Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fantasy Football Playoff Comments / Advice

First - congrats (I assume) to JE, who won last night, even though Hakeem Nicks must have had him sweating. Survive and Advance.

As for me, I have only one team that made the playoffs, out of 3 (my best team had Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Jamal Charles, Frank Gore and Matt Ryan...and finished 6-7 despite the 2nd most points in the league. GRRRRRR).

So my playoff team has as its QB...yep...Aaron Rodgers. He's now questionable with a concussion, and even if he plays, he plays Sunday night at NE, which is a brutal matchup.

I need advice on what backup to get. My choices are

1) Alex Smith. Terrifying. Had huge game last week, but plays at San Diego. And it's a Thursday game, so I would have to start him not knowing if Rodgers is playing.

2) David Jerrard - at Indy. Guy has been Jeckle and Hyde all year. Terrifying thinking of him on the road against a team that must win.

3) Jason Campbell - home to Denver. Again, up and down year. Could give me 20. Could give me 5.

4) Ryan Fitzpatrick - at Miami. Has upside. Weather will be good. Miami's D is decent, though.

5) Donovan McNabb - at Dallas. Could be high scoring?

6) Matt Hasselbeck - home to Atlanta. Probably has the highest ceiling.

7) Jay Cutler - at Minnesota. Probably the weakest opponent.

8) Kerry Collins - home to Houston. Worst passing D in the land...but do I really want to pin my playoff hopes on...Kerry Collins?

I don't think I can go with Rodgers...any advice on who to pick up?

I had Rodgers in 2 leagues, 1 of which I made the playoffs in (after the worst draft in history, I picked up the following free agents: Peyton Hillis, Brandon Lloyd, Michael Vick).

I wouldn't call the matchup against New England a "nightmare" for Rodgers at all. The Patriots have given up the 2nd most passing yards in the NFL and with their offense kicking... GB would certainly get a lot of chances at the very least. If Rodgers plays you have to start him...

I have Eli Manning as a backup so that's probably my best bet... of your options I would probably go w/ Garrard against the Colts. Barring that maybe Collins?

Sucks for you. You obviously wait to see if Rodgers can play. If he does, it is a no-brainer.

If not, no way would I consider Kerry Collins. The Titans offense has been horrid recently. I think Garrard could be a good pick. No way you can pick Hasselbeck against Atlanta. The Falcons offense eats up so much clock the opposing QBs don't get a lot of possessions. McNabb has put up decent yardage numbers the past few weeks, so he is a possibility too. Whew, nothing good there. Is Kitna available in your league?

I did win. It was a real sweat early as Hicks had 7 points at halftime and I thought Minny might score a TD or two and take away many of the points I was getting from the Giants D, but the D was strong and the Giants just kept rushing the ball so I ended up winning by 11.

I am alive in both of my leagues -- I had a bye in one and won my game in the other. My team with a bye lost Tampa RB Blount, who had been in my flex spot, but I might stick a WR in that slot now as I have Hicks, Macklin, and TO on my team.

--Jason "good luck to everyone still alive... it is gravy at this point" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Out of those options, I would probably go with Jason Campbell. Denver's defense is horrible, and the Broncos are in a downward spiral, so he should be able to put up some decent numbers. I would think that Denver would put 8 men in the box to try and contain McFadden, so it should free up some passing lanes for Murphy and Ford, who are starting to look pretty good out there, and Zach Miller who is finally getting healthy. Plus the Raiders are playing at home, which always helps. Keep in mind, the last time the Titans played Houston they got shut out, and while Dallas' defense looked very bad in the beginning of the year, they have turned things around since Garrett took over as head coach.

I have a different dilemma, do I start Vick at the Giants (how can you not start Vick, although the Giants are very tough on D) or Freeman against the Lions. My gut tells me Freeman is going to go off, but all of the yahoo experts have Vick rated higher. I'm probably going to go with Vick, because sometimes my gut is a big fat liar.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I have a different dilemma, do I start Vick at the Giants (how can you not start Vick, although the Giants are very tough on D) or Freeman against the Lions. My gut tells me Freeman is going to go off, but all of the yahoo experts have Vick rated higher. I'm probably going to go with Vick, because sometimes my gut is a big fat liar.
    Under no circumstances can you bench Vick... none. I don't care what D he is playing. The man is a fantasy machine! His point totals since coming back from injury -- 26, 49, 20, 24, 29, 24. Josh Freeman hasn't had a 20-point week all year!

-Jason "If Freeman puts up more than Vick, it won't be by more than a couple points-- but Vick is capable of putting up 15-20 more points than Freeman" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post

There's a friend that if I'm talking to on the phone and either of us says something crazy, the other will tap the phone on the desk. Thump, thump, thump. Like saying, "Uh hello? Are you insane?" Well, I'm giving you a virtual tapping of the phone here. You start Vick. End of story. The guy has dominated. He's a superstar. He's capable of putting up 35 fantasy points against anyone. Yes, Freeman has a good matchup...but you start Vick here.

Here’s how I rank the QB choices, listing them from worst to first:

Matt Hasselback: The Falcons are flying and the Seahawk WR’s are all dinged up.

Alex Smith: One decent game against a horrid Seahawk D shouldn’t make you loose your mind and start him against one of the top D’s in the NFL.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: The Miami D isn’t shabby and suddenly Steve Johnson can’t even catch a cold, let alone a football.

Jason Campbell: They’re playing Denver and they should be able to steamroll the Broncos with there ground game, which won’t leave many throws for Campbell.

Donavan McNabb: Doesn’t matter what the records are for either team in this rivalry game. Torain looked very good in his first game back, that should keep the Cowboys honest and let McNabb take some shots to Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong.

Jay Cutler: Yes, he looked pretty bad on Sunday, but I like his chances against the Vikes, especially if the game is in a domed stadium.

Kerry Collins: Houston’s pass D is terrible. Britt looked healthy and Kerry still has the arm to stretch the field. Pick your poison, CJ or KB? I believe the Texans will look to stop CJ first.

David Garrard: In what amounts to a playoff game the Colt will do everything in their power to take MJD out of the game. This should give Garrard plenty of opportunities to throw to Lewis, MSW, and M. Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Here’s how I rank the QB choices, listing them from worst to first:

Matt Hasselback: The Falcons are flying and the Seahawk WR’s are all dinged up.

Alex Smith: One decent game against a horrid Seahawk D shouldn’t make you loose your mind and start him against one of the top D’s in the NFL.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: The Miami D isn’t shabby and suddenly Steve Johnson can’t even catch a cold, let alone a football.

Jason Campbell: They’re playing Denver and they should be able to steamroll the Broncos with there ground game, which won’t leave many throws for Campbell.

Donavan McNabb: Doesn’t matter what the records are for either team in this rivalry game. Torain looked very good in his first game back, that should keep the Cowboys honest and let McNabb take some shots to Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong.

Jay Cutler: Yes, he looked pretty bad on Sunday, but I like his chances against the Vikes, especially if the game is in a domed stadium.

Kerry Collins: Houston’s pass D is terrible. Britt looked healthy and Kerry still has the arm to stretch the field. Pick your poison, CJ or KB? I believe the Texans will look to stop CJ first.

David Garrard: In what amounts to a playoff game the Colt will do everything in their power to take MJD out of the game. This should give Garrard plenty of opportunities to throw to Lewis, MSW, and M. Thomas.
    This all looks reasonable to me... supposedly the Bears-Vikings is going to be outdoors in Minnesota so I would drop Cutler down a bit. Really you should just grab Garrard as quickly as possible and forget about the rest of them .

Ok folks---

Green-Ellis or Felix Jones. My main Fantasy team's roster has one stud RB (MJD) and then a bunch of "which one do I start this week?" kinda guys. I've been mostly using Jones for the past few weeks, but I've missed out on a good Green-Ellis game or two in the process. I also have Ryan Torain and the now not-injured Pierre Thomas (dropped Mike Goodson to pick him up). Advice?

By the way, my WRs are Megatron, Mike Wallace (Pitt), and Macklin. No way I should bench any of them for Santana Moss or Sidney Rice, should I? If I knew Favre was back and the game was indoors, I might consider Rice for Macklin.

--Jason "Brady, Vernon Davis, Matt Bryant, and the Giants D round out my team... I am in the semi-finals and have the most points of any team in the league!!" Evans

I would start Ryan Torain, without a doubt. He's a beast when healthy, and it looks like he is good to go after gaining 172 yards against Tampa's defense last week. The law firm has been playing well, but Green Bay has a tough run defense, and I imagine Brady is going to be passing a lot. I just don't trust any of the Cowboy's running backs, especially since Jones will probably be splitting carries with Tashard Choice. I wouldn't start Rice since they are playing outdoors and some guy named Joe Webb is going to be starting at QB. Your other WR's don't have the most favorable matchups though. I might go with Moss instead of Wallace, but really that's a toss up.

I guess the question you have to answer is, “What do you want from your RB?” Are you looking for a big game or will you settle for the sure thing like say 10 points?

I’ll rate them from worst to first, like I did with the QB’s:

Pierre Thomas: Hasn’t played in a long, long time so do you trust him right out of the gate? The Saints have way too many weapons and Mr. Thomas has to show me he’s really healthy before I trust my playoff team to him.

BJGE: He’s done well recently, but you have to remember who he’s going up against. The Packer D has been very good this year and you don’t want to confuse the problems they may face on offense with what they’ve been able to do on the defensive side of the ball.

Ryan Torain: Had a monster game last week and the Dallas D, doesn’t really send shivers down my spine, but do you trust Mike Shannahan? He’s notorious for flip flopping his running backs. So it’s it Torain, Williams, or Davis this week.

Felix Jones: Definitely Felix is the safest play. He’s the Cowboy’s number #1 back and he’s also an every down back.

Your WR’s are a mixed bag. The same question I asked you to answer about the RB’s is the same for the WR’s. Again from worst to first:

Sidney Rice: He didn’t play poorly on Monday, but there are way too many questions about the Viking offense. Who’s the QB? Is AP healthy? What’s up with Harvin? Factor in that they are playing what should be an angry Bear team and I’ll pass.

Mike Wallace: Welcome to Reevis Island.

Jeremy Macklin: The Giants are my team, but I’d be foolish to believe they are capable of shutting down the Iggles. JM will do well and with Vick throwing he could have a monster game.

Calvin Johnson: Last week wasn’t a great game for Megatron, but it was against the Packers so let’s cut him some slack. This week he gets the Bucs in sunny Florida and their D is really beat up, with their top CB’s out.

Santana Moss: Redskins vs Cowboys, for some reason Moss loves playing in this game. McNabb has still got an arm and if the Redskin ground game is anywhere near as effective as it was last week then Moss should be able to find lots of open space.

I picked Pierre Garcon up off waivers this week (my QB is Peyton Manning) and I'm going to start him instead of Chad Ochocinco. Ochocinco is nicked up with minor injuries. I'm also going with Mike Williams who hasn't played in two weeks but will play for Seattle today against Atlanta. With the current state of Seattle's receivers, Hasselback should be looking to get the ball to Williams early and often.
    Bob Green

A big thank you to Jason Evans and Udaman for advising me stay with Vick. It was a little scary there, but wow did Vick come up huge in the fourth quarter!

Another season of Fantasy Football has come and gone. No championships for me this year as all 3 of my teams crashed and burned yesterday. My ESPN team wasn't able to overcome my boneheaded benching of Brady last weekend and this weekend he was just average. I had some nice scores this week on that ESPN team, but my opponent matched me and then some.
    One of my AOL teams got smoked plain and simple and the other, which was my Vick team got an awful perfomance from Arian Foster and some meddling from myself when I went with Goodson over Mendenhall.

When does baseball season start?

Bummer. I am out in one of my leagues, the one where I have Brady. He picked a bad week to have an ordinary game. I lost 93.52-90.78... 3 points. 3 freaking points!! So frustrating.

In my other league I have Vick and he put up 41 points for me. I didn't even really need it as I got a 126 - 78 victory. On to the finals in that league!

-Jason "my Vick team is gonna win the league title next week... that team is unstoppable" Evans

well...I lead the league in total points by a significant margin all year. I had Romo/Fitzpatrick at QB, Foster/Peterson as my primary RBS, C. Johnson/H. Ward/B. Marshall/M. Williams (Sea) as my flock of WRs, and Antonio Gates as my TE.

Well, my team crashed and burned yesterday in the first round ofthe playoffs. Unless Peterson comes up with a 35 point outing in the blizzard I'm gonna be sent packing. Very frustrating.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Bummer. I am out in one of my leagues, the one where I have Brady. He picked a bad week to have an ordinary game. I lost 93.52-90.78... 3 points. 3 freaking points!! So frustrating.
    You think that's frustrating? I can top it, unfortunately. I finished tied for the final playoff spot in my league, and the team tied with me and I split our two meetings. The next (and last, as it turns out; we never thought we'd need to go further) tiebreaker is total points on the season. He beat me by 1 point. Over 13 weeks and approximately 1,500 points scored for each of us, he bested me by .067%. That's one dumb fumble that shouldn't have happened, one decent spot for an extra half a yard from a guy with 79 yards receiving on the day, one less goal line carry for a guy who gets stuffed for a one yard loss and drops from 50 yards to 49, one less drop from Steve Johnson that he blames on a higher power.

And the kicker? Had I taken his spot in the playoffs, I would be wiping the floor right now, as my lineup outscored every other playoff team the last two weeks.

The point? There is none, I just wanted to complain!

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    well...I lead the league in total points by a significant margin all year. I had Romo/Fitzpatrick at QB, Foster/Peterson as my primary RBS, C. Johnson/H. Ward/B. Marshall/M. Williams (Sea) as my flock of WRs, and Antonio Gates as my TE.

Well, my team crashed and burned yesterday in the first round ofthe playoffs. Unless Peterson comes up with a 35 point outing in the blizzard I'm gonna be sent packing. Very frustrating.
    Looks like you and I can arrange a tee time as SI is listing Peterson as inactive and they've got Brett getting the start at QB.

Finals this weekend... $100 on the line. Would I be absolutely crazy to start Tim Tebow? Current QBs on my roster... Eli Manning and Aaron Rodgers. I don't expect a very high scoring game there (Packers and Giants play). Meanwhile Tebow is up against the worst fantasy football defense against QBs (Texans). The other options aren't really too appealing... Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, etc.

If you are still alive, the thing to do is to pick up Joe Webb. I dunno about ESPN, but in Yahoo leagues, Webb is listed as a WR/QB, meaning that you can start him at your WR or Flex and yet he will quire points like a starting QB. I don't think he will be a great QB, but even a bad QB is generally gonna be good for 12+ points, which is a very good day from all but the elite WRs.

-Jason "not sure how many people have realized this or if it is widespread on message boards-- get a waiver claim on Webb in ASAP" Evans