Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This team maybe worse than last year's unc squad. Barnes is a bust, the kid goes like 3-13 every game.

Ga Tech wins - 78 - 58

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Can you imagine that GT got to pull some of their starters at the end? Complete blowout in the second half. Henson got a nasty stinger on his left elbow with about 2 minutes remaining.
    I only saw the second half, but Kerlina really was sloppy with the ball. TONS of unforced t/o's, and a lack of effort several times late (such as the GT breakaway with about 4.5 minutes to go -- only 2 'heels bothered running back so it became 4 on 2). I don't know what it is, b/c they seem to play great in flashes... but sure got demoralized quick, and not all that cohesive throughout. Terrible guard play, and overall I thought got out-efforted by the Ga Tech frontline. Any ideas what's wrong with Barnes?

I agree, that Clemson sure has a chance to beat that winless-in-CH string this year, Wed. night. Though this loss should light a fire under the boys in faded blue...

And, yes, I was wondering if Henson could have had shoulder damage the way his elbow got jammed underneath him, but they were only looking at the elbow. 'hope it isn't serious.

It sure is going to be a cat-fight this year in the ACC -- at least for 2nd through ninth!!

P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

Last edited by -bdbd; 01-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.

what do you do? no one played well. no one showed poise or toughness. there was no cohesiveness. Roy starts 5 guys that immediately go down 8 in the first half and again go down 8 in the second half. he has got to find a mix of players that can pass and catch the ball and then, if he can find 5 guys that can figure that out, then maybe he could teach them how to dribble. if he can climb those mountains, then try and teach them to shoot the ball. really, one of the most frustrating games i have ever seen. GT played well, but UNC had so many stupid TO's that were not forced. Missed too many wide open lay ups. Made fouls 40 ft away from the basket. Really, really, really stupid basketball. Good news for you guys, most of these guys will be here for 2 to 3 more years.

Everyone knows that life on the road can be tough in the ACC, but UNC just looked like they phoned in the second half. Their defense pretty much matched their offense in effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    what do you do? no one played well. no one showed poise or toughness. there was no cohesiveness. Roy starts 5 guys that immediately go down 8 in the first half and again go down 8 in the second half. he has got to find a mix of players that can pass and catch the ball and then, if he can find 5 guys that can figure that out, then maybe he could teach them how to dribble. if he can climb those mountains, then try and teach them to shoot the ball. really, one of the most frustrating games i have ever seen. GT played well, but UNC had so many stupid TO's that were not forced. Missed too many wide open lay ups. Made fouls 40 ft away from the basket. Really, really, really stupid basketball. Good news for you guys, most of these guys will be here for 2 to 3 more years.
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=7057156&p=33

Talking 20-4 Against the 1st Team

When the score was 22-12 Tech, I beleive the Jackets had outscored the UNC first team 20-4 and trailed the UNC second team 2-8. How can those guys start a game playing so bad?

sagegrouse

But wait

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    what truly is amazing is Carolina had 20 more fts than GT... and still lost.. by 20

that is very rare
    We get all the calls right. The game a few years ago that Clemson led in Chapel Hill till the bitter end & with UNC playing catch up they shot like 38 free throws to 9 for Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    We get all the calls right. The game a few years ago that Clemson led in Chapel Hill till the bitter end & with UNC playing catch up they shot like 38 free throws to 9 for Clemson.
    For the record, GTech at one point near the end fouled John Henson 3 times. Which struck me as probably deliberate strategy.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I wonder...

I know that we would take him in a minute, but I can't help but think that perhaps Barnes could use the confidence of Nolan and Kyle, and the teaching ability of Coach K, and the security of knowing he isn't supposed to carry the team.

I also think that the family-type atmosphere that is encouraged on the Duke team and the support of the best college fan base in America would've done him a world of good. I've browsed the carolina board, and they are brutal. The players have to feel pretty betrayed by such bipolar support . But let's face it, that team stinks to high heaven!

I know its pretty pointless to speculate... but I find myself feeling a bit sorry for the Barnes. He looks like totally lost out there, and the amount of pressure is crippling.

I don't know what was more entertaining: watching the game or reading the posts on INC as the game went on. Huck got thrown so far under the bus by the fans he'll be lucky to be out for Clemson on Tuesday.

From the AP recap:

North Carolina [had] its fewest points in the Roy Williams era [...] North Carolina’s previous scoring low in Williams’ eight seasons as coach was 60 points in a postseason NIT win over Alabama-Birmingham last season.
    Uh, 82-50!!! Come on Associated Press writer.

I didn't see the game, but hearing the result gives me great pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    I know that we would take him in a minute, but I can't help but think that perhaps Barnes could use the confidence of Nolan and Kyle, and the teaching ability of Coach K, and the security of knowing he isn't supposed to carry the team.

I also think that the family-type atmosphere that is encouraged on the Duke team and the support of the best college fan base in America would've done him a world of good. I've browsed the carolina board, and they are brutal. The players have to feel pretty betrayed by such bipolar support . But let's face it, that team stinks to high heaven!

I know its pretty pointless to speculate... but I find myself feeling a bit sorry for the Barnes. He looks like totally lost out there, and the amount of pressure is crippling.
    Has it come to this? We're feeling sorry for Barnes now? Classic...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

Two thoughts:
    1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA ).
    2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA ).
    2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.
    Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    From the AP recap:

Uh, 82-50!!! Come on Associated Press writer.

I didn't see the game, but hearing the result gives me great pleasure.

I think even the 1st game against them last year they scored less than 58.
    "Shout out to this clock right here that's telling us what time it is." - Dre

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Has it come to this? We're feeling sorry for Barnes now? Classic...
    Believe me, I'm not emotional about it

I guess it's a bit more frustration at seeing all that talent going to waste. I just thank God that we have a coach that is not only willing, but able to change the teams style of play if needs be. Can't say the same for Roy boy.

I firmly believe that if Roy was coaching this Duke team when Irving went down, he would still be trying to play at the same speed using Smith or Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    I think even the 1st game against them last year they scored less than 58.
    You are right. They scored 54. Wow, Charles Odum (AP writer) needs a fact-checker in his research department if he didn't even notice the results from last season...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...
    doesn't Gailey come off the books this year? That may free up some money for Hewitt's absurd contract.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuqua's Finest View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I've been quietly trolling IC (no comments just strictly observing), and I haven't laughed so much in 2 hours in a long time. I know how we get when we lose, but those fans on IC are in total revolt mode. It's only 1 loss, but you would think Roy Williams haden't won 2 NC's the past 5 years. I am still laughing!
    I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.
    It's pretty hard to sustain that last claim when your team just attempted twenty more free throws than its opponent and still managed to get stomped.