Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I haven't had much of chance to watch Miami play this year, being from the Midwest they aren't televised that often. I know Scott is one heck of an athlete and he really knows how to pressure a defense. With that being said, does anyone have any other concerns like matchups, tempo, or _____ (fill in the blank) that we should watch out for??

I know it's a tough road game to play but I think our Devils are up for challenge. Just curious to hear what others have seen in this Miami team that has ESPN talking upset....

Quote Originally Posted by smcook313 View Post
    I haven't had much of chance to watch Miami play this year, being from the Midwest they aren't televised that often. I know Scott is one heck of an athlete and he really knows how to pressure a defense. With that being said, does anyone have any other concerns like matchups, tempo, or _____ (fill in the blank) that we should watch out for??

I know it's a tough road game to play but I think our Devils are up for challenge. Just curious to hear what others have seen in this Miami team that has ESPN talking upset....
    Umm... It's a home game.

-jk

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Umm... It's a home game.

-jk
    My apologies...Tough home game was my thought but not what I typed. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by smcook313 View Post

I haven't really seen or heard a lot about Miami this year either. I think I'll fill in the blank with my only concern. The past couple of years, it seems as if Miami is one of the "grittier" (trying to be nice) teams we face. I hope the trend doesn't continue, but if it does I'm curious as to how our guys will react. They are definitely going to have to bring their big boy pants either way because it will probably be a very physical game.

Miami is 11th in the ACC in Turnover Margin and 10th in Assists/Turnover Ratio, while Duke is #1 and #2 respectively. Moreover, Miami's big man Reggie Johnson isn't quick and athletic so I expect Duke will look to push the tempo and force Miami into an up and down game.

Ken Pomeroy predicts an 88-66 Duke victory.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Miami is 11th in the ACC in Turnover Margin and 10th in Assists/Turnover Ratio, while Duke is #1 and #2 respectively. Moreover, Miami's big man Reggie Johnson isn't quick and athletic so I expect Duke will look to push the tempo and force Miami into an up and down game.

I like that spread. Frank Haith is an excellent coach. He graduated from Elon University and is from Burlington.

How many of the guards (shooting guards) are left on the Miami team? I know all the local sports stations, say the ACC is way down this season. But this Sunday will be Duke's first ACC game.

Thanks and as Always,
    Go Duke!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Wow. This guy is "please don't eat me" type big:
    Reggie Johnson

Class:
    Sophomore
    Hometown:
    Winston-Salem, N.C.
    High School:
    Winston-Salem Prep
    Height / Weight:
    6-10 / 303
    Position:
    C

So this guy is a Glenn Davis-type player. I wonder how the Plums deal with that? I guess they just focus on jumping and quickness.

Big guys

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    So this guy is a Glenn Davis-type player. I wonder how the Plums deal with that? I guess they just focus on jumping and quickness.
    Well, they played against him twice last year. They'll front him, of course.

On the other side of the court, how will he deal with MP1, MP2, and Kelly? How will Miami defend ball screens?

what in the world is this doing on page 2? this is GAME DAY y'all...

LET'S GO DUKE !!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'll be looking at one thing and one thing only:

How do Nolan and Seth perform at the point vs Durand Scott?
    Can they penetrate? Can they run the offense efficiently?
    My main scorecard will be their A/T ratio in the game.
    In addition, can they contain Scott? (I think it is likely that they can.)

Others will be looking at Nolan's scoring also...while it's important that Nolan score at the point within the "new" offense, in my mind that is secondary to his other PG duties.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I haven't had a chance to watch the Hurricanes yet either, but they usually play us well and they are well coached. While looking up some previews of the game this morning, I found this opinion.
    Underrated Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott are the ACC's best backcourt duo now that Duke's Irving is injured. Sophomore Reggie Johnson adds a powerful presence on the boards, but the Hurricanes don't force enough turnovers. They are averaging two more turnovers per game than their opponents, and that shouldn't happen with a backcourt that's so talented.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/...the-class.html

I don't mind them not listing Duke as tops in that category since we don't seem to have set on who is our starting backcourt yet. But regardless of who starts with Nolan, our guards are damn good.
    Good to see the bit about the turnovers, we should capitalize well on them. The one thing I'll be watching for mostly is the way we start; I'm hoping we don't come out sloppy, if we do we may take a while to get on track.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We all remember what Mason Plumlee did against a similar type guy as Reggie Johnson in the CBE last month. I hope he can put up some nice numbers tonight against Reggie and co. He needs to get his confidence going again.

Besides that, I just wanna see a balanced game overall. Nolan and Kyle shouldn't have to score 20+ every game for us to win. They won't, but its always nice to see big games from other guys. Its been a running theme with Kyrie out, but I hope Seth and Andre can play well against their talented backcourt. Duke wins 88-71

Is tonight's game on national TV? It doesn't appear to be on any of the ESPN channels. If anyone knows where it's being broadcast, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't mind them not listing Duke as tops in that category since we don't seem to have set on who is our starting backcourt yet. But regardless of who starts with Nolan, our guards are damn good.
    Good to see the bit about the turnovers, we should capitalize well on them. The one thing I'll be watching for mostly is the way we start; I'm hoping we don't come out sloppy, if we do we may take a while to get on track.
    I think their propensity to cough the ball up bodes well for us, as Nolan is a great man defender and Seth has shown very nice hands for picking up steals. I think sometime before the half-way pt in the ACC season Nolan and Seth will be regarded as the best backcourt duo in the ACC.
    Ryan Kelly also seems to get more steals and blocks than it seems like a sometimes-starting So. should. Although RJ may be able to push him under the basket, Ryan's timing and height may end up allowing him to get a couple of doubt-inducing blocks.
    Miles has shown a really nice and quick spin move on occasion, which may be really handy if he's left one on one with Johnson on the block, seeing how RJ is a bit hefty.
    Another thing I'll be looking for, does Miami have any guards off the bench that can deal with Andre? If their defense lags off him and leaves him with open 3s, he's gonna hurt them. He's also shown an increased ability to drive a little bit, hit pull-up jumpers or throw down some def jams.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Is tonight's game on national TV? It doesn't appear to be on any of the ESPN channels. If anyone knows where it's being broadcast, please share.
    FSCHD Channel 1508 here in Fayetteville.

From what I can tell, New York, NY listings have channel 48 showing the game at 7:30. Tip 7:45.

It's showing on Fox Sports in the South. Here is the info link, but I couldn't figure out how to paste it as a hyperlink:

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/n...1&refresh_ad=0

if someone knows of an online site that will be hosting the game such as justintv and would link to the broadcast closer to gametime i'd really appreciate it. I don't have fsn here in iowa, I've got comcast instead and they are showing the bears postgame show instead of the duke game. They are showing the duke game at 1230 tonight but i dont want to be up until 3 watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    if someone knows of an online site that will be hosting the game such as justintv and would link to the broadcast closer to gametime i'd really appreciate it. I don't have fsn here in iowa, I've got comcast instead and they are showing the bears postgame show instead of the duke game. They are showing the duke game at 1230 tonight but i dont want to be up until 3 watching it.
    In Philadelphia, Comcast is showing a Flyers game/post-game show on the channel they usually would show the Fox Sunday night game, but I believe they are showing our game on their Comcast Sports HD channel. Of course, you'd have to have the HD channel to see it there.

Is tonight's game on national TV?
    In the Puget Sound area, Comcast Channel 30 (FSN) will air the game.
    Bob Green