Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Enough of this talk of toes, doghouses, use of the bench and the rest. Time to get back to business, with another ACC game, this against our respected friends from Alaska.

Thoughts? I'm wondering if Gary will throw a press at us, with Irving out. We didn't look so good against Oregon's press. On the other hand, pressing Duke in Cameron is probably asking for a lot of trouble, in the form of dunks and wide-open threes.

As some of you have mentioned, another aspect to watch is our defense on Jordan Williams. Can our bigs defend without fouling?

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Enough of this talk of toes, doghouses, use of the bench and the rest. Time to get back to business, with another ACC game, this against our respected friends from Alaska.

Thoughts? I'm wondering if Gary will throw a press at us, with Irving out. We didn't look so good against Oregon's press. On the other hand, pressing Duke in Cameron is probably asking for a lot of trouble, in the form of dunks and wide-open threes.

As some of you have mentioned, another aspect to watch is our defense on Jordan Williams. Can our bigs defend without fouling?

Discuss.
    As of today, Pomeroy has Maryland as the highest rated team remaining on our schedule. In fact, the game @Maryland is now projected to be our toughest game of the season. This is going to be tough.

Also, Crazies, Alex Murphy, high school Class of 2012, will be in the house.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

One other thing: Maryland was the last team to beat Duke.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

On 11/30/2005, Indiana's Marco Killingsworth scored 34 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in a game against Duke. It was a dominating individual performance. Why do I bring it up? Two reasons: first, Maryland's Jordan Williams is capable of putting up similar numbers. He is averaging 17.6 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. The more important reason for reflecting upon Killingsworth is Duke won the game against Indiana 75-67.

When I first kicked back and reflected upon the upcoming game with Maryland, my initial thought was we had to figure out a scheme to contain Williams. Then I remembered the Indiana/Killingsworth game and decided the key to beating Maryland isn't to contain their star but rather shutdown the other four players on the court beside him.

Maryland is currently ranked #15 by Ken Pomeroy and are near the top of the ACC in multiple statistical categories. The Terps are #2 in scoring offense, scoring margin, field goal percentages, field goal percentage defense, rebounding margin, blocked shots, assists and offensive rebounds. They are #1 in offensive rebound percentage and #3 in defensive rebounds, assists/turnover ratio, rebounding offense and 3-pt field goal percentage defense.

They do not have a bad loss on their record losing to #4 Pitt by nine points, #16 Illinois by four points, Temple by three points, and Boston College by four points. The home loss to Boston College was definitely disappointing for the Terps but I cannot view it as a bad loss.

Maryland will be a tough test for our Blue Devils, but hey, in-conference games are suppose to be tough!
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    On 11/30/2005, Indiana's Marco Killingsworth scored 34 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in a game against Duke. It was a dominating individual performance. Why do I bring it up? Two reasons: first, Maryland's Jordan Williams is capable of putting up similar numbers. He is averaging 17.6 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. The more important reason for reflecting upon Killingsworth is Duke won the game against Indiana 75-67.

When I first kicked back and reflected upon the upcoming game with Maryland, my initial thought was we had to figure out a scheme to contain Williams. Then I remembered the Indiana/Killingsworth game and decided the key to beating Maryland isn't to contain their star but rather shutdown the other four players on the court beside him.

Maryland is currently ranked #15 by Ken Pomeroy and are near the top of the ACC in multiple statistical categories. The Terps are #2 in scoring offense, scoring margin, field goal percentages, field goal percentage defense, rebounding margin, blocked shots, assists and offensive rebounds. They are #1 in offensive rebound percentage and #3 in defensive rebounds, assists/turnover ratio, rebounding offense and 3-pt field goal percentage defense.

They do not have a bad loss on their record losing to #4 Pitt by nine points, #16 Illinois by four points, Temple by three points, and Boston College by four points. The home loss to Boston College was definitely disappointing for the Terps but I cannot view it as a bad loss.

Maryland will be a tough test for our Blue Devils, but hey, in-conference games are suppose to be tough!
    Great write up Bob. I am interested to see if K will choose to double team Williams to force the ball out of his hands early or if he will let Miles and Mason defend him straight up and look to shutdown the other 4. Kelly is a good shotblocker from the weakside and should get opportunities in this game.

I am really looking forward to this game. First time in a long time that I will be in Cameron for the Maryland game, so I am excited. The real crazies will be back in full force, so I expect the building to be rocking. (The stand-in Crazies did an excellent job over the break and should be applauded)

Our 3 bigs have their work cut out for them, lets hope they rise to the challenge and come up big. Seth is due for a breakout game as well, and I have a sneaky suspicion it just may come Sunday Night...

The consensus on the board after the Miami game was that Big Reggie was able to rumble at will, because we designed our D to stop their two guards. Since Jordan Williams is probably a better player than Reggie, do we design our D to stop Williams or some other facet of the Maryland offense?

That's an interesting thought. It seems to be counter to what we've tried to do most of this season (i.e., take away the opponent's best option and make the others beat us). While Maryland has a few decent scoring options (Tucker, Stoglin, Bowie) from the perimeter, they don't have anyone nearly as imposing as Williams. I'm more inclined to believe that we'll try to pressure the perimeter to make entry passes more difficult and provide post help on Williams whenever he does get the ball so as to prevent him from taking over.

It will be interesting to see whether we go with eliminating the star and making the others beat us or shutting down the others and letting the star get his. We've definitely seen both approaches in the past. Personally, I'd prefer we just shut down everyone

I'm not sure what to make of Maryland. As you say, they have no bad losses. But they also have no meaningful wins either. The best part of their resume consists of neutral court losses that weren't blowouts. It's hard to really know how good this team is. Part of me hopes that Maryland's Pomeroy numbers are a bit inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Great write up Bob. I am interested to see if K will choose to double team Williams to force the ball out of his hands early or if he will let Miles and Mason defend him straight up and look to shutdown the other 4. Kelly is a good shotblocker from the weakside and should get opportunities in this game.
    Thanks! I appreciate the props. Double teaming Williams seems like the obvious strategy but my experience in watching Duke basketball is that Coach Krzyzewski frequently forgoes the obvious. Double teaming Williams could be playing to Maryland's strength. Executing a full court press in an attempt to completely disrupt Maryland's offensive flow is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm more inclined to believe that we'll try to pressure the perimeter to make entry passes more difficult and provide post help on Williams whenever he does get the ball so as to prevent him from taking over.
    I definitely agree we will pressure the perimeter to make entry passes more difficult. The less Jordan Williams has the ball in his hands the less opportunity for him to score. It will be interesting to see if we double team him once he receives a pass or if we concentrate on defensive rebounding position to limit him to one scoring opportunity per possession.

My point is one star player cannot defeat a balanced team attack. In the game referenced, Indiana had two double digit scorers with 34 and 11 points, while Duke had four with 29, 13, 13 and 12. Williams running up some gaudy numbers will not automatically equal a Maryland victory.

I'm really looking forward to the contest (of course, I'm always really looking forward to the next Duke game).
    Bob Green

I hope we beat the Terps like a rented mule. No team -- even UNC -- do I disrespect as much as Maryland!

It will also be interesting to see if md has some sort of zone press ready for us with Irving out.

Talking Lots of Motivation for the Terps

62 points -- 62 points. That's the combined margin for Duke over Maryland in Cameron the last two years. Gary will have something up his sleeve (besides, of course, a bunch of sponges). Moreover, he has had weeks to prepare for this match. Although Duke appears far better on paper, except for Jordan Williams, I expect a really tough game.

It would be natural to run the offense through big Williams, who is very talented. Duke could decide to provide help defense, which give his teammates open shots. Or, Duke could go one-on-one with Jordan and lock down the perimeter, believing that our front line is deep enough to play tough defense the entire game.

On defense, I suppose Maryland will try some of everything. Pressing from the git-go is a possibility, but it had to be chilling for Gary and the other ACC coaches to see how explosively Duke opened the game against UAB. Guarding the perimeter in the hopes that Duke's big men are unlikely to score a lot is a possibility as well, although that won't keep Nolan, Kyle, Andre and Seth from having good looks, and -- of course -- playing tight on Nolan on the perimeter would let him drive and score or drive and dish. Gary's defensive choices will be interesting to watch.

sagegrouse

I know Duke's last loss was to Maryland (at Maryland), but the Blue Devils' last loss in Cameron was to the Heels, right? It's been a while. (Furiously knocking on wood.)

Though I'm an optimistic fan who always believes Duke will win every game, I'm not in the "hoping for an undefeated season" category. I just hope for titles and hardware. That said, I always like to see Duke run the table in Cameron.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-07-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: getting ahead

Another strategy would be to run like crazy in hopes that Williams will tire out. With our personnel we have a lot of options so we'll just have to wait and see what K cooks up.

There will be a lot of teams clustered together in the middle of the ACC standings, and every team knows that the one thing that will set them apart from the rest would be a win against Duke (and to a lesser extend, Carolina). So as is always the case, we'll get every team's best shot. Don't be surprised to see some of Maryland's less-heralded players come up with big games.

Also, I remember the Killingsworth game. While he went off, Duke stayed at home on the perimeter and forced their potent guards into 2-10 from three.

Well, Duke can always send big guys out there to foul Williams. He's a terrible free-throw shooter and the Blue Devils could potentially use a guy like Hairston just for fouls to give him trouble on the block.

Article about Sunday's game from the Washington Post with a prediction of the outcome:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/box...e_preview.html

Good article from Maryland about the Devils:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...r-to-face-duke

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    Article about Sunday's game from the Washington Post with a prediction of the outcome:

Gotta love optimistic fans. The Crazies will be in full flower Sunday night...

May I ask who organized this game against our second "rival" ACC team (I know we only have one rival, but you get my point) when the Crazies are STILL on holiday? The hardcore Cameron Crazies will most likely be in attendance, but the majority of students, many who habitually attend games, probably won't yet be at Duke (at least that is how it was between 03-07 when I was there).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Williams isn't a great passer out of the post (7 assists on the season), and UMd is mediocre from 3 (35% as a team, best shooter is at 40%), so I would expect big-to-big doubling when he catches it on the block (Miles/Mason guarding him with Kelly doubling from the weak side), which is a look we have used a bunch this season. Also expect to see the Duke standard of pressuring the guards to make the entry passes difficult.

The other key in my mind is to keep them off the offensive glass where they are grabbing 38% of their misses, and has been one of the few "weaknesses" we have shown this year from a statistical perspective.

In both cases, going to need a strong effort from the bigs on the defensive side.

Add in the chip that Nolan plays with against Md (hometown team, plus revenge from the concussion) and this will be a fun game to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post

Good article from Maryland about the Devils:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...r-to-face-duke
    I think I'd take Duke and six points.

Some very good thoughts on this thread (as usual).

I think the main attack on Williams will be to keep the ball out of his hands by pressuring the perimeter and trying to overplay the pass into him, and then try to get the ball out of his hands by collapsing and trying to force a pass. The second part of that probably means a fair number of fouls, so the bigguns need to play smart (and, when they foul, make sure the shot doesn't get up).

But Bob Green's observations are in line with what we have done over the years with a number of exceptional players -- if we don't have a lock-down defender that can really thwart them, make it as difficult as possible but really key on stopping a second or third person from killing us. And, offensively, plan on 3's outpacing 2's.

Go Duke, Turtle Soup!