Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bulls trade speculation

I hope not but here is the link...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...ck=1&cset=true

I will cheer for whatever team he ends up on though.

If he gets traded, he is going to have to go to a special situation where he can use the same niche he has in Chicago. I am afraid that he may end up on the bench with with more veteran laden teams.

The reason the Bulls would look to deal Duhon is that Chris has an expiring contract. It is much easier to trade a guy who has a contract that will come off the books in a year, freeing up salary cap space as opposed to someone with a long-term deal whose contract can restrict a team for several years. Of the Bulls with expiring contracts in 2008, Duhon's is by far the most attractive (the Bulls are not going to trade Deng or Gordon and neither Malik Allen nor Victor Khryapa make enough or play enough to really be attractive in a trade).

Plus, Ben Gordon came on so strongly last year fopr the Bulls, their need for Duhon in the backcourt is lessened. They still have Thabo Sefolosha as a backup PG too.

As for the notion that he needs to find the right situation-- I disagree. I think Duhon has shown he can be a very solid NBA PG in almost any situation. He has a good shot, plays fabulous defense, and distrubutes the ball well. He may not be a starter for the best teams in the league, but he is, at a minimum, a valuable backup on any team in the league. And there are still plenty of teams that he could start for (HAWKS!!).

-Jason "Chris has several years left on his NBA career... and he is a shoe-in to be a coach somewhere when that is done" Evans

Several Years?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "Chris has several years left on his NBA career... and he is a shoe-in to be a coach somewhere when that is done" Evans
    I bet you were just trying to make a point about Chris coaching, but I hope he has a lot more than a few years left in the league. When he was at Duke, and in his junior and senior years in particular, I often debated whether Chris would succeed in the NBA. I always thought he was a lot like Eric Snow -- a gritty defender who could adequately run a team (a comparison helped a bit by what I see as a physical resemblence).

While Snow's production has tapered recently (not uncommon for an aging PG), the career numbers of the two are quite close...

SNOW -- 27 MPG, 7 PPG, 5 APG, 1.2 SPG, 21% 3PT
    DUHON -- 27 MPG, 7 PPG, 4.6 APG, 1 SPG, 36% 3PT

Of course, Snow has played for 12 years in the league (824 games, nearly 600 more than Chris). He also made $6MM this year (twice what Chris made). here's hoping that Chris can have a lenghty NBA career before ultimately becoming a top-notch coach.

the difference between duhon and snow is that only one of them is a better shooter than me (and i'm not particularly good either).

The reason the Bulls would look to deal Duhon is that Chris has an expiring contract. It is much easier to trade a guy who has a contract that will come off the books in a year, freeing up salary cap space as opposed to someone with a long-term deal whose contract can restrict a team for several years. Of the Bulls with expiring contracts in 2008, Duhon's is by far the most attractive (the Bulls are not going to trade Deng or Gordon and neither Malik Allen nor Victor Khryapa make enough or play enough to really be attractive in a trade).

Plus, Ben Gordon came on so strongly last year fopr the Bulls, their need for Duhon in the backcourt is lessened. They still have Thabo Sefolosha as a backup PG too.

As for the notion that he needs to find the right situation-- I disagree. I think Duhon has shown he can be a very solid NBA PG in almost any situation. He has a good shot, plays fabulous defense, and distrubutes the ball well. He may not be a starter for the best teams in the league, but he is, at a minimum, a valuable backup on any team in the league. And there are still plenty of teams that he could start for (HAWKS!!).

-Jason "Chris has several years left on his NBA career... and he is a shoe-in to be a coach somewhere when that is done" Evans

I hope you are right.

Duhon would be a great Nugget

A pass first point guard who excels at defense and can hit the open jumper... that is why the Nuggets got Steve Blake. I think Duhon is an upgrade across the board.

Duhon definitely has a solid future in the NBA.

and phoenix is supposed to be looking for someone to help back Nash up.
    i think he'd do great there

Quote Originally Posted by unwrinkled ear View Post
    and phoenix is supposed to be looking for someone to help back Nash up.
    i think he'd do great there
    Phoenix has a back-up PG who was also the NBA's 6th man of the year. Are they looking to deal Barbosa? Is he a free agent? Did I miss something?

The Hawks? But who would they give?

Not sure why you think he can coach. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Lots of smart basketball players go on to be coaches. Chris is a smart basketball player. He also has an excellent coaching pipeline from which to draw references/advice/opportunities.

Do you not think he can coach? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Lots of smart basketball players go on to be coaches. Chris is a smart basketball player. He also has an excellent coaching pipeline from which to draw references/advice/opportunities.

Do you not think he can coach? Please explain.
    He's not just smart, but has certainly shown himself to be a leader. Leadership is paramount to coaching.

And he is a former Dukie who played some PG and started as a senior. Lets go back over the list of Duke PGs who started as a senior:

Dockery- not sure what he is up to
    Ewing- in NBA
    Duhon- in NBA
    Wojo- coach
    Capel- coach
    Collins- coach
    Hurley- racing horses, supposedly interested in coaching
    Snyder- former coach
    Amaker- coach
    Dawkins- coach

Hmmm, now what would make me think that maybe Duhon might follow in the footsteps of the 6 guys before him who did the exact same thing?

-Jason "PGs from Duke... the cradle of coaching " Evans

Snyder's coaching again.

He's not just smart, but has certainly shown himself to be a leader. Leadership is paramount to coaching.

And he is a former Dukie who played some PG and started as a senior. Lets go back over the list of Duke PGs who started as a senior:

Dockery- not sure what he is up to
    Ewing- in NBA
    Duhon- in NBA
    Wojo- coach
    Capel- coach
    Collins- coach
    Hurley- racing horses, supposedly interested in coaching
    Snyder- former coach
    Amaker- coach
    Dawkins- coach

Hmmm, now what would make me think that maybe Duhon might follow in the footsteps of the 6 guys before him who did the exact same thing?

-Jason "PGs from Duke... the cradle of coaching " Evans

Not to nit pick but actually, Amaker started at point guard Dakins' senior year. Still you have a good point.

I always felt Duhon had about as big of an impact on a game as anybody could have for usually having a meager looking stat line. He would have like 8 pts., 4 or 5 assists, and a couple of steals, but control the game beautifully. I always thought it was funny how coming out of high school he was touted as a superb shooter and that was/is his biggest struggle. Great point guard and knew how to control a game and win. Will always remember his reverse layup to win the game in Chapel Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Not to nit pick but actually, Amaker started at point guard Dakins' senior year. Still you have a good point.
    Didn't he play PG his whole career?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    During his time at Duke, Duhon would call plays and run strategy for the bench team in games against the starters (and sometimes the coaches) I will see if I can find an article about this, but I know Coach K talked about it at K Academy when I was there.

Exiled

Johnny & Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Didn't he (Amaker) play PG his whole career?
    Yes. Dawkins played the point as a freshman, but once TA arrived the next year, Tommy was the 1 and JD the 2, most of the time. Of course that team is where K's philosophy of no true positions first developed. (But Tommy was the 1 and Johnny was the 2. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

duhon and partying

When your employer is worried about your partying it's time to knock it off. Actually the time is before then. If he can't do it on his own, he should get help.

There are way too many pictures/stories all over the internet of Chris' boozing ways.