Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

MBB: Duke 79 Miami OH 45 Post Game Thread

Post your thoughts on the game here. Great performance by the good guys, especially on defense.

I would say excellent D and rebounding, very good 3-pt shooting, a little inconsistent otherwise. No one stood out much more than anyone else, but my MOTM is Mason for all those boards. Miles is going to have a very sore hand for a while.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Post your thoughts on the game here. Great performance by the good guys, especially on defense.
    Not surprisingly, those with the inside scoop were spot on:

The level in which Dawkins and Kelly are playing is on a different planet than last year. Size and skill wise they've shown a tremendous level of maturation. Both are noticieably more confident on the floor. It's fun to watch.

Also...Seth and Andre are instant action. Money from three.
    Last edited by JohnGalt; 11-16-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Never quite right...

I am falling in love with Seth Curry's shot and that crazy right hand spin out.
    It is bad nasty sweet.

Great defense tonight. Miami only scored 45 and had to hit some tough shots to even get that much. The defense was aided a little by Miami sending all five guys back on defense and not even attempting to get offensive rebounds for most of the game. Duke actually had over 87% of the defensive rebounds, which is a ridiculous number and evidence of Miami's strategy.

I also liked Kyrie's ability to take over with a 7-0 run in the second half after losing some minutes in the game with early fouls.

Duke will be very good. I expected more scoring tonight. Duke had too many turnovers and shooting went cold in spots. I think there was not enough movement of the ball with some quick shots. Mason was active on the defense but still looks a little lost on the offensive side. Free throw shooting was also off tonight compared to our first game.

The great thing is that this team is very good and has a lot to work on. I think the constant change in line ups does not allow a player to get hot. It will get better, I just was not overly impressed on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively we were better really forcing Ohio to start with the ball outside the three line and Ohio was forced to put up long shots with hands in their faces.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I was very impressed with Seth offensively. My impression from this one game is that Mason and Andre have both come along very well on the defensive end. They both seemed to know where to be in help side most of the time. All in all a pretty solid performance, yielding in the 30s until a couple of garbage time buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    The level in which Dawkins and Kelly are playing is on a different planet than last year. Size and skill wise they've shown a tremendous level maturation. Both are noticieably more confident on the floor.
    Totally agree.

Thumbs up

Watched the game on espn360.com

Kinda fun when fans are saying "we just don't look sharp tonight" (in-game thread), and we still win easily by 35. And it coulda have been 50 if we'd kept the pedal down.

Obviously some things to work on, but this is clearly a VERY good team. Kyrie brings sooooo much to the table. Nice to see that speed, once again, in a Duke uni. Seth had a great game -- I hope he keeps scoring like that, as he ceretainly has the ability. Our bigs seemed more aggressive tonight, as something was certainly said after the poor frontcourt showing vs Princeton.

Is it me, or isn't this just a much more fun brand of BB to watch (compared with some recent teams)?

Talking More Duke Support This Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I watched the game in a bar in DC, where there were a lot of TVs. I heard some yelling and joined a group of Duke fans in the other room. Only these weren't grads; they were off-duty bartenders plus a couple who were working that night. And they were cheering the plays of Mason and Ryan and Seth and Kyrie.

Maybe there will be more support for Duke in the hinterlands this year.

sagegrouse
    'Well, some of the bartenders could have been grads'
    'I also think it helps when your Coach is viewed as a national treasure, after the Olympics and the World Championships (and NCAA #4)'

Shooting

From game tracker, I got the impression that Kyle had a dreadful night shooting the ball.. That said, Seth, Kyrie in the 2nd half, Andre, Mason, Nolan and Kelly all provided scoring punch. This team has so many options, and it is unlikely that Singler's shooting will be off as much in games going forward.

Defense was good throughout and it wasn't until the last few minutes that Miami of O put up a few points to close the gap below 40.

Be interested in the comments of those who watched the game live.

All in all a nice defensive effort. Most impressive to me were Andre and Seth tonight on both sides of the ball. Coach didn't overstate when he said how much Dawkins had improved from last year. He hasn't had many lapses because it seems like he knows exactly where he is supposed to be right now.

When Singler shoots 3-10 from the floor and we win by 34 points, I'd say that is very encouraging. If this had been last year, I don't think Duke would have had such a big margin of victory.

It's obvious Coach has preached defense all through the preseason, and so far, so good on that front.

And Seth Curry's shooting stroke is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I know who I want to shoot the big free throw down the stretch.

Random thoughts... I am really liking Dre's development, it will be really interesting to see how he and Curry compete with/play off of each other. I was impressed with Kyrie tonight even if he didn't do much scoring, he always seems to be in the right place for rebounds. Josh needs to work on his court awareness and Tyler on staying in front of his man. At least they looked confident. Nolan's move where he waited for Mason to set a screen and then faked off of it for a lay-in was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    From game tracker, I got the impression that Kyle had a dreadful night shooting the ball.. That said, Seth, Kyrie in the 2nd half, Andre, Mason, Nolan and Kelly all provided scoring punch. This team has so many options, and it is unlikely that Singler's shooting will be off as much in games going forward.

Defense was good throughout and it wasn't until the last few minutes that Miami of O put up a few points to close the gap below 40.

Be interested in the comments of those who watched the game live.
    I think our shooting was a bit off in general, other then the 3s, which seemed very good.

Recap:

Duke wins by 34, and really won by over 40 before we stopped trying.

Pace = 69 Duke Possessions if i counted correctly (FG+TO-OR+.42*FT). That's slower than our super fast pace last game (77), though faster than last year. In the first half, we played much slower, as we were without Kyrie. It's interesting, it's like we have two gears, with Kyrie and without. One gear doesn't clearly seem better than the other just yet.

Assuming I have that number correct, we had 1.14 Points per possession (pretty good, not insane), while allowing just 0.67 PPP (Insanely good). Simply put, the Defense is clicking. The offense not so much. That said, we have yet to face a team with actual big men yet.

The Offense is really raw (and yet still put up 1.14 PPP). Right now, occasional bursts by Nolan and Singler and 3 point shooting are keeping us with a reasonable amount of offensive output, but well, the amazingness of Kyrie or our post play didn't show up today.

Mason had a good day, or so it seemed. But you have to remember, today we went small for most of the game with mason at the 5, Singler at the 4, and 3 guards. Mason got 24 minutes, No one else got more than 16, and Miles only had 6 in the first half (and Kelly around 10 at most). The points were good (but he needs to sink FTs), but he really needs for someone to get him the ball to be effective.

Mason's rebounding #s are overrated today. Only 3 of his boards were offensive and well he was teh sole big guy on the floor, of course he was going to pick up defensive boards.

Other big game were mostly negligible, though Kelly showed flashes (including a 3). Should be interesting to see if he starts again.

-----

On a pure good standpoint, Seth Curry was the MVP of this game. 4-7 shooting (3-4 from range) and 6-6 from the FT line. He clearly outplayed Dre after being outperformed in game 1. Should be very interesting to keep track of.

----------------------------------
    6 Days till Marquette, 7 days till Zaga/KState if we win that. 6 days to prepare and fix our offense. Should be interesting. (Of course we have colgate in between, but yeah...)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Good to see Mason get a double double. Hopefully this will be a confidence builder for him. I don't know if I have ever seen so many uncontested rebounds though. Miles struggled again but he did score on a post up baby hookish type shot so kudos for that. Additional Kudos for getting his dislocated finger reset on the court and remaining in the game even after clanking the free throws. I thought we saw some flashes of greatness in the transition game so we just need to continue to iron out the wronkles as we get closer to conference play. Dre and Seth are just killers from the perimeter and Dre looks so much more confident on both sides of the ball. Ryan has also improved and probably earned more PT. Nolan looked good distributing the ball tonight and Seth also had a nice assist or two so I would say we have 4 guys who can play point if necessary but KI is a natural. That was so much fun I think I'll watch the replay on ESPN3 now!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Not surprisingly, those with the inside scoop were spot on:

The level in which Dawkins and Kelly are playing is on a different planet than last year. Size and skill wise they've shown a tremendous level maturation. Both are noticieably more confident on the floor. It's fun to watch.

Also...Seth and Andre are instant action. Money from three.
    Agree!

First and foremost, the defense tonight was outstanding. K said the other night that the walkon's did not play because there was much work to be done. I think that by playing them tonight he was sending the message that he was pleased with the performance.

Defense was the theme of the night and just about every guy out there played good to great defense. We also rebounded much better than the Princeton game. Great ball pressure on point and on the wings and good rotations and pressure by the bigs.

The great thing about having Seth and Andre come off the bench is: Instant Offense! That is huge. The various big line ups including the starting 5 (with tonight having Ryan in place of Miles) are still finding their way on establishing an offensive rhythm, and Kyrie picking up 2 early fouls did not help that either, but those line ups defended really well.

Then comes the snipers off the bench and so far they have not disappointed. Both are deadly shooters and Andre is getting better game by game with putting the ball on the floor and driving. His defense is miles better than it was last year. Seth is also showing to be good at ball pressure.

Mason, after starting with 2 turnovers and a foul, settled down and had his best game of the year with the double/double. The alley oop from Seth was an alarmingly un-athletic great play. He made it look easy.

Kyrie had the one stretch where he just took over, as did Nolan. Kyle is Kyle and Nolan is Nolan so no worries at all there. Kelly had a nice game and played solid. Miles played good defense but still needs to pick up the rebounding. He is moving well on defense, and had the one nice jumphook tonight, but his shot was off. He proved last year he could knock down the mid-range jumper against the best competition so I am not overly worried. Just would like to see the rebounding numbers go up.

Tyler played solid on both ends. Josh was pressing a bit tonight, and needs work on the defensive end, but that is a work in progress. All in all a great night for the team.

The great thing about this team is the many options K has. He can go big, small, or medium and basically play any style he wants to effectively. They are still a work in progress and have a long way to go, but tonight showed great promise on the defensive end. If they can play that type of high intensity defense against Top 10 teams, they will make life hard on any opponent. I look forward to next week's games when the competition stiffens to see how out guys handle the pressure.

This early in the year to have so much natural team chemistry is very very good. No matter who is out there, the game just seems to flow. Ball movement was generally very good around the perimeter though I felt a few screen-and-rolls were missed; I remember a few cases in particular where Kyle missed a few opportunities to dish for easy buckets (I know, I'm looking for flaws in Picasso).

I still think we're trying to find our identity offensively. It's clear we want to run, though at times I think we're playing half way between a run-and-gun fast paced game and a half-court offense, and on a given opportunity to break, we're not sure what we want to do (again, I know, it's the second game of the year!).

It was also interesting to see Nolan take over some of the ball-handling duties; maybe it was a deliberate way to slow down the game and let Kyrie play off of Nolan's play-making ability (which is generally underrated). At that point we were clearly taking this game.

I'm very pleased with our defensive effort. Last game there were a few clear miscues that led to easy baskets in the first half. Against Miami the effort and consistency was incredibly encouraging. We were out-hustling them and contesting nearly every shot. Most importantly, our ability to switch looked much more fluid than the first game. And that was pretty much everybody. Our team defense has already stepped it up a level.

To have Andre and Seth off of the bench is just gravy. Those guys can light it up from the perimeter as well as anyone in the NCAA. This will come up huge in close games where we could test them both in a given game and let the hot-hand play more minutes. And Andre, I love the confidence off the dribble and the in your face defense. Very much improved!

Mason is showing flashes. I think half way through the ACC season he is going to have a level of consistency and presence that hopefully will mirror Z's emergence last year. Needs some FT practice, thats for sure. But overall play is very encouraging after a few miscues early in the game.

Kelly just looks so natural out there. He can play on the perimeter as a 4, stretching the D. He has the body and ability to move to defend the 3/4. He is an incredibly versatile weapon to have on our team. His ability to create on offense is underrated, and his hustle and defensive presence is overall consistent. From the get go I thought he was going to take the starting spot from Miles this year. Didn't realize this was already a possibility this early in the year. It will be interesting to see how Miles responds to the other bigs potentially taking more of the minutes.

What a game!

I am disappointed with the score, but I can't complain too much. I am hoping that this can be a substitute for a "helpful loss." This showed us that we aren't going to score enough to run teams out of the gym every night. We will get production, but it isn't enough that we can stop playing defense. That should be the lesson learned from tonight.

Ryan looked good. He is a new man with that size. He has confidence, and that is dangerous.

Tyler looked good, but he needs to be more attentive after he makes the defensive play. He got lost in traffic there, and he let the ball go right back to the other team.

I don't like Kyrie getting those quick fouls, but that is due to me wanting him to win Rookie of the Week every week.

Kyle and Nolan were solid, as they always are, but I want to see their numbers up.

Mason looked great. I don't care who the opposition was, he was digging.

Dre looked outstanding. I loved his diving after loose balls, his shot was on, he was looking to drive a little, and he showed the spirit that made us love him last year (I remember the dunk, where he drove the lane, in the ACC Championship game as one of the best moments prior to the National Title).

Hairston continues to prove himself to be trustworthy with minutes IMO.

Miles showed toughness with the dislocation, so I give him credit for that.

Can't find the words for Seth, he was outstanding. His shot had some Beckham on it. He played a great game.

Overall, we need to get that score higher, though. I love our defense, but we need to do both to be "scary," and that is what we need to live up to.

nolan doing everything on and off the court.

funny moment from nolan. don't know if it was on tv. after the orthopod popped miles' finger back in, nolan got up from his seat, went down the bench, and congratulated him on a job well done. although, one could argue it wasn't that great a job since miles missed both FTs.