Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.
    I thought i remembered that one of the coaches watched PF Julius Randle a few times this summer.

And IIRC PG Nate Britt is a '13 prospect who visited for CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Can we start a Recruiting 2029 thread in case I have a kid next year? I figure if I hype him up enough, he'll get recruited by all the major programs even though he's a strong Duke lean as a zygote.
    Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    I thought i remembered that one of the coaches watched PF Julius Randle a few times this summer.

And IIRC PG Nate Britt is a '13 prospect who visited for CTC.
    I was referring to 2029 and Shelden's unborn son, who would of course be named after the most influential person in Shelden's life.

I was referring to 2029 and Shelden's unborn son, who would of course be named after the most influential person in Shelden's life.
    Michael Jordan? Not again...

My #1 recruiting priority in 2029 would be a Dunleavy. Apparently, there's a new one (per Mike sitting out last night).

(Sorry for the threadjack. I know 2013 is a legit topic.)

Indiana Commitments

Indiana recently received two commitments from the Class of 2013, Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both from Indiana. These commitments are in addition to last month's commitments of two players from the Class of 2014, both of whom also attend high school in Indiana. Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb.../11220306/1002

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.
    Of course, that's every coach's priority. The difficulty is in realizing the goal. I'm actually glad that Crean seems to be having some success (MP3 notwithstanding). Indiana has been down, and I think it's good for CBB that it have a strong program, as I've said here before.

Indiana recently received two commitments from the Class of 2013, Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both from Indiana. These commitments are in addition to last month's commitments of two players from the Class of 2014, both of whom also attend high school in Indiana. Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.

Those are four extremely early commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them ended up changing their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Of course, that's every coach's priority. The difficulty is in realizing the goal. I'm actually glad that Crean seems to be having some success (MP3 notwithstanding). Indiana has been down, and I think it's good for CBB that it have a strong program, as I've said here before.
    IU has definitely started recruiting in it's backyard. I like Crean's strategy. It's obvious he wasn't getting to get players like Marshall Plumlee so instead he started younger. If he gets these young kids, he's starting to get himself out there. Kids are hearing about IU.

Also, he's focused on (arguably) the best AAU program in Indiana: Indiana Elite. All 4 of his commitments from above played on Indiana Elite and so did Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell (who just committed to IU today).

He's doing it right, for now. He's established himself within the state and focused on one very good AAU program

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Those are four extremely early commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them ended up changing their minds.
    Wouldn't be unusual for the coach to change his mind either and not offer a scholarship 2 or 3 years down the road. I'm not a fan of the super-early recruit practice. Just from a practical point of view, why take a sophomore Kendall Marshall when a Kyrie Irving becomes a (much) better prospect by the end of their junior year?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Wouldn't be unusual for the coach to change his mind either and not offer a scholarship 2 or 3 years down the road. I'm not a fan of the super-early recruit practice. Just from a practical point of view, why take a sophomore Kendall Marshall when a Kyrie Irving becomes a (much) better prospect by the end of their junior year?
    In Crean's case, job security. His record the past few years is pretty dismal (not that it's his fault). Recruiting well in-state (and the hope that implies for the future) is keeping his seat from getting too hot while he rebuilds. It may not make work from a "what's best for the program" perspective, but it definitely works for a "what's best for the coach" perspective.

ETA: Not that there aren't other reasons for taking an early recruit (getting a jump on, and possibly locking out entirely, the competition), just that Crean has a little extra incentive.
    Last edited by Dukeface88; 11-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    In Crean's case, job security. His record the past few years is pretty dismal (not that it's his fault). Recruiting well in-state (and the hope that implies for the future) is keeping his seat from getting too hot while he rebuilds. It may not make work from a "what's best for the program" perspective, but it definitely works for a "what's best for the coach" perspective.

ETA: Not that there aren't other reasons for taking an early recruit (getting a jump on, and possibly locking out entirely, the competition), just that Crean has a little extra incentive.
    Just my opinion, but I wonder if Crean is the right guy for the IU job. That should be one of the prime jobs in college hoops, with the tradition, fertile in-state and nearby recruiting areas, and Hoosier love of basketball.

Trying to re-build that program with commitments from high school sophomores and freshmen seems like a gimmick.

Coach K has often talked of the advice he received early on at Duke from the great Vic Bubas. Coach Bubas told him that building a good program took time, and not to take shortcuts.

I'd like to see Indiana back among the elite of college basketball, but am skeptical that Crean will get it done.

I do think it would be a bit unusual for a coach to pull the scholarship offer after a kid has verbally committed. The only time I remember that happening off the top of my head was Gary Williams with Tamir Goodman. The optics and the hit to the trustworthiness of the coach are huge deterrents.

I do think it would be a bit unusual for a coach to pull the scholarship offer after a kid has verbally committed. The only time I remember that happening off the top of my head was Gary Williams with Tamir Goodman. The optics and the hit to the trustworthiness of the coach are huge deterrents.
    I think it was also the case with UCLA and the peripatetic Taylor King.

I think it was also the case with UCLA and the peripatetic Taylor King.
    Man I love learning a new word. Peripatetic had me fossicking for my dictionary.

any one know/see what recruits were in cameron last night?

http://twitter.com/JayJayESPNDime/st...27135357734912

Jason Jordan posted that Julius Randle and Rodney Purvis were trying to coordinate attending a Duke game together. Previously Randle and Purvis were neck and neck for the top spot in the 2013 Recruiting Rankings until Purvis reclassified.

Clearly, Tom Crean has made it a priority to dominate recruiting in his own backyard.
    I think you mean playground

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    As Bruce Pearl can attest, recruiting in his own backyard would land him in hot water.

ESPN's Reggie Rankin "Just heard that T25 SF Jabari Parker (IL) has an updated school list. In no particular order Duke, Kansas, Illinois, Michigan State and Washington. Elite programs are on the trail of this skilled young forward."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Tom Crean likes to get em while they're young, that is for sure. AND I DO NOT mean that in a creepy kind of way, even though Crean may be a bit creepy.

Anyway, keep an eye on class of 2027 Chicago star Graham Gueller. My boss just had a baby boy and it is worth mentioning my boss is 6'7 and played high school ball in Wisconsin. Momma is tall in her own right as well, about 6'1. Just sayin