Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For the record, Duke defeated Maryland 68-59 on 2-26-72 and 85-81 on 2-3-73, both at Cameron. Gary Melchionni had a game for the ages in 1973, with 39 points.

    Elmore played in both games.

    Duke did not beat Maryland in College Park during Elmore's tenure and Maryland defeated Duke in the 1974 ACCT.
    We sucked when I was an undergrad - the worst 4 years in Duke's history 72/73 to 75/76. But we did beat top 5 Maryland in 1973 (the Melchionni game) and in 1976 (the Terry Chili game) for the only huge upsets of that period. Still 2 of the loudest games I've ever heard in Cameron! But the incident I'll relate happened in 1975 when we played Maryland, a game we lost. They had a player named Jap Trimble. I sat in the 4th row behind the visitor's bench, just behind the "buffer zone". At the end of the game, as Trimble was running along the sideline from mid court towards the bench he jumped onto the first row bench, reached into the stands and punched a student in the mouth about 5 seats to my left (nearer center court) and then kept running down court and towards the locker room. We were all stunned, to say the least. Fortunately is was only a glancing blow and no teeth were lost.

    And of course, I sat there behind the visiting bench with my air horn, blasting it into team's huddle during time outs and any time I wanted to (there was no rule saying I couldn't, even during play, and NO ONE ever stopped me for 3 years.) Today of course there is the Ozzie rule and no artificial noise makers are allowed in arenas. 3 years ago at the Iron Duke football tailgate, I introduced myself to Lefty Driesell and told him I was the guy with the air horn. He did remember me. Vividly. We had a good laugh over it. I told him I still have it at home (I do) and that some day I'll bring it to one of these things so I can get him to autograph it! He said he would.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    This thread -- and it's a great one -- has concerned opponents reacting with élan, humor and taste to our Crazies' antics. Please permit me to offer an absolutely factual incident where an adversary behaved in a less-than-classy manner.

    During my son-in-law's last year at Fuqua, he was a rabid Crazy and he especially detested UNC (hardly surprising, and certainly appropriate); it's important to understand that Jason is about 5'8" and weighed perhaps 120 pounds. Serge Zwikker was Dean Smith's starting center when the Heels played in Cameron in 1997. Jason had a terrific seat and was able to ride Zwikker mercilessly during warmups and throughout the first half. As the Heels left the floor at halftime, Jason yelled directly into Serge's face, "Hey Zwikker, you suck," at which point Zwikker attempted to jump into Cameron's bleachers to go after Jason. Only the speedy physical cohesion of the Crazies saved Jason from Zwikker (either of whose legs were probably larger than Jason). I often thank our fellow Crazies for permitting our grandchildren to bless our lives.
    God bless your son-law-in...and your grandchildren were obviosly never in question after that awesome display. Serge was big, but Jason (and his Crazies friends) were as astute and nimble as ever...Box out! Thanks for the neat personal story!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Must have been 1971 when South Carolina came to Cameron. Sometime during warmups, the cheerleaders and a group of students raced around the floor with a larger-than-life fiberglass statue of Col. Sanders, secretly borrowed from a local Kentucky Fried Chicken, wearing a giant "Fry the Cocks" sign around his neck. I think they made one lap around the floor before running back out. Not sure if Harlan ever made it back to his restaurant but the Carolina (South) players found it amusing. The coaches I think not so much.

    While not really a memory of a specific player reaction, but the recollection of Col. Sanders being hoisted on the shoulders of a bunch of students and paraded around the court is still pretty funny.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville

    the real thing

    Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    Must have been 1971 when South Carolina came to Cameron. Sometime during warmups, the cheerleaders and a group of students raced around the floor with a larger-than-life fiberglass statue of Col. Sanders, secretly borrowed from a local Kentucky Fried Chicken, wearing a giant "Fry the Cocks" sign around his neck. I think they made one lap around the floor before running back out. Not sure if Harlan ever made it back to his restaurant but the Carolina (South) players found it amusing. The coaches I think not so much.

    While not really a memory of a specific player reaction, but the recollection of Col. Sanders being hoisted on the shoulders of a bunch of students and paraded around the court is still pretty funny.
    You do know that the actual Colonel Sanders used to eat occasionally in the cafeteria during the late 60's when I was a student. He would stay at the Holiday Inn downtown while on the Duke Rice Diet that was very popular in Durham at the time. When I saw him occasionally on campus eating, he would be dressed in his white suit and sported the little goatee just as advertised. Sometimes he sat at the same table as Nurmi.

    ricks

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

    I remember the Colonel...

    ...at that game! It was hilarious. (And I seem to remember even seeing the real Colonel at one of the games, too, but that may have just been an hallucination...) Back before it became KFC, we called K-Y-Fried.

    And thanks for the memory of Nurmi, too. What a gentle soul he was.

    Grey Devil

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville

    And now the rest of the story

    In keeping with the theme of the thread, during my years at Duke, the freshmen BBall players were not allowed on the varsity. Before the varsity games, the freshman team would play the visiting ACC team. In out-of-conference games they would often play a visiting prep school, etc. Well, the prep school they were playing one night happened to have a gangly kid with a bowl haircut of pretty thick hair who sported some floppy over-sized looking high socks. At the beginning of the game, he takes the ball downcourt and puts up a shot somewhere between five to ten feet after hitting the half-court line. It clanked off the rim. We began to raz him pretty good after that. Since he would be taking the ball downcourt after the inbounds pass, we had the opportunity to then scream out "shoot kid, shoot" every time he passed the midcourt line. It got pretty loud in the Indoor Stadium of, course, but that didn't seem to deter the kid.

    He torched us for over 40 points that night (and that's when those shots only counted for 2 points) because that's one of the few shots from that area he ended up missing that night. He was magical. We kept screaming "shoot kid, shoot" after that first miss, but after the next ones went in, we changed our tone quite a bit to really mean it---and he responded. His passing and moves were just incredible to watch.

    While we ended up winning, we cheered him on throughout the game and gave him a standing ovation at the end. Unfortunately, his father (who was coaching N C State at the time) left for LSU the next year and took the kid along. Too bad, as he might have even eclipsed David Thompson for the greatest player ever to play in the ACC.

    C'mon Crusties, tell the young 'uns who that was.

    ricks

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

    The late, great....

    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post

    C'mon Crusties, tell the young 'uns who that was.

    ricks
    Pistol Pete Maravich! Who else could it be? Even in my late 60s hallucinatory state I would know who that was...

    Grey Devil

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville

    Thumbs up We have a winner!

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Devil View Post
    Pistol Pete Maravich! Who else could it be? Even in my late 60s hallucinatory state I would know who that was...

    Grey Devil
    And I might add that the back of his hair would rise way up every time he came back down from a shot and then flop back onto his neck. A perfect match to his floppy socks.

    ricks

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    ... I did have a not-so-great interaction with Clemson's Horace Grant and the tennis ball that landed with me, so I'll leave it at that. ...
    You must have cojones larger than those tennis balls - Horace was a big dude

    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    ... Zwikker attempted to jump into Cameron's bleachers to go after Jason. Only the speedy physical cohesion of the Crazies saved Jason from Zwikker (either of whose legs were probably larger than Jason). ...
    You mean the Zwikker who needed a running start to jump over the baseline? Zwikker was so slow, your son could have had a latte and still have had time to avoid Serge's surge.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    During my son-in-law's last year at Fuqua, he was a rabid Crazy and he especially detested UNC (hardly surprising, and certainly appropriate); it's important to understand that Jason is about 5'8" and weighed perhaps 120 pounds. Serge Zwikker was Dean Smith's starting center when the Heels played in Cameron in 1997. Jason had a terrific seat and was able to ride Zwikker mercilessly during warmups and throughout the first half. As the Heels left the floor at halftime, Jason yelled directly into Serge's face, "Hey Zwikker, you suck," at which point Zwikker attempted to jump into Cameron's bleachers to go after Jason. Only the speedy physical cohesion of the Crazies saved Jason from Zwikker (either of whose legs were probably larger than Jason). I often thank our fellow Crazies for permitting our grandchildren to bless our lives.
    Zwikker wasn't the only Carolina guy to be less than amused with our Crazies. A guy I know who went to Duke relates the story of giving Dean an earful as Carolina exited the court (I believe it was after a Carolina win), and Dean stuck his tongue out at this Dukie. The Duke student leaned forward to rebut, a move that Deano's personal bodyguard/hitman, Steve Bucknall took exception to. Steve responded by punching the Dukie squarely in the chest. Scholarship earned...
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  11. #51

    Have a Drink

    As mentioned earlier, NC State coach Norm Sloan had no sense of humor. Watching his weekly TV show was painful to say the least, but necessary viewing in the pre-internet age for insights to our competition.

    On one show, Norm Sloan would whine and whine in his humorless droning voice about the Duke students...particlarly noting how they would be drinking hours before the game and were drunk and unruly. I vaguely recall chants to Sloan at games along the lines of "have a drink norm sloan, have a drink- clap,clap".

    Flash forward to Jom Valvano entering Cameron for the first time as the State coach...as he entered, he was carrying an inflatabe booze bottle over his head with a big grin on his face. He was grinning ear to ear and got a huge roar from the Duke crowd.

    He knew how to have fun. What a showman (even if I did despise him at the time). He loved playing with the crowd.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    You do know that the actual Colonel Sanders used to eat occasionally in the cafeteria during the late 60's when I was a student. He would stay at the Holiday Inn downtown while on the Duke Rice Diet that was very popular in Durham at the time. When I saw him occasionally on campus eating, he would be dressed in his white suit and sported the little goatee just as advertised. Sometimes he sat at the same table as Nurmi.

    ricks
    I had completely forgotten about that! And the escapades of the Rice Dieters- now that is another off-topic thread. Nurmi looked about 100 when I was there, and I think he made it another 20 or 30 years.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    I had completely forgotten about that! And the escapades of the Rice Dieters- now that is another off-topic thread. Nurmi looked about 100 when I was there, and I think he made it another 20 or 30 years.
    Elvis used to come to town for the diet. He stayed in a railroad car parked over by West Durham Lumber on Hillsborough road.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Elvis used to come to town for the diet. He stayed in a railroad car parked over by West Durham Lumber on Hillsborough road.
    Dom DeLuise was on the rice diet at some time during my tenure.

    On-topic: I remember in '86 when Len Bias torched us for 40+ points. Back in the day before the three pointer, and when we had the absolute best defense in the country. He got a standing O from the crowd when he finally fouled out, and he looked genuinely appreciative of the recognition.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Dom DeLuise was on the rice diet at some time during my tenure.
    There were (and probably still are) many others. Elizabeth Taylor, Buddy Hackett, etc. were regulars.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    There were (and probably still are) many others. Elizabeth Taylor, Buddy Hackett, etc. were regulars.
    Burl Ives was a regular participant when I was an undergraduate. I was once mistaken for his much younger wife while in one of the X-ray clinics at the medical center.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I was there. Dennis had trimmed down remarkably in the off season and we had brought the twinkies to throw. Dennis did, indeed, pick up a twinkie (one which was still in the wrapper) and ate it. He also accepted a challenge from the crazies to shoot it from near halfcourt in warmups. My memory says he drained it, but I'm not sure about that detail. But, heck, he drained everything else he put up that night, so why not?
    The real story is as follows. I brought a box of doughnuts to the game and was sitting behind the GT bench. My Stonehenge colleague, Lionel Betsch took the box, walked on the court, and approached Scott. Brian Oliver met them as well at the top of the circle. Lionel being the impish soul that he is, offered him a doughnut. Scott picked it up and said that if he ate it, he would be good for 40 that night.

    As for the challenge...it was noneother than Seth Davis (then a Freshman) who challenged him. Seth, IIRC threw up several airballs. Scott hit his shots and won. As he was leaving the court to the visiting teams locker room he hit a turnaround jumper from the midcourt circle and promply trotted to the visiting team's locker room to a standing O

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

    On-topic: I remember in '86 when Len Bias torched us for 40+ points. Back in the day before the three pointer, and when we had the absolute best defense in the country. He got a standing O from the crowd when he finally fouled out, and he looked genuinely appreciative of the recognition.

    Something similar happened when Carolina, of all teams, played in Cameron in 1992. Duke obviously had a great team that year, but Carolina had beaten us a month earlier in the Dean Dome. The game in Cameron was not only the rematch, but also the regular season finale and Senior Day for Christian Laettner and Brian Davis -- no way we were losing that game. We played well and ultimately won, but the one guy we absolutely couldn't stop was Hubert Davis. He single-handedly kept Carolina in the game and I think he finished with 35.

    At one point in the second half, he went down with an injury of some kind -- nothing major, maybe a tweaked ankle or something like that, and he wasn't down for too long. He was able to get up and walk to the bench, and the crowd started to give him some polite applause. Then K stood up and started waving his arms up and down, as if to say, "C'mon, this dude is killing us -- he deserves a much better ovation than that!" The crowd responded, and the golf applause crescendoed into a full-blown standing ovation.

    Despite being a Heel, Hubert Davis was generally recognized as being a good guy, so it was a pretty cool moment.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Close to the Gothic Playground!

    Horace Grant and the tennis ball...

    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You must have cojones larger than those tennis balls - Horace was a big dude



    You mean the Zwikker who needed a running start to jump over the baseline? Zwikker was so slow, your son could have had a latte and still have had time to avoid Serge's surge.
    ...BD80, no, actually, that was quite by mistake, that little encounter with Horace/tennis ball. I did think I might die that night by the way. Guaranteed that if you meet him in an airport and ask him if he remembers that, he will remember it.

    dth.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    The real story is as follows. I brought a box of doughnuts to the game and was sitting behind the GT bench. My Stonehenge colleague, Lionel Betsch took the box, walked on the court, and approached Scott. Brian Oliver met them as well at the top of the circle. Lionel being the impish soul that he is, offered him a doughnut. Scott picked it up and said that if he ate it, he would be good for 40 that night.

    As for the challenge...it was noneother than Seth Davis (then a Freshman) who challenged him. Seth, IIRC threw up several airballs. Scott hit his shots and won. As he was leaving the court to the visiting teams locker room he hit a turnaround jumper from the midcourt circle and promply trotted to the visiting team's locker room to a standing O
    I'll defer to your memory of the event since there's a good chance mine has been fuzzied by alcohol consumed either at that time or shortly afterwards, and my details easily could be wrong. Only one correction: Davis graduated in 1992, so he should have been a sophomore at the time (unless he graduated early, which is entirely possible). That game occurred in spring, 1990 - my freshman year - and I graduated in 1993, sans laude.
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

Similar Threads

  1. HS Team Intentionally Misses FT for Opposing Player
    By blazindw in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. Cameron Crazies
    By RaineyDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 11:50 PM
  3. Thank You Crazies!!!
    By dukemomLA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
  4. SI v The Crazies
    By DukePA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
  5. Why don't players help up the other team's players anymore?
    By trinity92 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •