Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luck Coming to Wallace Wade

Andrew Luck is declining to enter the draft and is returning to Stanford next year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Stanford plays at Duke on 9/10/11.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 01-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Duke and Stanford have SO much in common; they are both outstanding universities in so many arenas. It will be a privilege to host The Cardinal at Wade and to watch these teams (and Luck) in action. I am very pleased Luck has decided to remain at least an additional year, hopefully he will eventually graduate. I suspect he will win next season's Heisman.

wow. I can't say I would have made the same decision. If the NFL goes to rookie slotting, as is widely expecting, Luck is leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table (possibly up to 40 million guaranteed).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    wow. I can't say I would have made the same decision. If the NFL goes to rookie slotting, as is widely expecting, Luck is leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table (possibly up to 40 million guaranteed).
    I've seen a couple places that the new rookie scale would probably start with the 2011 draft class, not 2012, so Luck may not be giving up that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I've seen a couple places that the new rookie scale would probably start with the 2011 draft class, not 2012, so Luck may not be giving up that much.
    I have seen reports that the slotting may be in play for 2011, but almost definitely will be in play for 2012. Personally, I would leave in 2011 and hope slotting doesn't kick in until 2012, but, unfortunately, it wasn't my decision to make.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Wow, I'm surprised as well. Luck has been really impressive in his career; he must really enjoy Stanford and being a student. Good for him! I definitely cheer for Stanford and it'll be nice to see them in Wade. Will this game by on national TV? That'd be sweet. Obviously, hasn't been determined yet, and probably won't, but I'm still holding out hope.

On another note, Luck is in Stanford's engineering school? Impressive. Not many prospective #1 NFL picks would do that even if they were smart enough. I sure wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Duke and Stanford have SO much in common; they are both outstanding universities in so many arenas. It will be a privilege to host The Cardinal at Wade and to watch these teams (and Luck) in action. I am very pleased Luck has decided to remain at least an additional year, hopefully he will eventually graduate. I suspect he will win next season's Heisman.
    He is a redshirt sophomore this year so he's actually a junior academically. Next year will be his senior year and he will graduate (as he mentioned at his press conference). He technically has 2 more years of eligibility but it seems really unlikely he would use the 4th year.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I'm with you. No football brain am I but wasn't he a sure #1,2,3 pick?
    Forgive me if I am truly clueless.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The Panthers said they were going to take him with the #1 pick if he entered the draft.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Panthers said they were going to take him with the #1 pick if he entered the draft.
    That probably influenced his decision a little...either that or the allure of playing in Wallace Wade was just too much to turn down. Maybe this will make Stanford a little more competitive in the game.

Talking Mr. Luck and the Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Which, of course, persuaded Mr. Luck to continue pursuit of his education.

sagegrouse

As the #1 pick in 2012, he might end up with the Panthers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    He is a redshirt sophomore this year so he's actually a junior academically. Next year will be his senior year and he will graduate (as he mentioned at his press conference). He technically has 2 more years of eligibility but it seems really unlikely he would use the 4th year.
    Thanks, I am even more pleased that Luck is likely to graduate in 2012. FYI, I based my comment on ESPN's bowl commentators indicating that he was a sophomore; I am too frequently underwhelmed by the sports media's gaffs regarding "educational class status." For example, during the last few Lacrosse Final Fours, several Dukies who had received their undergraduate degrees and were enrolled at Fuqua (or other University post-graduate programs) were repeatedly referred to as "fifth year seniors," which was simply erroneous.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Stanford's Architectural program is not accredited, however UNC-Charlotte is, as well as NC States. I'm from Charlotte his decision greatly saddens me as a Panthers fan.

In an unrelated matter this is my first post, I have been coming to this site and this board for a couple years now though. Thought I would throw this in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ... he must really enjoy Stanford and being a student.
    Remind you of a certain Blue Devil?

The concerns about salary cap-ish issues are real, but only if wealth attainment is a person's primary goal. Luck will be a #1 pick whenever he comes out. He'll be an instant millionaire. Maybe he won't be as much of a mega-millionaire, but he won't have to worry about paying his bills. Plus, he'll get to play a game he loves for a living.

Being a student-athlete occupies a small, magical segment of his life. Stanford's one of the few universities that can rival Duke. I'm sure he's having a blast. It's interesting that the prospect of losing his coach seems to have no impact. That means ... Stanford ... Earning a degree ... Cherishing the opportunity to PLAY a game (as opposed to making it a job) ... Etc. are priceless to him. Says a lot about him, as it does Kyle and Nolan.

When someone makes a decision for the love of the game, it reminds me of Shoeless Joe Jackson in , "Field of Dreams:"

JACKSON: Man, I did love this game. I'd have played for food money. It was a game.

Bravo, Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Which, of course, persuaded Mr. Luck to continue pursuit of his education.

sagegrouse
    He could have always taken the route of the last great Stanford quarterback and refused to play in Carolina.

"Luck Coming to Wallace Wade"

Unfortunately, only in a literal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It's about as big a decision as when Peyton decided to return to Tennessee for his senior season. Luck was a lock for Numero Uno and is widely regarded as a "can't-miss" NFL QB prospect...if such a thing indeed exists...

On a side note...it opens up the door for my main man Da'Quan Bowers to slide into that top spot...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    It's about as big a decision as when Peyton decided to return to Tennessee for his senior season. Luck was a lock for Numero Uno and is widely regarded as a "can't-miss" NFL QB prospect...if such a thing indeed exists...

On a side note...it opens up the door for my main man Da'Quan Bowers to slide into that top spot...
    So if the Panthers draft Bowers, who do they go after to play QB? McNab?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

NOOOOOO!

Panther nation is pretty bummed to day. I can't believe a guy would leave millions of guaranteed money on the table...who knows how high he will be drafted next year (Jake Locker). Plus, his Coach may be gone, the pay scale will more likely be in place in 2012, he will get drafted by a bad team (hopefully not Panthers) next year anyway, could get hurt and never get that money back.

I know people say his family has money, but just like Gerald H it's family money and not his own money...plus what family would turn down that much money to play a game? He can always go back to get his degree. It just baffles me the amount of money he is leaving on the table.

All that said, I look forward to watching him play in Wally Wade next year. Pretty cool how we are bringing in national powerhouses, though Stanford barely qualifies, to play us at home.