Looking for Basketball Strategy Book

Hi,
    I've been watching Duke BB since my undergrad days in '89 but have never been able to follow the subtleties of the game other than watching the ball. The fine staff at dukeblueplanet suggested some DVD's (http://tinyurl.com/2f7b8u6). Before I invest a lot of money in videos, I was hoping some forum members might have some of their own book and/or video recommendations.
    Thanks,
    Craig Hutchinson

"Basketball: Multiple Offense and Defense" by Dean Smith

Totally serious.

That book has great reviews on Amazon.com. I'll add it to the list.
    Thank you,
    Craig

The list from DukeBluePlanet looks great -- if I had the money, I'd probably pop for one of the All-Access practices. I haven't seen any of the DVDs, but it looks like the practice ones will have more than you want to know about general X's and O's. It looks like the series is geared to coaches (or uber fans) who already have some knowledge of the game. If you watch that and still want more detail, then spring for some of the others that are more specific (like breaking the press or attacking the zone). Then come back here and post a review of the DVDs.

Though I haven't read it, Dean Smith's book should be an excellent reference.

Another great print reference is this list. Read the threads about upcoming opponents. Some of the great minds here will let you know that the opponent is likely to use a 2-3 zone or a Princeton offense. They'll also note what our players need to do -- perhaps go up strong to the basket after taking a pass or defend the perimeter. Take a few notes, ask questions (or use Google to see if instructional videos exist on YouTube), then watch the game and look for those concepts in action.

Books/print are definitely good, but it might be helpful to have a video to see concepts illustrated in real time, slow, or stop motion. To do this inexpensively, I'd suggest watching games where Bobby Knight is a commentator. He'll give plenty of GREAT instruction while the game is going on. Watch as many games as you can that are NOT Duke to learn...it's too easy to get caught up in cheering for Duke instead of learning!

I can tell you from first-hand experience that if you aren't well versed in basketball strategy, watching a Duke/Coach K practice will leave your head spinning with the overwhelming amount of information in less than 20 minutes! It might be easier if you read the threads here, find a concept to learn, then ask a question about it. If you don't know what a 1-2-2 zone is, start a thread and ask! Learn concepts one at a time at your own pace rather than all at once and you'll enjoy it more. I promise you, if you post a basic question, like "What's the difference between man-to-man and zone defense," lots of people here will read the thread because they've been wanting to know, but didn't think to ask! You will get plenty of excellent, expert answers, too, along with lots of history of the program (as in, "Remember when Heyman/Gminski/Dennard/J. Dawkins/Hurley/Ferry/etc. illustrated that concept nicely?!").

JMHO.

Not a book but a pretty informative website

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot...d-offense.html

I found this to be somewhat helpful. It is dated, but does a good job of breaking things down.

Again, thank you for the great pointers!