Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's Up With the Stanford Putdowns???

"The Stanford Architectural Program is not accredited..." Google the program requirements for Stanford Architectural Design Program.

"Not quite a national powerhouse..." Take a look at the history of the Stanford football program - and the rest of their athletic programs over the last 20 years.

I've heard rumors (if you're curious, I post on a football board that includes members who scout the game and work for certain NFL franchises) that Andrew Luck will re-consider his decision to return to Stanford and instead go pro if the Carolina Panthers indicate that they will trade the 1st overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft to another team that Luck would prefer. The thinking is that Luck wouldn't mind going to Denver (which holds the #2 pick), an organization now being overseen by Stanford legend John Elway.

The timing on this is tight, however, with only a week or so before the final decision must be made. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Bring it on, Luck. Bring it on. Maybe we can send you back to Californ-I-A a bit older, a bit wiser, and with one more loss on your shiny resum-A.

If we can knock them off that pedestal we built for them I can stop hearing about Stanford this and Stanford that! Sheesh!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by B-well View Post
    What's Up With the Stanford Putdowns???

"The Stanford Architectural Program is not accredited..." Google the program requirements for Stanford Architectural Design Program.

"Not quite a national powerhouse..." Take a look at the history of the Stanford football program - and the rest of their athletic programs over the last 20 years.
    People are jealous? I don't know. I don't think they were super big putdowns. Obviously, Stanford has been very successful in football. Maybe the person was just saying they don't have a Alabama-like following, so it's not likely to be on national TV, etc. The Architectural Design Program is in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, so that's probably why it's not accredited. It's a "tweener" program so it's not an accredited ABET degree (despite students receiving a Bachelor of Science in Engineering) and most (all?) professional architecture degrees require 5 years or a masters degree later on. So, since it doesn't fulfill either of those niches (not a traditional engineering discipline, only 4 year architecture program), it doesn't get accreditation from either body.

Nobody is saying that it's not a good program or rigorous though; it's just a niche area that requires more training to get fully licensed as a professional. Nothing wrong with that of course. It does surprise me that Stanford even offers a program in its AMAZING engineering school that's not accredited though. Doesn't seem very Stanford-like. But that seems to be the case not due to the lack of rigor in the curriculum, but rather due to the "tweener" status of the content. At least, that's my take on it.

Luck is EXTREMELY impressive. If I was in the same situation, though, I don't think I could turn down the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Luck is EXTREMELY impressive. If I was in the same situation, though, I don't think I could turn down the NFL.
    It's really insane. If you're the consensus #1 pick, you should declare. That's $50 million GUARANTEED if the new NFL CBA doesn't include a rookie cap, and probably $30-50 million guaranteed even if it does.

Personally, I think he made this call 10 days before the deadline because (a) he simply does not want to be drafted by the Carolina Panthers, and/or (b) he believes that the NFL will lock out the players and he would "lose" a year of football if he came out in the '11 draft.

It's a huge risk, though, even if he insures himself against injury through Lloyd's of London. Look what happened when Jake Locker, a consensus top-5 selection for the 2010 NFL Draft, decided to go back to school. Now the kid might be a late first-round pick at best.

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel View Post
    It's really insane. If you're the consensus #1 pick, you should declare. That's $50 million GUARANTEED if the new NFL CBA doesn't include a rookie cap, and probably $30-50 million guaranteed even if it does.
    Several posters to this – and similar – threads have expressed this viewpoint; I respectfully disagree. I suggest that for some individuals, completion of a Stanford (or a Duke degree) may be VERY important, notwithstanding the financial implications and the potential risks of serious injury in another year of intercollegiate athletics. I am NOT suggesting this is the correct decision for everyone, but neither do I believe it is axiomatically inappropriate or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Several posters to this – and similar – threads have expressed this viewpoint; I respectfully disagree. I suggest that for some individuals, completion of a Stanford (or a Duke degree) may be VERY important, notwithstanding the financial implications and the potential risks of serious injury in another year of intercollegiate athletics. I am NOT suggesting this is the correct decision for everyone, but neither do I believe it is axiomatically inappropriate or wrong.
    You can always go back and get your degree; you generally have one shot to be the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

That said, I'm sure there are other considerations. I don't think it's the degree. As I note above, I believe it's dissatisfaction with the Carolina Panthers organization and fear of an NFL lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    While I almost always come down on the side of the traditional, academically-oriented values in college athletics, in this case I must say that it is a really risky decision on his part. $50M is a LOT of money to roll the dice with, risking injury and draft position (there's only ONE direction that he can move on the draft board now based on his 2011 performance!), and every slot down he moves removes millions from his future bank account.

Even as someone who values education, and especially a STANFORD education - again, I almost went there and grew up nearby - I don't think that even I could pass on that kind of money and incur that sort of risk. Not that anyone is offering me... To 4D's point about 'finishing that Stanford degree,' he could always enroll in Spring/Summer classes in the off-season and finish up the degree that way within a couple of years. (BTW, here in DC the Nats baseball team a couple years ago drafted a pitcher who wanted to go to Stanford, and worked out an arrangement for him to enroll/take classes there while still getting in a-bit-less-than-normal minor league time developing. So it can be done.) But of course he'd be off of scholarship then and would have to pay $50K/year, if he could afford it...
    Last edited by -bdbd; 01-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well...Luck is coming (we think), but their coach sure ain't. That is even bigger. For all we know Luck might get turf toe his first game, but they would still be pretty much the same team. Now, they will have a new coach. That's different.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Carolina Panthers

What I could not understand is why Carolina did not offer Harbaugh enough dough to get him and hope he could sway Luck into coming out.

Maybe afraid of the strike.

It would seem to me that if Luck does want the Panthers he should do what Eli Manning did and tell them that he will not play for them and let them trade the pick. He could play for a year and then still be drafted by the Panthers.

I wonder what Jimmy Clausen thinks of Carolina announcing that they need a quarterback.

Lastly, I am sure that Luck has worked very hard to put himself in a position to graduate in four years. I hope he stays in school.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    What I could not understand is why Carolina did not offer Harbaugh enough dough to get him and hope he could sway Luck into coming out.

Maybe afraid of the strike.

It would seem to me that if Luck does want the Panthers he should do what Eli Manning did and tell them that he will not play for them and let them trade the pick. He could play for a year and then still be drafted by the Panthers.

I wonder what Jimmy Clausen thinks of Carolina announcing that they need a quarterback.

Lastly, I am sure that Luck has worked very hard to put himself in a position to graduate in four years. I hope he stays in school.

SoCal
    Jerry Richardson, the Panther's owner, is a cheapskate. He plans to hire an up and coming defensive coordinator as his new head coach and not a "name" experienced head coach for big bucks. He said so in a press conference earlier in the week.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Maybe the Cardinal can hire Rich Rod as HC and he could opt to bench Luck in favor of an option qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Maybe the Cardinal can hire Rich Rod as HC and he could opt to bench Luck in favor of an option qb.
    Seattle sports radio is stating it is a foregone conclusion Stanford will hire from within. I suspect the Offensive Coordinator is in line to be the next Head Coach.
    Bob Green

Talking Former Colt, Jerry Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Jerry Richardson, the Panther's owner, is a cheapskate. He plans to hire an up and coming defensive coordinator as his new head coach and not a "name" experienced head coach for big bucks. He said so in a press conference earlier in the week.
    You doubt his superior knowlege of the NFL based on his two years (1959 and 1960) with the Baltimore Colts and his 15 receptions? I mean, what other current owner played in the NFL?

sagegrouse
    'BTW, speaking of former players, how's that Michael Jordan thing working out for the Bobcats?'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    'BTW, speaking of former players, how's that Michael Jordan thing working out for the Bobcats?'
    Espn recently covered this issue here.

Maybe the Panthers' inability to win can outlast fan fav ol'Jerry and the Panthers get some good Luck in 2012.

I feel a little bad for Stanford football fans...
    If Harbaugh had stayed, I think he might have had the ability to turn Stanford into sort of the "Duke" of college football. An extremely talented college coach with motivational, recruiting, strategic, and publice relations skills off the charts.
    I know the man wants to pursue other challenges in the pros, but I can't help to imagine what his career would be like had he stayed at Stanford.

With the Harbaugh departure from Stanford apparently a done deal ($25 million over five years with the 49ers) I can't avoid thinking about the Luck situation. Was his announcement to hang around for another year in any way influenced by Harbaugh's departure, or was it just bad timing? For me the logical conclusion is that he had assurance that the Stanford selection for the vacancy would be the present offensive coordinator. Otherwise the impact on Luck's potential for a lucrative position in next year's draft could be huge. A new offense, which might not be suited to Luck's better skills, could be disastrous. He'd have to learn the new system, too. Not often a pleasant affair.