Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 things to do to enjoy the season more

I posted something similar last year.

Follow these 4 rules:

1. Do not get too low after a bad game or a loss.
    It is a long season. We have a very good team and the best coach.
    It is okay to get real low if we lose our last game.

2. Do not get too high after a big win.
    It is a long season. There are other very good teams.
    It is okay to get real real high if we win our last game.

3. Don't second guess Coach K and staff.
    He has coached teams that have won 4 NC. How many Division 1 games have your teams won? He has done this for over 30 years.

4. Don't worry about next year.
    It will come soon enough. This year's team is very good and has the potential for a great season. They deserve our complete support.

SoCal

A few suggestions?

5. Remember how bored you get during the offseason, and save your threads about all-time Duke favorites for then. The main board is plenty busy dealing with the here and now.

6. If there's not an ACC game on, and you have some free time, try watching some games outside the ACC. Imagine how well-informed you'll be in March/April when you've actually SEEN some of Duke's tournament opponents in action -- maybe even the 16 seed.

That's all I got, if I'm going to stay mostly positive.

Great Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Follow these 4 rules:

He has coached teams that have won 4 NC. How many Division 1 games have your teams won? He has done this for over 30 years.

It will come soon enough. This year's team is very good and has the potential for a great season. They deserve our complete support.

SoCal
    I have to admit, I am guilty of #1 and #2. I have tried to be a lot more chill over the last years, but when we win a NC, my highs are highs and my lows are low. LOL
    Great post though.

Most importantly

Remember that it's still just a game...

These are great guys! I have always been a pessimist in everything I do, except when it comes to Duke basketball! I always remember how much I love those guys and that program, so the only time I'm devastated by a loss is when it ends our season.

Thanks for sharing!

Desire

I don't get carried away with in-season wins and losses. Over the years as I matured, I got a handle on my game time emotions. But, to be honest with my fellow Duke bretheren, I have been wishing for the last few years that wojo takes up a head coaching job some where and we replace him with a real big man to coach our big men. Except that, i am quite satisfied with this team so far this season.

Oh, I hate Time Warner Cable. Verizon Fios was so much better

How many Division 1 games have your teams won?
    So by your argument, nobody who hasn't coached D1 basketball can ever have a valid opinion about college basketball that differs from Coach K, and by extension, no other active coach can have such an opinion?

There are different ways to go about things. K uses man to man, boeheim uses zone. Is boeheim wrong becuase his teams haven't won as many games as coach K's? That seems to be what you assert here. People can have reasonable disagreements with coach K's methods, and if coach K's methods are so defensible, then you should be able to come up with a better argument than the ad hominem "he's won more games than you so your opinion is invalid and wrong"
    1200. DDMF.

I'm not that low just wishing our science labs would hurry up and figure out how to clone more Kyles and Nolans.

And here I was hoping to see some drinking game suggestions. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make some...

1) Every time 'Dre launches one of the sweetest looking shots you've ever seen and buries a 3, drink.

2) Every time Nolan takes it into the lane and drops in a mid-range shot with unbelievable touch, drink.

3) Every time you think to yourself, "man, is Kyle tough, or what?", drink.

4) Every time Kyrie is shown wiggling his toe, drink.

5) Every time Coach K shows that a guy in his sixties can still have more fire and intensity than most of the rest of humanity, drink.

6) Every time a Plumlee throws down a monster dunk, drink. Drink twice, actually, since these aren't happening quite often enough...but when they do happen, they're worth two.

7) Every time Kelly makes an awesome defensive play, drink.

8) Every time Hairston or Thornton check into the game, drink. If they both check in together, drink two. If we're losing and they both check in together, finish your drink. Then get another, you're probably going to need it.

Feel free to add on. I'm gonna go stock up for the UVa game.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    So by your argument, nobody who hasn't coached D1 basketball can ever have a valid opinion about college basketball that differs from Coach K, and by extension, no other active coach can have such an opinion?

There are different ways to go about things. K uses man to man, boeheim uses zone. Is boeheim wrong becuase his teams haven't won as many games as coach K's? That seems to be what you assert here. People can have reasonable disagreements with coach K's methods, and if coach K's methods are so defensible, then you should be able to come up with a better argument than the ad hominem "he's won more games than you so your opinion is invalid and wrong"
    I think what he's trying to say is that it is amazing how many guys on here who have maybe coached in the local 10-year-old rec league and maybe played on their high school basketball team seem to think they saw something in the game that prolly slipped by Coach K, or think that if they had been coaching the game, they would've instituted such-and-such a strategy and it undoubtedly would have succeeded, as though they KNOW MORE about basketball than Coach K and the staff. The concept is a bit ludicrous. Sort of like telling the chief of surgery at Johns Hopkins how to perform a coronary bypass because you watch medical shows on TV a lot.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    And here I was hoping to see some drinking game suggestions. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make some...

1) Every time 'Dre launches one of the sweetest looking shots you've ever seen and buries a 3, drink.

2) Every time Nolan takes it into the lane and drops in a mid-range shot with unbelievable touch, drink.

3) Every time you think to yourself, "man, is Kyle tough, or what?", drink.

4) Every time Kyrie is shown wiggling his toe, drink.

5) Every time Coach K shows that a guy in his sixties can still have more fire and intensity than most of the rest of humanity, drink.

6) Every time a Plumlee throws down a monster dunk, drink. Drink twice, actually, since these aren't happening quite often enough...but when they do happen, they're worth two.

7) Every time Kelly makes an awesome defensive play, drink.

8) Every time Hairston or Thornton check into the game, drink. If they both check in together, drink two. If we're losing and they both check in together, finish your drink. Then get another, you're probably going to need it.

Feel free to add on. I'm gonna go stock up for the UVa game.
    Awesome list...

9) Every time Seth does a reverse lay-up, drink.

10) If you find yourself wanting to see Kyrie and Nolan shake hands again, drink.

11) If you notice the bench having as much fun as those in the game, drink.

12) If Coach K celebrates with the crowd, drink two b/c it's definitely some good basketball being played.

13) If Coach Collins chest bumps ANYBODY, drink.

14) Everytime you realize that the team we are playing is playing the game of their lives, drink.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

Love it!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Follow these 4 rules:

SoCal
    5. Don't watch ANY unc games....ever...no matter what....try this and you'll be surprised at your quality of life...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

No what I am saying

I don't think K is perfect. I do think he knows much more about college basketball and this team then the posters on this board. I also think you will enjoy the season more if you stop trying to figure out what he should be doing and just accept that what he is doing has a pretty good chance of being successful.

Or you can argue with others on the board as to what he should do. Of course, he won't do any of it because he read it here.

SoCal

Talking Is There a Difference of Opinion Here?

SoCalDukeFan

SoCal.
    uh_no So by your argument, nobody who hasn't coached D1 basketball can ever have a valid opinion about college basketball that differs from Coach K, and by extension, no other active coach can have such an opinion?

SoCalDukeFan
    No[t] what I am saying

I don't think K is perfect. I do think he knows much more about college basketball and this team then the posters on this board. I also think you will enjoy the season more if you stop trying to figure out what he should be doing and just accept that what he is doing has a pretty good chance of being successful.

Or you can argue with others on the board as to what he should do. Of course, he won't do any of it because he read it here.

SoCal
    You may be talking past each other. SoCal puts "not second-guessing K" in his recipe for enjoying the season more, although the reason he gives ("How many Div I games have your teams won?") waves a red flag in front of fellow posters. We have all agreed that K is not above criticism on this Board (although IMHO critics better bring their A game). Nor, of course, are fellow posters...

sagegrouse

People can have reasonable disagreements with coach K's methods, and if coach K's methods are so defensible, then you should be able to come up with a better argument than the ad hominem "he's won more games than you so your opinion is invalid and wrong"
    I'm not about to second guess Coach K based on my zero coaching experience (at least not in public), but your post gave me a laugh as it reminded me of my ex-brother-in-law's retort whenever I criticized one of his favorite NFL players: "He makes more money than you, so shut up."

Now we're resorting to comparing coaching basketball to heart surgery???

Sort of like telling the chief of surgery at Johns Hopkins how to perform a coronary bypass because you watch medical shows on TV a lot
    As a surgeon and a kiddie b-ball coach, let me tell you that it's much easier to pick up coaching tips on TV than surgery tips. So stop with the @$#@@ hyperbole.

I will say

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You may be talking past each other. SoCal puts "not second-guessing K" in his recipe for enjoying the season more, although the reason he gives ("How many Div I games have your teams won?") waves a red flag in front of fellow posters. We have all agreed that K is not above criticism on this Board (although IMHO critics better bring their A game). Nor, of course, are fellow posters...

sagegrouse
    It is fun to think what Duke should do differently. But don't get carried away.

SoCal

So by your argument, nobody who hasn't coached D1 basketball can ever have a valid opinion about college basketball that differs from Coach K...?
    Yah, that about sums it up for this old timer. Aw geez, I totally muffed the quote. I'm a bad lady.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-13-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

This thread is way more fun than that IC-ish FSU post game thread. Glad I stopped by today. Well done.