Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This event looks like fun...but you guys should have been around for the old Dixie Classic in the 1950's. Now THAT was some GREAT BASKETBALL

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They should have named it the CHAMPION's classic...featuring MSU, KU, and UK
    Maybe they wouldn't have to change the name any of the three years.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I just came on to post this. Awesome!

I guess this is the only way that we could get games with Kansas and UK since they aren't willing to do a home and home, not wanting to play in Cameron and what not.

I did not know that. I've seen posts on Cats Pause claiming that Duke and UK don't play regular seaon games anymore b/c Coach K won't agree to play them away from Cameron. Not that I expect anything resembling reason on a UK board but did UK and KU actuallly turn down a home and home?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

UCLA and unc are the other programs that should have been considered.
    That is so open-minded and gentlemanly of you BD80! Seriously, I think you are a shoe-in for Miss Congeniality!
    I'll just take the winner's crown if you don't mind...

I found Self's comment in the ESPN article interesting: "You schedule what's best for your program and there are a lot of reasons -- recruiting, exposure and money. Sometimes you can't play too many road games due to money. It's hard to go home-and-home with Duke."

For an elite program, is it really a financial loss to play a road game vs. a neutral court game put together by ESPN? If that's true, it makes even more sense for Duke to play on neutral courts rather than home-and-away.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I did not know that. I've seen posts on Cats Pause claiming that Duke and UK don't play regular seaon games anymore b/c Coach K won't agree to play them away from Cameron. Not that I expect anything resembling reason on a UK board but did UK and KU actuallly turn down a home and home?
    In a word, no.

I don't know whether Kansas will ever get a home and home set up with Duke (heck, I'm not sure KU will ever make the return trip in football). It should happen to reward fans, but like a football playoff, what should happen for the benefit of fans often gets shunted to the side for program needs and money.

That said, one of the only interesting things I've ever heard on Self's radio show came out last night. He was asked if there was a place he'd like to visit and play and he said Durham and Cameron; that he'd never been and would like to.

unc

While it's fun to see UNC excluded from this elite event, it's not as cut-and-dried as it seemed.

I'm told that they were involved in the original discussion, but their inclusion presented TWO problems. Not only they didn't want to play Duke one of the three years, but Roy also refused to play Kansas (remember, he LOVES Kansas).

So the organizers were left with the choice or UNC or Kansas AND Duke. It was easier to leave them out.

The intreresting thing will be to see what happens in Year Four of this event (or years 4-6). If the event is a success (and you know it will be) will they tweak the lineup or will they change it completely? There are plenty of historic programs waiting in the wings -- UNC is definitely one, but UCLA, Louisiville, Syracuse ... maybe Indiana will be back on track and deserve inclusion.

Just keep in mind that the idea is to have a signature event that will capture the public's attention to kickoff the season. That means they aren't necessarily looking for the best four teams in any year, but -- to the public -- the four most significant programs. That's why Michigan State is included, even though they aren't one of the four greatest programs all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    In a word, no.

I don't know whether Kansas will ever get a home and home set up with Duke (heck, I'm not sure KU will ever make the return trip in football). It should happen to reward fans, but like a football playoff, what should happen for the benefit of fans often gets shunted to the side for program needs and money.

That said, one of the only interesting things I've ever heard on Self's radio show came out last night. He was asked if there was a place he'd like to visit and play and he said Durham and Cameron; that he'd never been and would like to.

I thought the 1988-1989 home and home between Duke and Kansas was fantastic (at least it was for Duke fans).

It's nuts that we don't get to see a real series between the schools with 2 of the 3 best venues in baskebtall (along with the Palestra), just so Duke can have an extra home game with Elon and Kansas gets an extra home game with Alcorn St.

I've got to believe that the tv money the schools would get for the "road" game in that series, and the higher tv fee they'd get for the home game (as compared to the little they'd earn for dinky home games), plus the savings from not having to pay out a "guarantee" fee to the sacrificial lamb, would make the money sufficiently close that it wouldn't be a big $$ loser for the schools to do that kind of home and home series.

It would be great for the fans. And, surely, neither school needs to worry that potentially losing the game would make any meaningful difference in not getting a tournament bid.

Reviving this old thread to take a long term look at the Champions Classic so far. As many expected a decade ago, this event has been a rousing success as the kickoff event of the season. After 11 seasons the current standings are:

Duke (7-4)
    Kansas (6-5)
    Kentucky (5-6)
    Mich. St. (4-7)

Breaking it down further, Duke is 3-1 against Kentucky, 3-1 against Michigan St, but just 1-2 against Kansas. Let's hope Duke can top the Jayhawks next year in Indianapolis and keep that top spot overall. Interestingly, if Duke beats Kansas next year, Kansas will be 2-2 against every other team.

Oh, and the event has been renewed for three more years through 2025, giving Jon Scheyer a chance to prove his mettle against the top programs in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Reviving this old thread to take a long term look at the Champions Classic so far. As many expected a decade ago, this event has been a rousing success as the kickoff event of the season. After 11 seasons the current standings are:

Duke (7-4)
    Kansas (6-5)
    Kentucky (5-6)
    Mich. St. (4-7)

Breaking it down further, Duke is 3-1 against Kentucky, 3-1 against Michigan St, but just 1-2 against Kansas. Let's hope Duke can top the Jayhawks next year in Indianapolis and keep that top spot overall. Interestingly, if Duke beats Kansas next year, Kansas will be 2-2 against every other team.

Oh, and the event has been renewed for three more years through 2025, giving Jon Scheyer a chance to prove his mettle against the top programs in the game.
    if only we were equally successful against said teams in, say, the elite 8
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    if only we were equally successful against said teams in, say, the elite 8
    Tournament results against Champions Classic teams since the start of the event:

2013: Duke defeats Mich. St. 71-61 in the Sweet 16
    2015: Duke defeats Mich. St. 81-61 in the Final Four
    2018: Duke loses to Kansas 85-81 in the Elite Eight
    2019: Duke loses to Mich. St. 68-67 in the Elite Eight

So our bugaboo is either the Elite Eight, or letting our opponent score anything other than exactly 61 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Tournament results against Champions Classic teams since the start of the event:

2013: Duke defeats Mich. St. 71-61 in the Sweet 16
    2015: Duke defeats Mich. St. 81-61 in the Final Four
    2018: Duke loses to Kansas 85-81 in the Elite Eight
    2019: Duke loses to Mich. St. 68-67 in the Elite Eight

So our bugaboo is either the Elite Eight, or letting our opponent score anything other than exactly 61 points.
    And both those losses hurt bad...Man, that Grayson shot at the buzzer SHOULD have gone in TWICE and IT WAS A CHARGE!!! I'm still bitter...The loss to MSU also hurt given the talent on our team but it was a back-and-forth affair that really was a coin flip at the end, so actually bothers me less for some reason (although would have loved a natty with Zion of course).