Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dilemma

A dilemma

I participate in a year long bb pool. About 15 of us draft 10 teams at the beginning of the season. You get one point for each win - during season and playoffs. At the end of the season, the person with the most points wins.
    My draft position was 12. When it came to me for my first draft pick, the teams already picked were: Duke, MSU, Kansas, Villanova, OSU, Pitt, Gonzaga, KY, Memphis, Butler, Washington. What do you do? I had no choice but to pick UNC.
    My daughter wouldn't talk to me when I told her what I did. "Dad, look at the shirt you're wearing!" (I was wearing my GTHC shirt).
    I admit that I do not pull for UNC, ever. I have a huge case of schaden freude whenever they lose. Last season was a double blast for me.
    But now, I have to pull for them to win, if I want to do well in the pool. I don't know if I can do that.

No choice? How much you want to bet someone like San Diego State ends up with more wins than UNC?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    No choice? How much you want to bet someone like San Diego State ends up with more wins than UNC?
    Very true. At a point per win, San Diego St. and BYU could very well end up generating more points than UNC, and aren't evil.

Jason Whitten. The reason I stopped playing fantasy football. I grew up in DC and hate the Cowboys much much less than I hate Carolina...but still a whole heapin' helpin' of hate. About 3 or 4 years ago, I needed to pick up a tight end, and Whitten was still on the board. I knew it would be a great pick, and the guy produced for me beautifully. But the internal angst of being excited when a Dallas Cowboy had a good game was just too much. I felt like I was being ruined as a fan.

You just shouldn't have picked Carolina. Better to not have divided loyalties. Because, when you get down to it, would you rather win the pool or watch Carolina underperform, watch Ol Roy melt down, watch Harrison Barnes give up on the program like Ed Davis did and just start counting time until the lottery, watch the Carolina fans eat their young? And what if you win the pool because Carolina outperforms expectations, goes 14-2 in the ACC, somehow nudges out Duke for the ACC tournament title, and goes to the final four? Would you even want that fantasy title?

I had a friend once, a State fan, who admitted to cheering for Carolina in the NCAA tournament because he had them going far in his tournament pool.

Like I said...I had a friend...

Just my advice...stay true to your fandom and forget the pool

No pool is worth dropping values!
    If I won what would I do with the blood money?!
    Wake Forest would have been a better pick at least you would have not lost your soul!!!

Wow, did you do the wrong thing. I'd rather lose than have to rely on Carolina. I'm playing in 3 fantasy football leagues. I have ZERO Dallas Cowboys on any of my teams and have had ZERO going back for many years (although I will admit that I almost drafted Jason Witten but I just couldn't do it). Some things are just more important than money and the pride of winning a pool. I'd rather write a check to double the winner's take in an NCAA pool than have the winning pool entry with UNC@CH going all the way.

If the league allows trades, please try to save face and trade away the lowly TarHeels immediately.

I think it's ok as long as you continue to cheer for ABC. You need to compartmentalize your picks league from your fanaticism. And if you happen to win $, give it to charity.

I have occasionally had NFL guys I hate on my team merely to win. I'm a Packers fan and picked up Favre two weeks ago because he's more likely to get me points than Chad Henne, but I still cheered against Favre.

Picking a strong mid-major or smaller conference team likely to win 22-25 games was the way to go, no question about it. I am stunned that the other folks in your pool have not figured this out.

BYU, San Diego St, Utah St, Murray St, Whicita St will all win more games than UNC. I would have taken UNLV and Xavier before Carolina too. It really ain't even close. Heck, I think it is likely that Old Dominion, Wofford, Fairfield, Weber St, Richmond, and Missouri St should all top Carolina's win total.

-Jason "Dude, this was a no brainer!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Wow, did you do the wrong thing. I'd rather lose than have to rely on Carolina. I'm playing in 3 fantasy football leagues. I have ZERO Dallas Cowboys on any of my teams and have had ZERO going back for many years (although I will admit that I almost drafted Jason Witten but I just couldn't do it). Some things are just more important than money and the pride of winning a pool. I'd rather write a check to double the winner's take in an NCAA pool than have the winning pool entry with UNC@CH going all the way.

If the league allows trades, please try to save face and trade away the lowly TarHeels immediately.
    I know that feeling! In my Fantasy Football league, I had the opportunity to draft DeSean Jackson and Vick. I am an AVID dog lover and REFUSE to throw any money or support to the Eagles. Needless to say, I didn't draft either one and this past week I got pounded 156 to 87 b/c my opponent had Vick, Jackson and Akers.

I honestly don't care...I'm sticking to my morals and beliefs. (Quick side note: those are my beliefs - I don't force them on others.)
    I don't know how fantasy ball works for college...can you trade your team?

As long as BP's heart remains true, I actually see this as a proof of his fandom.

As long as BP roots against carolina, is there better proof of his loyalty to Duke, to root against his own monetary interest?

When carolina loses, he can celebrate with his entire heart, and yet on those occasions when carolina wins (and face it, they will probably win a lot this year) he can profit from the wins.

If BP wins, I recommend buying Duke paraphenalia.

BP, nothing personal, but I hope you don't mind that I am rooting for you to get shut out in the pool from here on in.

I'm in a fantasy ACC Basketball league with a bunch of other bloggers on riverside6's site, scacchoops.com. The rules stated that you had to have two centers and Tyler Zeller fell right into my lap. I picked him over Mason and Miles and didn't feel bad about it one bit because I know he'll produce more (as long as he stays healthy).

Here's the thing, you have to hope that UNC does well enough to win you your league, but gets beat down embarrassingly twice during the regular season and once in the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'm in a fantasy ACC Basketball league with a bunch of other bloggers on riverside6's site, scacchoops.com. The rules stated that you had to have two centers and Tyler Zeller fell right into my lap. I picked him over Mason and Miles and didn't feel bad about it one bit because I know he'll produce more (as long as he stays healthy).

Here's the thing, you have to hope that UNC does well enough to win you your league, but gets beat down embarrassingly twice during the regular season and once in the tourney.
    You should hope that Tyler Zeller goes bananas this year and that UNC goes 4-30!

Quote Originally Posted by Frybay View Post
    No pool is worth dropping values! ...
    I agree. Which is why I use my NCAA bracket as a voodoo doll. And why my bracket went kerplooie when Radford failed to get it done against UNC in 2009 ...

Not even blood

I hate Carolina so much that I told my wife (also a Duke Grad) that if our baby daughter grows up to be a special athlete and chooses UNC, I will cheer against her every time she plays Duke.

You made the wrong choice. You should have picked a mid major.

UNC really?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Very true. At a point per win, San Diego St. and BYU could very well end up generating more points than UNC, and aren't evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Picking a strong mid-major or smaller conference team likely to win 22-25 games was the way to go, no question about it. I am stunned that the other folks in your pool have not figured this out.

BYU, San Diego St, Utah St, Murray St, Whicita St will all win more games than UNC. I would have taken UNLV and Xavier before Carolina too. It really ain't even close. Heck, I think it is likely that Old Dominion, Wofford, Fairfield, Weber St, Richmond, and Missouri St should all top Carolina's win total.

-Jason "Dude, this was a no brainer!!" Evans
    Jason and Duvall nailed it! You should have called them before you made the pick!

BYU is going to have a garish record. Kenpom projects they’ll go 24-5 during the regular season. Senior guard, Jackson Emery, thinks they’ll do even better than that! Add a few post season wins and the Cougars will be close to 30.

San Diego State plays a schedule full of cupcakes. Kenpom projects their final record to be 26-5. Their toughest games will be the home-and-home’s against BYU.

For comparison, Kenpom predicts UNC’s record at 21-8.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    I participate in a year long bb pool. About 15 of us draft 10 teams at the beginning of the season. You get one point for each win - during season and playoffs. At the end of the season, the person with the most points wins.
    My draft position was 12. When it came to me for my first draft pick, the teams already picked were: Duke, MSU, Kansas, Villanova, OSU, Pitt, Gonzaga, KY, Memphis, Butler, Washington. What do you do? I had no choice but to pick UNC.
    My daughter wouldn't talk to me when I told her what I did. "Dad, look at the shirt you're wearing!" (I was wearing my GTHC shirt).
    I admit that I do not pull for UNC, ever. I have a huge case of schaden freude whenever they lose. Last season was a double blast for me.
    But now, I have to pull for them to win, if I want to do well in the pool. I don't know if I can do that.
    Nothing personal, but I hope you lose that bracket pool. Miserably. By 25 or 26 games that UNC could have won.

Seriously???? Even if my choices were Winthrop & UNC I still wouldn't pick UNC. Heck I made a guy go outside the other day & turn his Carolina sweatshirt inside out before he was allowed back in. Told him if he comes in wearing it or any other UNC apparel it will be destroyed on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Seriously???? Even if my choices were Winthrop & UNC I still wouldn't pick UNC. Heck I made a guy go outside the other day & turn his Carolina sweatshirt inside out before he was allowed back in. Told him if he comes in wearing it or any other UNC apparel it will be destroyed on the spot.
    Pomeroy expects Winthrop to go 14-12. They ain't that bad.

They play at Kentucky on Dec 22nd. Pom gives them a 2% chance of winning.

In the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas...

--Jason "go Eagles!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I would pay to see Carolina lose. So I don't see the dilemma. Pick 'em, and hope you threw your money away.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    When it came to me for my first draft pick, the teams already picked were: Duke, MSU, Kansas, Villanova, OSU, Pitt, Gonzaga, KY, Memphis, Butler, Washington. What do you do? I had no choice but to pick UNC.
    Pomeroy says UNC will win 21 games.

Completely aside from all the mid-majors we have named that will very likely win more games than Carolina, what about some other traditional powers?

How about Syracuse? They are forecast by Pomeroy to win 24 regular season games.
    Pom says Texas will win 23 games.
    The SEC is typically lousy. Pom expects Florida to win 23 games.
    Arizona is supposed to be second best in the bad Pac 10, Pom says they win 23 games.

Frankly, I would stay away from any Big Ten, Big East, or ACC team (other than a couple who figure to be national title contenders) because those leagues are going to be very tough and it will be hard to put up big win totals. Going 10-6 or 11-5 in the ACC or Big 10 will be a big deal. Doing it in the SEC or Pac 10 will be merely a mark of a team in the top 25 or 30 in the land. Plus, the potential downside with a decent ACC/BigTen/BigE team that struggles is huge. If a club is decent, they will get about .500 in the easier BCS conferences.

-Jason "if you really thought you had to pick UNC, your draft strategy was flawed" Evans