Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Praise for the Crazies

I had the pleasure to be in a good seat in the Upper Deck last night. Just wanted to send a note to congratulate the students on a creative, vocal and energetic start to the season. When the Crazies are in top form, I get chills that remind me of my time in face paint. Last night was one of those occasions. The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadedevil View Post
    I had the pleasure to be in a good seat in the Upper Deck last night. Just wanted to send a note to congratulate the students on a creative, vocal and energetic start to the season. When the Crazies are in top form, I get chills that remind me of my time in face paint. Last night was one of those occasions. The entire student body was great, but especially the group of students sitting directly across from the Duke bench and into that corner. I could not make out all of the taunts and cheers, but several that I did understand made me smile and cheer all that much lounder.
    Do you recall any of the specific chants? I miss that on TV.

Nice job last night, Crazies. Class act all the way. One question: is there an effort to extinguish the "O" in the national anthem? It seemed so from my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01_10 View Post
    Nice job last night, Crazies. Class act all the way. One question: is there an effort to extinguish the "O" in the national anthem? It seemed so from my seat.
    Yes. We've received an email telling us that Coach K doesn't like the "O". Last night it was also mentioned on our cheer sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell-R View Post
    Yes. We've received an email telling us that Coach K doesn't like the "O". Last night it was also mentioned on our cheer sheets.
    From both Cell-R and I, you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cell-R View Post
    cheer sheets
    Before anyone reignites this discussion or an outsider tries to use this post as incriminating evidence, let's be clear that they're not really "cheer sheets."

It was just a printout of the Princeton roster, along with the words to the Duke fight song and a couple notes (one of which reminded students not to use the "O"). It was not a list of pre-planned cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Before anyone reignites this discussion or an outsider tries to use this post as incriminating evidence, let's be clear that they're not really "cheer sheets."

It was just a printout of the Princeton roster, along with the words to the Duke fight song and a couple notes (one of which reminded students not to use the "O"). It was not a list of pre-planned cheers.
    Well its kind of like a cheer sheet, but only included stuff we needed to know for the game. The cheers are pretty basic/easy to pick up. Opposing teams rosters/dirt is not (during the game of course).

More praise!

YES! Last night you guys were terrific! Especially good were the robust,sarcastically innocent and cheerful welcoming "HI"s to the Princeton players....sans the "you s**k". Much funnier and more effective this way.

I'm a Cameron Upper Crustie who hasn't seen the Crazies rock like that this early in years and years. Congratulations.
    Love, Ima

PS Sure wish I could hook up two tin cans and a string between my next-to-the-top row seat and some Crazie down there so we could make out more of the chants up there!

Were the Crazies chanting T-Shirt Time at a Princeton player who was wearing a black tee under his jersey. If so, bravo.

Krzyzewski said it was the best opening day for the Crazies since he's been at Duke.

Much fewer Os. But still too many. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Were the Crazies chanting T-Shirt Time at a Princeton player who was wearing a black tee under his jersey. If so, bravo.
    aha yes. I was a little bit to the left of the main section that was doing all of that, and even then some of the cheers were hard to make out. I still think we should cut the real music during pre-game to make it easier for the opposing players to hear us...much easier to tune us out when you're rocking to a hit hip-hop anthem in your head. Plus, encourages more heckling...I like that.

"SAFE-TY SCHOOL" came in loud and clear on tv.

Keep It Going!!!

Glad to hear that many noticed how great the Crazies were last night. They were loud, they were engaged in the play, and they vigorously supported a fantastic team. Also, great to hear that we might get rid of the "O". IMO, it has never fit for what Duke basketball is about, as it is clearly un-original, and is arguably disrespectful to our National Anthem. Reverting back to "Hi _____" without the second part, also puts the Crazies back in the irreverant and witty space, instead of the boring use of foul language area. We have often been obnoxious, but should strive not to be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Well its kind of like a cheer sheet, but only included stuff we needed to know for the game. The cheers are pretty basic/easy to pick up. Opposing teams rosters/dirt is not (during the game of course).
    Nice. This is what I always remember cheer sheets being. That, plus how to say things in foreign languages for the international players.

Nice to see that princeton has supplanted unc as Duke's safety school. We must have upgraded the enrollment criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Nice to see that princeton has supplanted unc as Duke's safety school. We must have upgraded the enrollment criteria.
    I normally don't like those chants at all, but Sunday night was hilarious. You definitely could hear it on TV.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Not to highjack the thread but people have been complaining about the O's for years. Personally, I always thought it was fun. Also, speaking only for myself, I never intended any disrespect for the national anthem.

I will say this once however - and I'm sure many of you will vociferously disagree - I don't like the idea that Coach K gets to control every last cheer that gets done in Cameron. He can express his input (freedom of speech and all that), which considering the source should be very valued, however I've never liked calling certain cheers off limits (I seem to recall a St John's player that K asked for special respect from the Crazies turning around and specifically dissing the Crazies after they won).

Are there limits to what people should be shouting? I think so (though my personal limits are probably rather different living in NY and going to games here than some other folks on here). But I'd rather have more cheers than less and I'd rather not have authority figures tell fans what they shouldn't be saying, absent, say, vulgarity. Fans should police themselves.
    Last edited by monkey; 11-16-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo

Coach K rarely says anything about what is cheered or yelled at the games. I do think it is appropriate for him to make requests once in a while.

I don't see it so much as a freedom of speech issue as is it a matter of his being something of a mentor for the students as well as the team.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Not to highjack the thread but people have been complaining about the O's for years. Personally, I always thought it was fun. Also, speaking only for myself, I never intended any disrespect for the national anthem.

I will say this once however - and I'm sure many of you will vociferously disagree - I don't like the idea that Coach K gets to control every last cheer that gets done in Cameron. He can express his input (freedom of speech and all that), which considering the source should be very valued, however I've never liked calling certain cheers off limits (I seem to recall a St John's player that K asked for special respect from the Crazies turning around and specifically dissing the Crazies after they won).

Are there limits to what people should be shouting? I think so (though my personal limits are probably rather different living in NY and going to games here than some other folks on here). But I'd rather have more cheers than less and I'd rather not have authority figures tell fans what they shouldn't be saying, absent, say, vulgarity. Fans should police themselves.
    Well, K has been expressing his opinions about what the Crazies say and do for at least the last 15 years, probably longer. It just so happens that you're now hearing more about it because of the interwebs.

Things K dislikes:
    Cursing by the Crazies
    GTHC
    Speedo Guy
    The O
    You Suck
    Generally focusing your energy on jeering the other team instead of supporting Duke

What else am I forgetting?
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Things K dislikes:
    [...]
    GTHC
    What?! Well, clearly (and thankfully) the students listen to him more on the "O" than GTCH. I hadn't heard Coach K specifically talk about that cheer. Although he's against vulgarity in general, but don't think Hell really qualifies. "Eat Sh*T" in the song certainly does, though...