Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Too Many TO's, Too Young

A win is a win, but... C'mon. Duke's performance would not get it done against a highly ranked and talented team. I'm all for up tempo, but not with the careless play showcased yesterday. Where is the defensive tone? Marquette is a midling Big East team at best.

It was like a slideshow of bad memories from early NCAA exits. Large lead evaporated. Big men not-named-Mason unable to finish around basket, and 3pt shooting goes cold during cruciual part of game. Get it together, fellas!

70% of our players are underclassmen.

Our freshman point guard just played his 4th game and his 1st away from home.

The team played its fourth game with a new offensive scheme that will lead to turnovers.

Give it some time.

Getting better

Quote Originally Posted by kybluedevil View Post
    A win is a win, but... C'mon. Duke's performance would not get it done against a highly ranked and talented team. I'm all for up tempo, but not with the careless play showcased yesterday. Where is the defensive tone? Marquette is a midling Big East team at best.

It was like a slideshow of bad memories from early NCAA exits. Large lead evaporated. Big men not-named-Mason unable to finish around basket, and 3pt shooting goes cold during cruciual part of game. Get it together, fellas!
    How quickly we forget that last year’s team didn’t start the season as the best team in the country. This team will get better. Free throws, turnovers, and defensive rotations all need help. The good news is that Duke didn’t fold when Marquette made a run at them.
    Tonight will be another opportunity to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    70% of our players are underclassmen.

Our freshman point guard just played his 4th game and his 1st away from home.

The team played its fourth game with a new offensive scheme that will lead to turnovers.

Give it some time.
    This right here. And Nolan and Kyle played unlike themselves. They usually are a little more careful with the ball. I think they were just used to going for 100 pts that they thought they could do it easily against Marquette and tryed to force it too much. They should settle down more tonight.

Also Marquette is preety dang good as well. All my college basketball magazines this year have them rated anywhere from 30th to 45th and they recieved some votes to be placed in the top 25. So they arn't to be taken lightly. Michigan State should have more to be worried about than us based on their performance and K-State had about the same kind of problems we did last night. Although they hit an unusual amount of threes for them I believe.

Good grief! I agree with Airowe, we have to give this team some time to develop. They are definitely talented and probably the best team on paper in the country but it's a long season and players are trying to figure out their roles. They are young, the season is young.

Sit back, relax and watch them develop. That's part of the fun!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I'm counting 3 posts from you, all negative and critical of Duke. You sure you're a Duke fan?? There's nothing in their start that you find positive or enjoyable?? Really??

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    I'm counting 3 posts from you, all negative and critical of Duke. You sure you're a Duke fan?? There's nothing in their start that you find positive or enjoyable?? Really??
    Is this Kong's half-brother???? Lol you are right though 3 posts: Duke is too perimeter oriented, Christian Laettner has caused all bad stereotypes, and now this.

It's November. At the start of the season K specifically addressed the inevitable thoughts such as yours. This team is a team in progress and you absolutely cannot expect perfection. K's quote was, "if you expect perfection, you are going to be disappointed".

This game was terrific from the standpoint of when the game was tied in the 2nd, this Duke team had the fortitude to turn it on and make a push. For that we should be very excited.

Also, did you happen to notice that Mich St. struggled vs. Chaminade - a team not even rated in pomeroy? Again, it is November, everyone is trying to gel right now.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Next thread to be: too much talent to keep everyone happy with minutes?

I seem to recall Bobby Hurley being a turnover machine early in his career and he wasn't nearly the penetrator that Kyrie is. But then again, perhaps my memory is not what it used to be. I realize the two have distinctly different games but I believe Kyrie is light-years ahead of where Bobby was at this point. I expect him to improve rather quickly as he adjusts to the speed, quickness, and talent of the college game.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mason is playing too many minutes

Im betting on the "Singler has lost his shooting touch" thread *sighs and shakes head* some people...

Seriously. Stop feeding the troll, guys. We just beat a pretty talented and obviously well-coached team by what should have been double digits if we could just hit a couple free throws, in the first away from home game of the season when the open three's weren't falling. Our point guard is a freshman and it showed for the first time. We gave up a sizeable lead but immediately took it back. And after all that, Michigan State had more trouble with Chaminade than we did with a probable tourney team.

It's November, and it's not 1999. A challenge like this is a good thing for this team.

Do we really need a separate thread for this? Shouldn't this simply be part of the post game thread? Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Seriously. Stop feeding the troll, guys. We just beat a pretty talented and obviously well-coached team by what should have been double digits if we could just hit a couple free throws, in the first away from home game of the season when the open three's weren't falling. Our point guard is a freshman and it showed for the first time. We gave up a sizeable lead but immediately took it back. And after all that, Michigan State had more trouble with Chaminade than we did with a probable tourney team.

It's November, and it's not 1999. A challenge like this is a good thing for this team.
    Yes in reality we will almost never shoot ft's that bad at the end of the game again... Well if it continues to be Curry, Dawkins, Kyrie, Nolan, and Kyle that is. That had to be a fluke. Those front end one and ones last nigth could have given us 88 pts and suddenly we won by double figures (11)

Hang on everyone, please!

While I understand the need to vent...let me toss in that Duke has only played four games so far this whole year. In my opinion, Marquette is vastly UNDERrated! They forced Duke into nineteen turnovers; it's hard to get distance on any opponent when you're turning the ball over that much. Marq did a masterful job on getting into the passing lanes on defense, and also they got a lot of hands up and on the ball.

Despite a great comeback by Marq to force the tie, Duke showed some very early season grit and moxie by clamping down hard on the defensive end and rolling off nine straight points!!

That should show all of us right there what this team, even now, can withstand; it also provides insight into maturity and stability and I do believe that this bodes very well for Duke going forward.

I just have to believe that Marq is truly a lot better than advertised; Duke is as good as advertised and we will learn to play with fewer turnovers and a higher free throw percentage! Let's all choose to hang in with the team and I believe that we'll be rewarded.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Mason is playing too many minutes
    "How far can we go relying on a player whose name means 'brick layer'?"

"How far can we go relying on a player whose name means 'brick layer'?"
    And his backup has the same name!!!

Seth will never be the player Steph is!!! He couldn't even beat his dad one-on-one until he was 17! He averaged 0 ppg last year!

Singler took 4 bad shots last night - he's just playing for the scouts this season!

JWill dunked way more as a freshman than Kyrie does - I'm just not buying his athleticism.

Thonton and Hairston couldn't even get on the court last night. They will never get out of Coach K's dog house. Days until one of them transfers. This is sending a bad message to Rivers, who has to be thinking about de-committing!!!

We have so many guards Wojo is going to have to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    And his backup has the same name!!!

Seth will never be the player Steph is!!! He couldn't even beat his dad one-on-one until he was 17! He averaged 0 ppg last year!

Singler took 4 bad shots last night - he's just playing for the scouts this season!

JWill dunked way more as a freshman than Kyrie does - I'm just not buying his athleticism.

Thornton and Hairston couldn't even get on the court last night. They will never get out of Coach K's dog house. Days until one of them transfers. This is sending a bad message to Rivers, who has to be thinking about de-committing!!!

Actualy he did get in last night but it was very quick. Did anyone else notice this? He was on for a minute or less I think.