Surround Sound for my TV

I have a Samsung LED HD TV and am interested in putting in a surround sound system that I can play the TV audio through. Any suggestions from the gurus on DBR?

I like my Samsung LED with my Yamaha A/V receiver. Whatever receiver you get, make sure you have all the inputs you'll need - including several (a bunch!) of HDMI, svideo, and regular video, along with the usual audio. A couple inputs on the front of the receiver are helpful, too, for the occasional temporary connection - perhaps a video camera playback.

My Yamaha has a microphone you place at your favorite TV viewing spot, and it automatically verifies and balances the speakers to focus there. Keeps you from accidentally reversing polarity or over-/under-emphasizing a speaker. I turn the subwoofer down just a bit - movies are big on boosting it and it rattles the house otherwise.

My primary source is my Tivo, but I also have a way-old vcr, a dvd player, and just got a Blu-Ray player I haven't hooked up yet. I have a CD changer and an mp3 player going into the receiver, and sometimes my XM radio.

The signal goes from Comcast to the Tivo; an HDMI cable runs from my Tivo to the receiver; the receiver sends video out over HDMI to the TV and audio out to wired 5.1 surround speakers. The Blu-Ray will hook the same way. The way-old vcr connects similarly, but with the yellow video input rather than hdmi. (So old it doesn't even support svideo.) The dvd will go away when the Blu-Ray goes in.

Back speakers are the toughest part: I ran the back wires when we moved into the house years ago and were doing some wall work. Lots of companies out there who can discreetly install ceiling speakers. There are some wireless speaker sets available, too, but they need power of some sort, so you're still dealing with wires. Some people try to use all front speakers that attempt to project the sound and create a perception of surround, but I don't think it sounds quite right.

My setup works like a champ: when one of my kids was three, he noticed Nemo swimming around the room and was amazed - he couldn't stop following the sounds around. I think a good surround setup makes a bigger difference than the TV itself.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I like my Samsung LED with my Yamaha A/V receiver. Whatever receiver you get, make sure you have all the inputs you'll need - including several (a bunch!) of HDMI, svideo, and regular video, along with the usual audio. A couple inputs on the front of the receiver are helpful, too, for the occasional temporary connection - perhaps a video camera playback.

My Yamaha has a microphone you place at your favorite TV viewing spot, and it automatically verifies and balances the speakers to focus there. Keeps you from accidentally reversing polarity or over-/under-emphasizing a speaker. I turn the subwoofer down just a bit - movies are big on boosting it and it rattles the house otherwise.

My primary source is my Tivo, but I also have a way-old vcr, a dvd player, and just got a Blu-Ray player I haven't hooked up yet. I have a CD changer and an mp3 player going into the receiver, and sometimes my XM radio.

The signal goes from Comcast to the Tivo; an HDMI cable runs from my Tivo to the receiver; the receiver sends video out over HDMI to the TV and audio out to wired 5.1 surround speakers. The Blu-Ray will hook the same way. The way-old vcr connects similarly, but with the yellow video input rather than hdmi. (So old it doesn't even support svideo.) The dvd will go away when the Blu-Ray goes in.

Back speakers are the toughest part: I ran the back wires when we moved into the house years ago and were doing some wall work. Lots of companies out there who can discreetly install ceiling speakers. There are some wireless speaker sets available, too, but they need power of some sort, so you're still dealing with wires. Some people try to use all front speakers that attempt to project the sound and create a perception of surround, but I don't think it sounds quite right.

My setup works like a champ: when one of my kids was three, he noticed Nemo swimming around the room and was amazed - he couldn't stop following the sounds around. I think a good surround setup makes a bigger difference than the TV itself.

-jk
    Thanks. I'll check out Yamaha. I used to have an Onkyo system but I gave it away. Also, it was pre-HDMI and I do want to use HDMI.

Get that Bose system!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I have a Samsung LED HD TV and am interested in putting in a surround sound system that I can play the TV audio through. Any suggestions from the gurus on DBR?
    Hey Indoor,

I purchased the Bose system last year at HH Gregg; spent about $950 as I recall it, but the sound is really great and it feels/sounds like we're at the movie theater (that side of the house will vibrate/shake with Master and Commander's battle scenes on, for example)! The reason we chose to purchase it: the speaker system included within that HD TV wasn't projecting enough to handle the room where we'd placed it, so we needed more horsepower to get that sound to the room!

It has the two smaller speakers with cables, and also a large sub-woofer. I bought a stand and mounted one small speaker on that and placed it behind a chair; also have the sub-woofer behind that same chair and ran the second smaller speaker to the right of the TV (have a SONY HD).

We are pleased with the system and it hasn't given us a moment of trouble.

dth.

if you want something a little more economical, I just got a samsung sound bar and subwoofer that I hooked up to the TV. The sound is great, the install was a breeze, and I am really happy with it. We have a holiday party and used it to play music from one of the music channels on the TV and it was perfect.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Hey Indoor,

I purchased the Bose system last year at HH Gregg; spent about $950 as I recall it, but the sound is really great and it feels/sounds like we're at the movie theater (that side of the house will vibrate/shake with Master and Commander's battle scenes on, for example)! The reason we chose to purchase it: the speaker system included within that HD TV wasn't projecting enough to handle the room where we'd placed it, so we needed more horsepower to get that sound to the room!

It has the two smaller speakers with cables, and also a large sub-woofer. I bought a stand and mounted one small speaker on that and placed it behind a chair; also have the sub-woofer behind that same chair and ran the second smaller speaker to the right of the TV (have a SONY HD).

dth.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't your placement of the speakers and sub woofer create some direction errors. I would think that you would be getting sounds intended for the front to hit you from the rear or from over there on the right. My sound system is just for music, so I have it installed in the living room which is better suited for for music, not in the TV room. There I have just the Sony Bravia LCD that gives out pretty good sound.

I have a Bose speakers with a Pioneer sound system, a CD changer, tape and a Dual turn table for folks that would like to hear music from my small collection of vinyl LPs. Properly balanced you can close your eyes a feel as if you are right in the lounge with Dave Brubeck playing Blue Rondo à la Turk. Balance is essential for true sound.
    I'm just saying.

Hey Indoor,

dth.
    I have enjoyed several Bose systems and owned the first generation of the one dukestheheat probably has (1-2-3). It's easy to set up and is a neat improvement on TV speakers.

But, in addition to being pricey for a pretty fair system, if the base unit (with the dvd/cd player) ever goes bad, the speakers are useless. There's just no way to get the sound right without that unit.

I tried to find a reasonably priced used unit for my speakers. But since speakers usually don't go bad, and the base unit often does, I couldn't find one.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Jarhead, on the speaker placement as it stands right now...

it seems to work well but should I move that right speaker (on the stand) which sits next to the sub-woofer (both are behind the chair)? We haven't noted any sound mis-direction or lack of sound quality otherwise, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

As it stands right now, as we look at the TV and then off to my left, one Bose speaker sits on the tabletop and points to us and into the kitchen. To my right, then, is the chair fronting the sub-woofer and speaker-on-the-purchased-stand (to project over the chair). We haven't gone the extra step of getting the speakers mounted into the walls or anything like that, but instead have chosen to use the cords sent for each speaker (and, where they ultimately sit matches the cord length).

Thanks for any input you have,

dth.

it seems to work well but should I move that right speaker (on the stand) which sits next to the sub-woofer (both are behind the chair)? We haven't noted any sound mis-direction or lack of sound quality otherwise, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

As it stands right now, as we look at the TV and then off to my left, one Bose speaker sits on the tabletop and points to us and into the kitchen. To my right, then, is the chair fronting the sub-woofer and speaker-on-the-purchased-stand (to project over the chair). We haven't gone the extra step of getting the speakers mounted into the walls or anything like that, but instead have chosen to use the cords sent for each speaker (and, where they ultimately sit matches the cord length).

Thanks for any input you have,

dth.
    Sometimes an expedient works just fine, so go with it. I haven't found the need to add speakers in the TV room even though we watch a lot of movies in there. Theater sound is too loud for me, and distorted to boot. That, the fuzzy screens, and the sticky floors have kept me out of theaters for some time now.

Speaker placement

You can experiment with the bass module and see where the sound seems realistic and not boomy. This is because the lower frequencies don't require a direct, unobstructed line between the sub module and your ear. The satellite speakers, though, should have nothing in the way to block the sound waves' path to your ear. The mid- and higher frequencies are directional. The main sound will travel in a straight line to the listener.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Do you have need for Blu-ray or Wi-Fi? If so, I would check out a Samsung Blu-ray player and home theatre combo. Samsung does a really good job of integrating their devices using Anynet+. I have a Samsung LCD and an older 5.1 surround + DVD player.

This is a pretty broad question- you may want to check out avsforum or similar sites and do a bit of research.

Lots of great "online only" speaker deals- I use a HSU subwoofer and Ventriloquist speakers that I enjoy very much.

Mirage makes great speakers as well.

I prefer Denon receivers, but Pioneer and Yamaha make great A/V receivers as well.

If you have a 3D TV, make sure you buy an A/V receiver that supports HDMI 1.4 (or is upgradeable to be so) if you want to use HDMI for all your inputs and outputs.

Budget is certainly a key factor in terms of recommendations relative to spend.

Good luck!

-g

If you're trying to do a simple 5.1 speaker setup (5 speakers + 1 subwoofer for low frequencies) I would check this diagram out for the correct speaker placements. http://lifehacker.com/5723352/dolby-...s-home-theater

A home theater in a box system might suit your needs just fine. I would start there first. Or go with a sound bar.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Hi Indoor, I don't know if you're still searching but I just got a very economical "package" surround from Best Buy for our bonus room. It's a Samsung, has built-in Blue-Ray player with 6 speaker surround including sub. It's 1000watts so it's plenty loud for the room it's in. The best part is it was only $199 (reg $349.99), but I'm not sure how long it'll be on sale.

It has built in ipod docks, and downloadable widgets and apps for facbook, youtube, twitter etc. It's a really neat set up for the the price.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Hi Indoor, I don't know if you're still searching but I just got a very economical "package" surround from Best Buy for our bonus room. It's a Samsung, has built-in Blue-Ray player with 6 speaker surround including sub. It's 1000watts so it's plenty loud for the room it's in. The best part is it was only $199 (reg $349.99), but I'm not sure how long it'll be on sale.

It has built in ipod docks, and downloadable widgets and apps for facbook, youtube, twitter etc. It's a really neat set up for the the price.

Good Luck!
    Thanks. I actually looked at that setup at Best Buy - but have not decided. That model (I think 850) is definitely on the table.

If you decide soon, you can use one of these coupons if it's not on sale.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/bestbuy.com

I used the 10% off any one, non-sale item. Printed it out and took it in, and it worked fine. I'd had good luck with Yamaha before, and their YHT493BL got good reviews. It sounds awesome with my PS3 hooked up by optical audio cable. Anyway, if you want to go best buy, some of these coupons are great.

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    If you decide soon, you can use one of these coupons if it's not on sale.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/bestbuy.com

I used the 10% off any one, non-sale item. Printed it out and took it in, and it worked fine. I'd had good luck with Yamaha before, and their YHT493BL got good reviews. It sounds awesome with my PS3 hooked up by optical audio cable. Anyway, if you want to go best buy, some of these coupons are great.

-Joe
    Thanks - I'll check it out. Plan to do something this week.