Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Place To Vent For All Giant Fans

Can you believe what happened today? This is probably equal to or worse than the Picarcek fumble.

How does a punter punt a line drive kick with 14 seconds left to a team with no time outs, or not punt it out of bounds?

I thought that Eli played very well today. That said, Ware gave them decent field position and Eli goes 3 and out , albeit he was sacked on the last play.

I do give credit to Reid for the onside kick.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Can you believe what happened today? This is probably equal to or worse than the Picarcek fumble.

How does a punter punt a line drive kick with 14 seconds left to a team with no time outs, or not punt it out of bounds?

I thought that Eli played very well today. That said, Ware gave them decent field position and Eli goes 3 and out , albeit he was sacked on the last play.

I do give credit to Reid for the onside kick.
    One of the worst regular season losses in any sport that I can remember. I imagine this is what it was like witnessing the 8 points in 17 seconds game.

A lot of the blame to me goes to the defensive strategy in the 4th quarter, especially the last Eagles drive. The defense was gassed, and we were still blitzing on big plays (like the 3rd and 10 from the Eagles 10) - giving Vick the opportunity to make those huge runs.

Really, I'm still trying to think of a worse regular season loss than this. You go from likely being the #2 seed in the playoffs with a bye and a home game, to likely being a 5 or 6 seed, or possibly not even making the playoffs, in the span of a 7 minute meltdown.

Sure you can put a lot of blame on Dodge, but OT is still a 50-50 proposition. It's not like they were up 5 before that.

Here's a question. If you had two friends who were die hard Giants fans and you knew they had DVR'ed the game, would you tell them not to watch it to save them the suffering?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Here's a question. If you had two friends who were die hard Giants fans and you knew they had DVR'ed the game, would you tell them not to watch it to save them the suffering?
    Absolutely, 1000%. That was one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Absolutely, 1000%. That was one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen in sports.
    Agreed. I would warn a Giants fan from watching this unless I hated them.

As an Eagles fan, I would tell a Giants fan something like this:
    "Man, the Eagles looked terrible. The receivers were putting the ball on the ground. They couldn't get any pressure on Eli. Vick was getting pressured like he did in the first game. The Eagles were down 31-10 through three quarters. You'll definitely enjoy those three quarters."
    I'd leave it at that.

I'm so mad I checked to see who owns firetomcoughlin.com - It's registered to godaddy.com

Edit: Still considering getting fire-tom-coughlin.com or firetomcoughlin.net

Why the shock?

If you've followed that Giants all year long you've seen this in a number of the earlier games where we had huge leads, but weren't able to score the knockout blow. This time we did it against a supremely talented team and it came back to bite us.

You Gotta

[QUOTE=mr. synellinden;458088

Here's a question. If you had two friends who were die hard Giants fans and you knew they had DVR'ed the game, would you tell them not to watch it to save them the suffering?[/QUOTE]

That is why the dvr'ed it.

I am an Eagles fan and LOVED it.

SoCal

Can this Eagle vent here because I missed it while driving the family from Mass. down to NJ? I did distinctly hear a big sucking sound from the direction of the swamps as I drove by them...
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 12-19-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    If you've followed that Giants all year long you've seen this in a number of the earlier games where we had huge leads, but weren't able to score the knockout blow. This time we did it against a supremely talented team and it came back to bite us.
    I agree, it wasn't that much of a surprise. It was more of the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back... and I honestly do feel that Coughlin has lost control (and respect) of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I agree, it wasn't that much of a surprise. It was more of the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back... and I honestly do feel that Coughlin has lost control (and respect) of this team.
    Do people really want the Giants to fire Coughlin? I realize the last 8 minutes or so was an epic collapse but for the 1st 52 minutes of that game the Giants absolutely dominated what most people consider one of the best teams in the NFL. If not for an onside kick that the Giants were woefully unprepared for, they almost definitely win that game. The Giants are still in very good shape to make the playoffs (a win next week almost locks it up, and a loss leaves a lot of scenarios for them to still make it in). I don't think Coughlin is going anywhere and I don't think he should be going anywhere.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Can this Eagle vent here because I missed it while driving the family from Mass. down to NJ? I did distinctly hear a big sucking sound from the direction of the swamps as I drove by them...
    You can arrange to watch the game with mr. synellinden's friends, the Giants fans who missed the game. If you do, make them watch the entire game.

One point about the punter. I forget exactly where he was punting from but since Jackson ran for 65 yards he must have been kinda deep. A shank would have set up a field go. So he had to catch a high snap and get off a decent kick out of bounds. Probably expected of a pro but not super easy.

SoCal

One More Thing

NFL Network is showing the game on Tuesday at 8 pm and 1 am Eastern time on Tuesday.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    One point about the punter. I forget exactly where he was punting from but since Jackson ran for 65 yards he must have been kinda deep. A shank would have set up a field go. So he had to catch a high snap and get off a decent kick out of bounds. Probably expected of a pro but not super easy.

SoCal
    He was kicking from the Giants 29 (the kick return went to the 35 and Eli lost 6 on the sack, which was actually a really smart move by Eli since it allowed the Giants to run the clock from 45 down to 15). Dodge basically needed a 20 yard net punt. He basically did the worst thing he could have done with the punt. Kick it on a line right to Jackson. If he had done any of the following:
    - kick it out of bounds
    - kick it really high
    - kick it short

Then he would have been fine.

As a Jets fan...

Two things:

1. At least one New York AREA team beat a PA team, and...

2. No dogs were slaughtered. (How can anyone root for {Vick}? Even someone from Philly?)
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-20-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: removed profanity

Put me down as one of the fans who doesn't believe Coughlin will be going anywhere.

Great players make great plays and from the little I got to see of this game Vick and Jackson both made the plays when it counted. On the one long run by Vick he dodged several would be tacklers and I'm wondering how he managed to do it and Jackson's punt return was much the same way, with several Giants having a shot at him but coming up empty.

I will give my thoughts as a Giants fan. It was a very ugly ending. But I do like to look at the fact that we were dominating. I also think that the unexpected onsides kick is what really cost us the game. For the players mindset, I think they know they can beat the Eagles which will bode well if they were to meet in the playoffs.

Another observation I made was on the Giants next to last drive. The Eagles had used there last TO on 2nd Down. It was 3rd and 7 or so. They threw an incomplete pass and stopped the clock before the punt. I know a lot of times coaches are criticized for calling a run play in a 3rd and long because they say the team is playing not to lose. This is a perfect example though of why it is a good idea to run the ball. Even if he had been stopped for no gain at the line of scrimmage, the clock would have run. The Eagles were out of TOs. They ended up punting the ball back to us for another 3 and out, but had 30 more seconds been run off the clock on the previous possesion, then they most likely don't punt the ball back to us and go for it on 4th down. It was a 4th and long, but even if they had converted, they had to go down the field with no TOs.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I will give my thoughts as a Giants fan. It was a very ugly ending. But I do like to look at the fact that we were dominating. I also think that the unexpected onsides kick is what really cost us the game. For the players mindset, I think they know they can beat the Eagles which will bode well if they were to meet in the playoffs.

Another observation I made was on the Giants next to last drive. The Eagles had used there last TO on 2nd Down. It was 3rd and 7 or so. They threw an incomplete pass and stopped the clock before the punt. I know a lot of times coaches are criticized for calling a run play in a 3rd and long because they say the team is playing not to lose. This is a perfect example though of why it is a good idea to run the ball. Even if he had been stopped for no gain at the line of scrimmage, the clock would have run. The Eagles were out of TOs. They ended up punting the ball back to us for another 3 and out, but had 30 more seconds been run off the clock on the previous possesion, then they most likely don't punt the ball back to us and go for it on 4th down. It was a 4th and long, but even if they had converted, they had to go down the field with no TOs.
    People who complain that so-called stall ball or prevent D "prevent wins" because you're giving up the initiative or whatever, should watch this game, and see some of the astute comments here. (emphasized above, and below)

A lot of the blame to me goes to the defensive strategy in the 4th quarter, especially the last Eagles drive. The defense was gassed, and we were still blitzing on big plays (like the 3rd and 10 from the Eagles 10) - giving Vick the opportunity to make those huge runs.

There is a difference

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    People who complain that so-called stall ball or prevent D "prevent wins" because you're giving up the initiative or whatever, should watch this game, and see some of the astute comments here. (emphasized above, and below)
    between running out the clock and playing a prevent D which means letting your opponent march down the field with short passes. There is also a time and a place for everything.

As an Eagles fan I loved it every time the Giants tried to pass late in the game. I think that the Giants should have run the ball run out the clock. That is a positive action, they are running out the clock to win. Prevent D is a negative action, give up a short pass so as to avoid the bomb.

Prevent D and Stall Ball have their place, but use them too early and they can cost you the game.

SoCal

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    NFL Network is showing the game on Tuesday at 8 pm and 1 am Eastern time on Tuesday.

SoCal
    Happy to see this since I had to get on a plane Sunday afternoon during the third quarter and missed the big comeback. Now I did fly to Greensboro and was able to rib my UNC cousins about the Texas game and UNC things in general, so I had that going for me, which was nice.