Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. UAB Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Next up is the University of Alabama Birmingham (10-2) which is ranked #61 by Pomeroy. UAB has lost to Arizona State and Georgia. They have wins over Top 100 teams Arkansas and VCU. Their leading scorer is Jamarr Sanders (6'4" 200) who averages 17.3 ppg. Cameron Moore (6'8" 225) averages 17.1 ppg and 9.1 rpg. Aaron Johnson (5'8" 185) averages 10.1 ppg and has an A/T ratio of 2.61. Ovie Soko (6'8" 225) also averages 10.1 ppg to go along with 5.9 rpg..

This has the potential to be a tough OOC match-up!
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks Bob. I didn't realize they were rated that high, alot of ACC teams are jealous. I'm sure K will have them aware. This team still has so much to learn...and I'm loving watching them in school. After last year, I realize that these days are the ones that define the team in the long run, win AND lose.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here's a link to their team page on ESPN.

As Bob Green notes above, they have a 10-2 record; although they have not played a ranked team, their opponents have been recognizable basketball names like Arkansas, Georgia, Kent State, VCU, and others. Sanders and Moore are two good scorers. This won't be easy.

Here's another ESPN article which highlights the matchup.

UAB at Duke: C-USA has a great opportunity to send a message, and UAB could be that messenger. Duke is the undisputed No. 1 team in the land, but don't look past these Blazers. Aaron Johnson is a premier passer and press breaker and Jamarr Sanders and Cameron Moore give Johnson two great targets to feed.
    Last edited by roywhite; 01-03-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: additional link

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Here's a link to their team page on ESPN.

As Bob Green notes above, they have a 10-2 record; although they have not played a ranked team, their opponents have been recognizable basketball names like Arkansas, Georgia, Kent State, VCU, and others. Sanders and Moore are two good scorers. This won't be easy.

Here's another ESPN article which highlights the matchup.
    Good, I don't mind beating up on a 10-2 team that has some non-pathetic wins. (knock on wood!) I felt kind of bad smacking around 0-11 UNC-G.

UAB

Anybody somewhat nervous or uneasy about this game tomorrow? Mike Davis is a good coach and they've got some nice players. With Maryland on the horizon, hope we are focused on UAB.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Good, I don't mind beating up on a 10-2 team that has some non-pathetic wins. (knock on wood!) I felt kind of bad smacking around 0-11 UNC-G.
    Knock on wood is right! With Maryland up this weekend I'm sure the staff and players are being careful not to look ahead. UAB is a legit test and I'm hoping for a more crisp offensive performance than what we saw vs. Miami, although I'll take an 11pt ACC win any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Anybody somewhat nervous or uneasy about this game tomorrow? Mike Davis is a good coach and they've got some nice players. With Maryland on the horizon, hope we are focused on UAB.
    Is this the same Mike Davis that led the IU team that beat us in 2002? If so, revenge is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Is this the same Mike Davis that led the IU team that beat us in 2002? If so, revenge is in order.
    This Mike Davis is apparently a good coach, so it can't be the same guy that got run from Indiana.

When Mike Davis beat Duke last, I recall him being rather a bad sport about. He seemed very pleased with himself. Smug. Or worse.

The memory is a bit fuzzy, but I don't think he represented his school with much class. I was mad.

Either way, yes...let's get some payback.

As for being nervous, I'm not particularly nervous. I don't think it's a team Duke will sleep on, considering this team has only lost twice by a total of 5 points, against fairly good teams. I think we'll come to play. They have good veteran guards though. It will be a fun game to watch and another good test to see how Duke can do without Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This Mike Davis is apparently a good coach, so it can't be the same guy that got run from Indiana.
    According to UAB basketball page, it is the same Mike Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    When Mike Davis beat Duke last, I recall him being rather a bad sport about. He seemed very pleased with himself. Smug. Or worse.

The memory is a bit fuzzy, but I don't think he represented his school with much class. I was mad.

Either way, yes...let's get some payback.

As for being nervous, I'm not particularly nervous. I don't think it's a team Duke will sleep on, considering this team has only lost twice by a total of 5 points, against fairly good teams. I think we'll come to play. They have good veteran guards though. It will be a fun game to watch and another good test to see how Duke can do without Kyrie.
    I agree, I don't think we'll be looking ahead to Maryland by any means. Though they are more of our rival, there is nothing that indicates Maryland would be a stiffer challenge than UAB. This is a good team with more than a few capable scorers so I think we'll come ready to play, more so than Miami in which we got off to a pretty slow start.
    Last edited by ChicagoCrazy84; 01-04-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling goof

Here are some game notes/preview from a UAB perspective:

http://www.cbs42.com/sports/story/Ga...cspx?rss=2272
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here are some game notes/preview from a UAB perspective:

http://www.cbs42.com/sports/story/Ga...cspx?rss=2272
    A couple interesting notes from the link; UAB has beaten the #1 team as recently as 2004. (which was probably enjoyed by Duke fans) And their senior PG is pretty good.

• Wednesday's contest marks the fourth time in program history that the Blazers will challenge the nation's top-ranked team. UAB owns an all-time record of 1-2 in such contests, with the only victory coming against then-No. 1 Kentucky on March 21, 2004 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

• UAB senior guard Aaron Johnson comes into Wednesday's contest leading the country in assists per game (8.3). With 12 assists against George Washington, the 2011 Bob Cousy Award nominee now owns the school record for double-digit assist games in a season with five on the campaign, accomplishing the feat in just 12 contests this season. He now has 99 assists compared to just 38 turnovers on the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    A couple interesting notes from the link; UAB has beaten the #1 team as recently as 2004. (which was probably enjoyed by Duke fans) And their senior PG is pretty good.
    I remember that game - who could forget this play??

Mike Davis

Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

I hope we beat them by 30 and play the starters 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

Not me. I hope we play great and beat them soundly, and our bench gets lots of time.

UAB is a small team, according to Pomeroy. Be interesting to see if our size gives them trouble or we have to go small.

The greatest moment in UAB hoops history came in 1982 when they knocked Ralph Sampson and third-ranked Virginia out of the NCAAs.

Aaron Johnson is a pretty quick little guard. I wonder if Tyler will get some minutes defending the little guy? We might see Nolan, Seth, and Tyler taking turns trying to slow Aaron down.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I share everyone else's feelings towards Davis, but I hope we treat it like just another team on the schedule if we win. The 2002 game will forever be his greatest win. What does it say about how far has he fallen when we of all fanbases are wondering whether it's the same Mike Davis coaching UAB? It would be like NY Mets fans wondering whether this is the same guy from 1986.

The manner in which he called out the Duke staffer (who was NOT coaching staff or otherwise directly involved with the team... SID I think) for the "what time is our next game" comment was also revealing. There he was after his greatest accomplishment ever, and that's the first thing it occurrs to him to talk about?

That said, he did exploit a weakness of ours in 2002, so it's worth watching how he plays us tonight.

This game is a classic definition of a "trap game." A non-conference game between two of Duke's toughest conference rivals the past few years. UAB has quality wins, a great coach (sorry to the Mike Davis detractors) and good balance anchored by a strong forward combo and great PG. They are good at shooting 3's, but they aren't perimeter oriented as they have a 17ppg big man and another 17ppg wing man. They also have been getting good bench production.

I hope Duke thrashes them, but I will be comfortable with any victory that doesn't cause a heart-attack. I want Duke to be tested some more before conference play takes over.