Nice Read From FOX

Nice way to log on Monday morning!

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...0510?gt1=39002

GTHCGTH!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Nice way to log on Monday morning!
    Agreed...seeing K staring back on msn's page was a nice treat. I loved how he opened the article with Barnes' Skype announcement and then transitioned into all the great things that have happened since.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks for the link. I recalled last November myself. Duke was playing UNCG after finding out that Barnes decided to go to Carolina. It felt like the energy had been sucked right out of Cameron Indoor Stadium. I'm glad to see that the energy was not gone for long. We now have a fan base that has been re-energized and most importantly, a coach that has been re-energized. Go Duke!

Omission

"Krzyzewski brought Midnight Madness back a year ago, hasn’t placed any Twitter restrictions on his players and even allowed one television network to come in and film an all-access series."

I thought the omission of ESPN as the "one television network" was humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I thought the omission of ESPN as the "one television network" was humorous.
    I absolutely love that as well. Chuckled to myself when I read that. Between Foxsports, ESPN, and SI, there is so much network competition, especially in college bball. I love this sport.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wonder how HB feels reading articles like this?

Hate to dump on the kid, but he has got to occasionally wonder about what might have been. He had the opportunity to choose Duke and he would have been part of the recent burgeoning successes. Instead, he is on the outside looking in, and his start has not been smooth.

I admit to disliking HB because of the public spectacle he made of choosing the surprise pick unc over the "favored" Duke. There had to be a good reason that HB's decision hit Coach K "hard." I see that as evidence that HB had not been totally honest in his communications with the staff.

In retrospect, HB probably made the right decision for him as he will be the focus of unc's team this year, for better or for worse, and will have the chance to showcase his offensive skills for the NBA. At Duke he would have come off the bench and even then may not have been the first offensive option. But unless he is as self-centered as his current coach, he has to wonder "what if."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wonder how HB feels reading articles like this?...
    In retrospect, HB probably made the right decision for him as he will be the focus of unc's team this year, for better or for worse, and will have the chance to showcase his offensive skills for the NBA. At Duke he would have come off the bench and even then may not have been the first offensive option. But unless he is as self-centered as his current coach, he has to wonder "what if."
    Not to split hairs or compliment HB here but in all reality he would be a starter on this Duke team. g-irving/smith f-singler/barnes c-plum. no way he wouldnt start but that being said I think we'll be just fine without him.

SKYPE THIS HB

Wonder how HB feels reading articles like this?

Hate to dump on the kid, but he has got to occasionally wonder about what might have been. He had the opportunity to choose Duke and he would have been part of the recent burgeoning successes. Instead, he is on the outside looking in, and his start has not been smooth.

I admit to disliking HB because of the public spectacle he made of choosing the surprise pick unc over the "favored" Duke. There had to be a good reason that HB's decision hit Coach K "hard." I see that as evidence that HB had not been totally honest in his communications with the staff.
    I agree. I think Barnes probably knows he really screwed up.

In terms of omitting ESPN, I'm an editor for a living. My guess is he wrote ESPN and someone edited it out before posting it. Just a hunch, that sort of thing happens all the time with us, and I don't think Goodman would have been skittish about mentioning ESPN. Neither here nor there, just figured I'd toss that in.

Maybe this has been addressed before but I have never heard K address the HB recruitment and directly acknowledge (a) that it was surprising and (b) that it weighed on him.

For all the talk that HB grew up a kerlina fan and was in tight with them behind the scenes, it sure doesn't sound like K fully suspected that. But I love how he talked about using it as a learning experience and moving on.

(a) There had to be a good reason that HB's decision hit Coach K "hard."
    I see that as evidence that (b) HB had not been totally honest in his communications with the staff.
    I think the inference from (a) to (b) is a stretch. Maybe it hit K "hard" because he liked HB as a person, because he saw all the great things HB could have done for our program, because he was disappointed that he couldn't convince HB to come to Duke. I'm not the biggest fan of HB either (or the dumb way he handled his decision), but he seems like a good kid. We don't have to call him dishonest just to be rivals.