Perlozzo out as O's manager

Not terribly surprising. Can they fire the owner?

I wish we could get a new owner. But, some people think that the hiring of a new COO, Andy McPhail, could signal a change in which Angelos gives up control of the team for the time being. He might have finally realized that he doesn't know what he's doing.

If the Orioles can land Joe Girardi as manager, I'll be pretty happy.

Unhappy The Yard

When the Yard is empty most nights because the owner refuses to put a team on the field that can win. Girardi is a good manager--but honestly what is there to work with? They have little as far as marketable players (and the biggest one should be trade--Tejada). It's tough to generate interest in a team so mediocre (read poor).

Question Tejada

Quote Originally Posted by ivduke View Post
    (and the biggest one should be trade--Tejada).
    Can Tejada play first base? This Yankee fan wants to know.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Lifelong O's Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ivduke View Post
    When the Yard is empty most nights because the owner refuses to put a team on the field that can win. Girardi is a good manager--but honestly what is there to work with? They have little as far as marketable players (and the biggest one should be trade--Tejada). It's tough to generate interest in a team so mediocre (read poor).
    I'm a life-long O's fan and while I agree they don't have the best talent, I do believe they have a lot more talent than to have the record they do now. The pitching staff has potential (stinks that Lowe got hurt) but Bedard, Cabrerra, they should be winning more - and they've got players that can hit. It's frustrating. It's like they play with no heart also.

Such a great ballpark, such a great tradition. And Murray just recently got fired as the Dodgers hitting coach. Another tough one for the O's.

What's Rick Dempsey up to these days? I'd like to see a guy like him manage the team.

-EarlJam

great history is right i have also been a orioles fan forever. these days the best baseball being played in maryland is up 95 about 30 miles in aberdeens ironbird stadium all heart

Leo Mazzone

The main reason, it was reported, he went to the Os was to be with his childhood friend - Sam Perlazzo. Now that that relationship is done - what are the chances of him coming back to work with Bobby again?

As a Bawlmer native, it pains me to see how horrible the Orioles are, year after year. I grew up in the days of Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, and so many others. When I was a 12-13 or so, I'd sit every night on the front steps of our rowhouse with a transistor radio, listening to the games. Nothing was like hear Chuck Thompson celebrate a great play by saying, "Go to war, Miss Agnes!" or "Ain't the beer cold!"

Ahh, for the good old days, Hon.
    No soup for you!

I agree it is very painful to watch the O's play. Maybe the most interesting part is seeing the new and innovative ways they have of choking away late leads. I believe they had a streak of something like 14 straight games where they had a lead, and lost around ten games or so. The most frustrating part to me is the bullpen they threw all that money at in the offseason has been pretty freaking awful. They need to ditch this two year plan, and trade Tejada for some prospects while they can still get something of value for him.
    Kudos for getting rid of Perlozzo, though. I had a feeling he was done after the Mother's Day debacle against Boston, when they interviewed him, and it sounded like his wife had run over the dog with the truck she left town in. Maybe they can get someone to light a fire under their collective behinds, and make the team a little more exciting to watch.

Days of old when knights were bold...

I have to admit, living in an area that does not have a major league baseball team has caused my love for baseball to wane. Yes we have the Durham Bulls, but it's not the same - even though it is much cheaper.

These days, I feel like the only baseball related thing I'm living for is July 29th, HOF induction day.

It pains me to say I have become a fair weather fan. If the O's were playing well I would be following things much closer.

Like many of you who have already noted I'd like to see Angelos out of the front office too. He has no idea how to run a ball club. Isn't MLB giving him money because he feared the Washington Senators would infringe on the O's fan base? The reason the O's aren't pulling in more fans has nothing to do with the Senators and everything to do with how they are playing. In fact Camden Yards has become Fenway Park South. My parents told me there were more Sox fans in Oriole Park than O's fans in the last series.

I wish we could bring back Edward Bennett Williams, Earl Weaver (oh how I miss his tirades with the umpires), and the rest of the crew from the 80's.

OMG, I'm living in the past! Those days certainly do seem better for O's fans.

Way past...

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Isn't MLB giving him money because he feared the Washington Senators would infringe on the O's fan base? The reason the O's aren't pulling in more fans has nothing to do with the Senators and everything to do with how they are playing.

OMG, I'm living in the past! Those days certainly do seem better for O's fans.
    You clearly haven't been following baseball these days, Tilly! The Senators moved out of Washington for the last time in 1972. The Nationals play there now.

Senior moment

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    You clearly haven't been following baseball these days, Tilly! The Senators moved out of Washington for the last time in 1972. The Nationals play there now.
    That's right! Forgot what their current name is. Thanks for the reminder.

O's Fans

The fans have REALLY turned on the organization - I suppose because of Angelos and the decade-long run of suck-buttock baseball.

But Baltimore used to boast one of the greatest fan bases in the game. One of the best examples is when the O's started of 0-21 back in 1988. At some point during that stretch, once the winless start started making big headlines, the team came back to Memorial Stadium from a road trip. With a winless team, Baltimore fans packed the stadium. I think there were 55,000+ on-hand to cheer on their hapless team. It was actually a great moment in Orioles history and the next season (the "Why Not?" season) they nearly won the division.

Now though, complete apathy has set in.

-Earl "Weaver" Jam