't have another good opponent. Obviously no one is 'worthy' of giving us a challenge, we are duke afterall. St. Johns is the closest we'll get to a decent opponent, and then there's UNC. But we seemed to do okay last year with the ACC not being super strong, so I'm not too worried.
    1200. DDMF.

Kelly

A truly GREAT game for an emerging top-tier Blue Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Cuse has lost twice now so yea they deff. fall. And as for Kansas I would think thay have to fall atleast one spot.

So it could be
    1 Ohio State
    2 Pitt
    3 Kansas
    4 Duke

or

1 Ohio State
    2 Pitt
    3 Duke
    4 Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Both lost at home, though. I think they drop.

Loved our team chemistry during that little scuffle. Kyle stood up for Tyler, Seth stood up for Mason, and Nolan got everyone back to the bench - all without engaging in any sort of physical contact with Wake in a game where they were up by a lot already. That's the mark of a team with really good character - color me impressed.

I also loved Ryan Kelly's vocal leadership, directing traffic on inbounds plays and the like. I had never seen this from him before, and found this as impressive as his shooting performance. He's also an extremely intelligent player. Always in the right place, and making the right pass.

The Plumlees appear to be really "getting it" as well. They have done a much better job of boxing out on the boards (though they still don't do it as much as I'd like), and are going "straight up" on blocks and on rebounds instead of hacking or going over the back. Hopefully, they can keep up this progress.

Lastly, loved Tyler's smart play on offense and intensity on defense. My only critique is that he tends to get a little flat-footed on D occasionally, allowing the opposing point guard to blow by him. When he stays on his toes, he is one of Duke's best on-ball defenders. He is going to be a really rock-solid player throughout his career.

All in all, a very well-played game by the good guys - I love the progress that this team is making in Kyrie's absence. The team is getting much smarter, and continues to have outstanding chemistry. Our stock should be rising as far as polls go this week, due to KU's loss at home to Texas (and Syracuse's home loss to Nova) - and our level of play is rising as well. Go Devils, keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking. I said we wouldn't have another good opponent. Obviously no one is 'worthy' of giving us a challenge, we are duke afterall. St. Johns is the closest we'll get to a decent opponent, and then there's UNC.
    What a bizarre claim. Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Temple are all better than St. John's, perhaps considerably better.

Interesting adjestments

This game inculded some interesting adjustments. Nolan is a great player, but even great players have off nights shooting the ball. He adjusted and still managed to score by going inside and getting to the foul line.

Seth and Andre weren't playing the kind of defense we needed out there and weren't hitting shots. I agree that Seth is taking too many from way outside the line. Coach K went to Thornton and he played a very energentic defensive game, and I think disrupted things that Wake ball handlers tried to do. He also handled the ball quite well. I wouldn't expect a lot of scoring from him but coach K obviously liked what he saw.

Kelly had a career game. He obviously has worked on his shot and only took open opportunities. He also played excellent defense and passed well. He has made some great strides in his game and offers the option of a big man who can score the ball. He is my MOTM.

Miles had another decent game and that is encourgaing. Mason still needs to get his offense and foul shooting going to be the all around big man we would like him to be.

Singler played his usual good game. He still is forcing the ball some and as a result gives the ball up, but no one make a stronger effort. Hairston got some minutes and did okay.

Coming out of this game, I think it is important to get Andre's to play aggressively and with confidence. He does it at times but lack consistency.

!8-1 and Syracuse and Kansas losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Cuse has lost twice now so yea they deff. fall. And as for Kansas I would think thay have to fall atleast one spot.

So it could be
    1 Ohio State
    2 Pitt
    3 Kansas
    4 Duke

or

1 Ohio State
    2 Pitt
    3 Duke
    4 Kansas
    I believe Duke will definitely be ranked ahead of Kansas. I also think San Diego State has a good shot at #4.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Ryan Kelly had a perfect game. .
    Whaddya mean? He missed that baseline jumper late in the second half when he got hammered. Of course he knocked down the free throws but he should have had a three point play. Really disappointing

Actually, I saw a game like this coming out of Ryan. He had a stretch of a few games when his shot wasn't falling, but he has been really consistent and I think poised to be a real contributor. As others have pointed out, he's also solid in all facets of the game, though he is a little overmatched guarding ball handlers out on the perimeter

Did Nolan hit any shot besides layups and free throws? I'm sure he had permission to just keep shooting, but at some point he probably should have realized it wasn't his night, either from the 1 or the 2. I recall at least once Kelly gave up a decent tho not great look and deferring to Nolan only to have Nolan brick one.