Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pomeroy and other Statistical Rankings - 2010-2011 Season

So for his site and College Basketball Prospectus 2010, Ken Pomeroy created his own projections of the NCAA Teams for this season.

The rankings of every team are currently up on his website, kenpom.com. On twitter, he confirmed that he'll be weighting the preseason projections such that they still will have an impact on the rankings for a while.

Just as interestingly, if you click on a team, such as say DUKE, you get the expected results for that team.

Duke is projected by the system to go 26-4 (13-3). The projections do not include the Gonzaga/K-State game, because who that is is yet to be determined.

Duke is currently favored in every game, but it's two most likely losses are 2/26 @Virginia Tech (64% winning percentage) and 3/5 @UNC (62% Winning Percentage).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Duke is projected by the system to go 26-4 (13-3). The projections do not include the Gonzaga/K-State game, because who that is is yet to be determined.
    13-3 in the ACC? Same record as last year? When we're by far the strongest team? And the ACC is weaker than last year? I would think 14-2 would be the most accurate.

26-4 sounds about right, but I would put my money on 28-2 before the ACC tournament. Call me an optimist, but this team is stacked from head to toe and our most difficult games (at least on paper) come before the ACC starts and Duke always shines during these games.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Don't get too worked up with 14-2 or 13-3. That's a rounding error.

We have three upperclassmen. Ok, two are to die for and the third is no slouch. We have a lot of talented but unproven players, we have a completely new system to learn and implement, and enormous hype to endure.

I'm going to enjoy the ride. I expect it'll be a wild one, regardless of the Ws and Ls.

I'm certainly not going to get worked up over someone's system making projections based on seeding data.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Don't get too worked up with 14-2 or 13-3. That's a rounding error.

We have three upperclassmen. Ok, two are to die for and the third is no slouch. We have a lot of talented but unproven players, we have a completely new system to learn and implement, and enormous hype to endure.

I'm going to enjoy the ride. I expect it'll be a wild one, regardless of the Ws and Ls.

I'm certainly not going to get worked up over someone's system making projections based on seeding data.

-jk
    While we're all going to enjoy the ride, part of the ride is the media, polls, analysis, rankings, ratings, and projections. It turns a fun up-and-down roller-coaster ride into the cork-screw, multiple loop, dangling-feet, upside-down roller-coaster ride.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    13-3 in the ACC? Same record as last year? When we're by far the strongest team? And the ACC is weaker than last year? I would think 14-2 would be the most accurate.
    Worth noting that with unbalanced schedules a team can play a tougher schedule against a weaker league simply by playing more tough games. Which is true of Duke this year, I think - this season their eight road games include trips to each of the four teams picked to finish in 2nd-6th place in preseason.

We're going to lose a game or two nobody can predict. Happens every year.

I just hope they come before the calendar says March.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    We're going to lose a game or two nobody can predict. Happens every year.

I just hope they come before the calendar says March.
    And not to UNC! I like pitching a shutout against them for the year.

Does anybody else notice that Kenpom gives us an 81% chance of winning at home against Mich St, but only a 66% chance at FSU? Does anybody else think that's giving a LOT of credit to the home court advantage? I guess it is Cameron...

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Does anybody else notice that Kenpom gives us an 81% chance of winning at home against Mich St, but only a 66% chance at FSU? Does anybody else think that's giving a LOT of credit to the home court advantage? I guess it is Cameron...
    I don't know, does Pomeroy factor in Michigan State's reputation for starting off slow?

I don't know, does Pomeroy factor in Michigan State's reputation for starting off slow?
    That would be some serious mathematical rigor.

I guess it is Cameron...
    I'm pretty sure every arena gets the same home court advantage bonus in his system.

Also, I think it's been proven that college basketball has the biggest home court factor of all American sports.

Well, Kenpom wasn't nearly as high on Michigan State last year, either. Even after their run through the tournament to the Final Four, he had them at ranked at 23 in adjusted efficiency stats . . . one spot ahead of FSU. For next season, he has them rated 6th in the preseason, which is much lower than any of the human polls. I think his computational methods view the Spartan's run through the tournament last year to be predicated on a bit of luck that allowed an otherwise strong but unspectacular team to appear like an elite team.

After looking at Duke's projected record a bit more, I also realized that Pomeroy expects Duke to play at a similar pace to last season. Only the games against the always fast-paced Tar Heels are projected to reach 70 possessions. So obviously most of his predictions for this season are based on last season and do not take into account how replacing Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas in the lineup with Kyrie, Miles, and Mason will dramatically alter the pace at which Duke plays.

The Pomeroy system really likes FSU's defense (Projecting it to be #1 Defensively, for the 2nd year running even without Alabi).

FSU is ranked 20, while MSU is ranked 6 overall, in general...and yes it seems to give a big bonus for Home Court Edge.

(As for the pace being the same as last year, that's a good point).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Well, Kenpom wasn't nearly as high on Michigan State last year, either. Even after their run through the tournament to the Final Four, he had them at ranked at 23 in adjusted efficiency stats . . . one spot ahead of FSU. For next season, he has them rated 6th in the preseason, which is much lower than any of the human polls. I think his computational methods view the Spartan's run through the tournament last year to be predicated on a bit of luck that allowed an otherwise strong but unspectacular team to appear like an elite team.
    I tend to agree with Ken here. For all the talk we hear about how easy of a path Duke had to the Final Four, MSU had an even easier path. We don't hear much about it because they lost to Butler anyway. They do get some credit for beating the teams in front of them and doing so without Lucas for a couple of them, but they avoided the top 3 seeds and their toughest opponent was Maryland. They should be very good this year with the returning talent, but they are still a notch below Duke, IMHO.

MSU's path to the Final Four; (12) New Mex St, (4) Maryland, (9) N Iowa, (6) Tenn.

weeeeeee...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    While we're all going to enjoy the ride, part of the ride is the media, polls, analysis, rankings, ratings, and projections. It turns a fun up-and-down roller-coaster ride into the cork-screw, multiple loop, dangling-feet, upside-down roller-coaster ride.
    I will also enjoy the ride. Last year's squad was so solid. They consistantly got better as the season went along while limiting the typical lows.
    This years squad will have more raw talent and youth. I expect the in-season roller-coaster will be a high-flying adventure!

After looking at Duke's projected record a bit more, I also realized that Pomeroy expects Duke to play at a similar pace to last season. Only the games against the always fast-paced Tar Heels are projected to reach 70 possessions. So obviously most of his predictions for this season are based on last season and do not take into account how replacing Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas in the lineup with Kyrie, Miles, and Mason will dramatically alter the pace at which Duke plays.
    I wouldn't worry about the pace predictions. It is much more difficult for a computer to guess how new players and increased minutes will affect pace compared to efficiencies. It's pretty easy for the computers to take Scheyer out of the equation and guess what Irving will do compared to how fast.

As for the FSU-Mich St. thing, It's not just that he's low on MSU, but high on FSU, all the way up at 20, with the number 1 defense in the country. With Duke looking to be a more offensive oriented team compared to last year, it wouldn't surprise me to see @FSU become a candidate for a surprisingly tough road game and perhaps a loss. I know this stuff isn't in the computers, but Duke will have played all but one game in the month before FSU in Cameron, with the Away game being @Greensboro. The last game before FSU outside the state of North Carolina will have been Butler and that will be a pretty friendly environment. Duke will also be only 3 days removed from what is always an emotional home game against Maryland. Tallahassee has been a tough place for Duke to play in recent years, and I expect a tough game this year.

Don't doubt Ken

Ken Pomeroy was spot on last year in predicting Duke as the number one team in the land. In early February, when Coach K was tempering expectations by describing the team as very good but not great, Kenpom moved Duke into the #1 spot, thanks in large part to defensive efficiency and offensive rebounds. By tournament time most of the play-by-play guys were finally discussing Duke’s huge advantages in those areas. Although Ken’s analysis isn’t perfect, he’s beat some of the best prognosticators with his mathematical genius.

I wouldn’t bet against his predictive models.
    Last edited by timmy c; 11-08-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling... opps

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the pace predictions. It is much more difficult for a computer to guess how new players and increased minutes will affect pace compared to efficiencies. It's pretty easy for the computers to take Scheyer out of the equation and guess what Irving will do compared to how fast.

As for the FSU-Mich St. thing, It's not just that he's low on MSU, but high on FSU, all the way up at 20, with the number 1 defense in the country. With Duke looking to be a more offensive oriented team compared to last year, it wouldn't surprise me to see @FSU become a candidate for a surprisingly tough road game and perhaps a loss. I know this stuff isn't in the computers, but Duke will have played all but one game in the month before FSU in Cameron, with the Away game being @Greensboro. The last game before FSU outside the state of North Carolina will have been Butler and that will be a pretty friendly environment. Duke will also be only 3 days removed from what is always an emotional home game against Maryland. Tallahassee has been a tough place for Duke to play in recent years, and I expect a tough game this year.
    I completely agree. FSU has a team full of long athletes that can probably keep up with Duke's offensive weapons as well as anyone in the land. If I'm a neutral observer asked to predict the three games most likely to be L's for Duke this season, the game in Tallahassee definitely makes the list.

As for pace, I should have been more specific. I wasn't worried about the pace rating for Duke, I just wanted to point out that the Pomeroy's predicted scores do not reflect a likely change in pace for Duke, making some of the predicted results seem a little less accurate. I think it likely that after a few games this season, the predicted pace and scoring margins for many of the games will shift upward very quickly, even if the predicted difference in efficiency between the two teams remains more or less the same.

I think the fact that Duke's offensive efficiency drops a bit from last year (from 123-120) serves as a reminder that for all the talk about how great our defense was last year, the offense was even better . . . even without the highlight reel fast breaks. The starting five could execute our half court motion with ice cold efficiency. I can't wait to see if this year's offense can achieve the same success by entirely different means . . . by running teams into oblivion.

This must be related to the pace projection: it's interesting to me that his model predicts that we will not score more than 86 points in any game. I predict that we'll exceed that total about a dozen times this year. In the same vein, he predicts that we will give up more than 70 points just once. I predict that we will give up more than 70 points a dozen times as well.
    Last edited by gam7; 11-08-2010 at 01:34 PM.