Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kanter decision upheld

According to Seth Davis.

I have to admit, I have no sympathy for Cal or the Kentucky fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    According to Seth Davis.

Enes is born free, but everywhere he is permanently ineligible.

Interesting that he will be kept on as an assistant coach/student. So that means he can travel and practice with the team, I assume?

Interesting that he will be kept on as an assistant coach/student. So that means he can travel and practice with the team, I assume?
    No - Kanter cannot practice, travel or play with the team, but he can perform "limited coaching duties" and receive his scholarship to continue his studies.

don't worry....his dad said he'd be back next year...he GUARANTEED IT...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    don't worry....his dad said he'd be back next year...he GUARANTEED IT...
    Well, he said he would come back if he could play next year. Kanter has been ruled PERMANENTLY ineligible so coming back next year would make no sense.

-Jason "he'll be a top 5 draft pick-- if he played he might get exposed as not being all that great" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, he said he would come back if he could play next year. Kanter has been ruled PERMANENTLY ineligible so coming back next year would make no sense.

-Jason "he'll be a top 5 draft pick-- if he played he might get exposed as not being all that great" Evans
    Thus the beauty of the charade that Enis would come back and play next year and UK appealing the finding ...

They make it SEEM like Enis is eager to play - so there is no suspicion that he is avoiding real competition - and he maintains his top-5 aura until he is old enough to be drafted

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    No - Kanter cannot practice, travel or play with the team, but he can perform "limited coaching duties" and receive his scholarship to continue his studies.
    Right, but as a coach what would stop him being at practice? And what would stop him from stepping into a drill to show something to a player, and have that showing something last 30 minutes or an hour?

This just feels VERY very flexible to me.

nooooo

I'm sure Cal wouldn't risk anything that might compromise the eligibility of the entire team... wait...

No - Kanter cannot practice, travel or play with the team...
    Nope, and as it turns out, Kanter never could.
    Sorry...hadn't seen it yet so had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Nope, and as it turns out, Kanter never could.
    Sorry...hadn't seen it yet so had to say it.
    That is a toerrific post.

Those UK fans didn't let me down.

Check out the comment from "them" in this blog that was linked from the DBR front page list of stories

April 1997 to August 1997: Kansas City summer basketball coach Myron Piggie makes cash payments to high school player Corey Maggette totaling $2,000. The money comes from a revenue pool that includes donations to Piggie from professional sports agents Kevin Poston and Jerome Stanley.

Nov. 12, 1997: Maggette signs a national letter of intent with Duke....
    What was the Kanter decision about? Why, it was about the double standard that exists for Duke as exemplified by Myron Piggie and Corey Maggette, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Why, it was about the double standard that exists for Duke as exemplified by Myron Piggie and Corey Maggette, of course.
    Ehhhh.
    I'm OK with double stands when we come out on top.
    As a Greek, I'm OK with being a hypocrite when the occasion is right. I look at it as embracing my heratage. :-)

You'd think those KY guys would eventually JOIN us if they cant beat us... in the courts that is..

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Those UK fans didn't let me down.

Check out the comment from "them" in this blog that was linked from the DBR front page list of stories

What was the Kanter decision about? Why, it was about the double standard that exists for Duke as exemplified by Myron Piggie and Corey Maggette, of course.
    It takes a lot of nerve for UK fans to say things like that right after they wiped their hands free of the Eric Bledsoe situation just months ago.

Kentucky on top again

The greatest day in Kentucky basketball will be when Coach Cal is sitting in the green room for the 2011 NBA draft at the table of Enes Kanter and he gets drafted number one overall. Coach Cal will take all the credit for his development over the past year.

Congrats Kentucky Basketball on a new high for your program.

Duke will just have to settle for a 5th National Championship and Nolan and Kyle going in the top twenty selected and Kyrie staying for his sophomore year.

Just another down year for the Duke program.
    The Terrapin Assassin

the benefits of Kanter

Spot on, Duvall. Although his role going forward will be limited, UK has already gained an advantage from Kanter's presence.

The real advantage for UK is two-fold.

The Kanter debate has moved the focus of the media off his star freshman for the entire pre-conference schedule. This allows guys like Lamb, and Knight to acclimate to the speed of the college game with a little less of the UK media microscope.

As Duvall has mentioned, Enes is not allowed to practice with the team as a player; however, Kanter was permitted to practice before their pre-season trip to Canada and again after UK filed each of their appeals. Additionally, sporting news is reporting that

"A source has told SN that the plan is to use Kanter as a student assistant coach, which would allow him to be used as a practice player as well as perform limited coaching duties. This would give him an opportunity to prepare physically for the 2011 NBA draft."
    http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...tly-ineligible
    It is no coincidence that during the last two months Josh Harrellson has developed into a significant contributor. Last year he put up 14 DNP's(coaches decision) while registering 1.4 pts/1.3 rbs in junk time. Now he is playing major minutes. Without Josh’s 23 points and 14 rebounds against Louisville last week, UK loses. Harrellson’s growth looks to be as huge an impact to the current UK team as Zoubek’s contributions to last year’s Duke team. You can pin Josh’s in game maturity to the experience he is getting by playing a European pro daily in practice.

John Calipari knew the chances of getting any real game minutes from Enes Kanter were highly unlikely. However, the benefits to the current team have been well worth the effort. Even if you think Calipari is a complete slime ball, you have to tip your hat to the way he has managed to game the system for his benefit. He is a master of bending the rules without suffering any significant personal punishment.
    Last edited by timmy c; 01-08-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fix

0-1

Kanter is now 0-1 as an undergraduate student coach. He's got to pick up his game if he's going to catch Coach K!

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    According to Seth Davis.

I am totally with you here. They really shouldn't be surprised by this decision.

The NCAA should do themselves and everyone else a favor and throwout that new rule, which got everyone into this situation in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The NCAA should do themselves and everyone else a favor and throwout that new rule, which got everyone into this situation in the first place.
    Not sure what you have in mind here. Okay for players who have been pros overseas to come to the US and play NCAA basketball?