Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke 55, Virginia 48 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here. We ran the ball 45 times for 228 yards!
    Bob Green

Raise your hand if you thought that Duke would win 55-48 in a game with only 3 total punts if I had told you that after the first drive of the game, Duke would not score another passing touchdown. Does anyone know the last time (if ever) Duke scored SIX rushing touchdowns or had FOUR different players score rushing touchdowns. That's pretty good for a team that was among the worst rushing offenses in football last year.

acc ranking

The win moves Duke into a tie with UVA at 1-4 in the Coastal division. Any chance they can finish this season outside the conference basement?

Heck Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    The win moves Duke into a tie with UVA at 1-4 in the Coastal division. Any chance they can finish this season outside the conference basement?
    Sure we can! No guaranteed wins left on either team's schedule, but we've got BC at home and UVa's got BC on the road. And even if we both finish 1-7, I say that today means that they'd be in basement, not us.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. Devil View Post
    Sure we can! No guaranteed wins left on either team's schedule, but we've got BC at home and UVa's got BC on the road. And even if we both finish 1-7, I say that today means that they'd be in basement, not us.
    UVa also finishes the season against VPI&SU, while Duke finishes against the Heels, to whom anything could happen in the next three weeks.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Raise your hand if you thought that Duke would win 55-48 in a game with only 3 total punts if I had told you that after the first drive of the game, Duke would not score another passing touchdown. Does anyone know the last time (if ever) Duke scored SIX rushing touchdowns or had FOUR different players score rushing touchdowns. That's pretty good for a team that was among the worst rushing offenses in football last year.
    How about hanging a "Double Nickel" on a team while having under 300 yards passing? A "shootout" without the smoking gun. Fitting that the winning TD was a 35 yd rush.

This was a huge win due to how it played out. I said this in the in-game, thread as well, but losing 48-47 after how the game had evolved would have been a death sentence we likely do not recover from. Confidence is a fragile thing and that would have hurt bad.

A gutsy last drive by Renfree and the offense without Kelly or Vernon, and a center in Bryan Morgan who by all rights should be on the IR list, literally willing the team on. 4th and 19 and left for dead. Biggest play of the season.

Obviously our defense suffered late in the first half and most of the second, but unlike Wake, we overcame it.

My one constructive criticism item would be that I believe strongly in the old adage "You should only go for 2 when you have to". Up 40 to 28, I understand getting to a 14 point lead would be nice, but at that point it is not needed. Kick the extra point. When UVA scored the 2nd touchdown after that, it forces them to decide to kick for the tie or go for 2 with the lead. WHo knows how they play it, but it could have led to us being tied at 48 on our last drive instead of down 1.

In the end it did not matter, and we get just a huge win. Let's see if these kids can work some magic in the last 3 games and get to 6 and 6 or, 5 and 7.

Go Duke!!!

Great Offense!

This was a great game, and a tremendous showing by the Duke Offense. It just seemed like everything they did worked very well. We even overcame some tough injuries at key positions (WR) - hope they are short-term - and stayed aggressive to the end, unlike in Annapolis. Receiving by Helfet (7 rec, 122 yds, 1 TD) and Varner (4 rec for 73 yds) was just incredible. I loved the extra effort on his last catch at the 1-minute mark by Helfet to gain a critical extra 5 yards and into FG range. Renfree is really showing why Cut has so much faith in him -- 17 of 29 for 220 yds and ZERO INT's -- continuing the momentum from last week (sure is nice to jump out to early leads!). And Scott (17 rushes, 97 yds and 2 rec, 33 yds) and Connette running (12 rushes for 78 yds, 2 TDs and a 2-pt conversion) and passing (TD!) made a huge difference in this game - and seemed to surprise UVA. Of note: amazingly, all but one of our TD's came on the ground!

On the other hand, the Defense seemed to play much of the day on their heels. I was constantly disappointed by the lack of aggressive play, letting the UVA make the plays and then just reacting to them downfield. They really need to internalize the ideals of initiating action, aggressiveness, toughness (meanness?). Since we seem so passive in the D-backfield, I would think the coaches would send more blitzes, to at least disrupt the QB's timing/comfort, rather than letting him park in there and pick us apart. Ugh!

Great win for Duke. Very exciting game. Gutsy offensive play. (Wasn't the play of the game the 25 yard completion on 4th (?) and 18 from our own 20 with 1:30 to play??!)

Only 3 more wins to bowl eligibility!! Go Duke!!!

Great win and a very exciting game!

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post

My one constructive criticism item would be that I believe strongly in the old adage "You should only go for 2 when you have to". Up 40 to 28, I understand getting to a 14 point lead would be nice, but at that point it is not needed. Kick the extra point. When UVA scored the 2nd touchdown after that, it forces them to decide to kick for the tie or go for 2 with the lead. WHo knows how they play it, but it could have led to us being tied at 48 on our last drive instead of down 1.
    I agree with your point that going for 2 was maybe a questionable call, but I'm not sure your arithmetic is right. If Duke had kicked the extra point to go to 41-28, two UVa TDs and two extra points would give them the lead. As it worked out, UVa went for 2 later in the game to try to stretch a 1 pt lead to a FG advantage. Since they failed, all of the PAT decisions washed each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Possibly, BC is very winnable, and UNC is very upset-able.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    RECAP:

Reversing my usual order:

The Bad:

Run D: The Pass D looked awful at times. But the Pass D came up with THREE Turnovers (and it should've been 4). The Run D...well there were no mitigating factors. My god was it bad. Guys kept missing tackles, allowing for way too many 10+ yard runs.

D-Line: Verica had basically all day all game, with 1 sack (the immediate sack when the Center fell down) aside from teh 2 point conversion. I understand that UVA's O Line could have a few NFL players on it, but seriously...you gotta put some pressure on occasionally.

Clock Management and the final Squib: Listen, it all worked out okay. But when you're going for the 2 score lead, the team constantly snapped the ball with over 20 seconds left on the play clock. Unacceptable. Also that Squib on the final drive was stupid as hell. Special Teams was a real bright spot, with Snyderwine almost getting it to the end zone even with tough wind, and yet we gave them a 40 yard head start just to be super duper safe. Bad Idea.

The Refs: Just Miserable. Bad Call on the Cockrell INT in the end zone. and early in the first half, the Refs were miserable in calling on UVA two Personal Fouls (one while UVA was on offense for a late hit). Yes they helped Duke, but both god that's bad.
    --------------------

The Good:

Lots good here guys, very well done.

Will Snyderwine - It should say a lot about how good he is that he's being mentioned first here. A whole bunch of touchbacks, a perfect long range FG and one from shorter range, he's just on top of his game the whole time. Oh and the onside kick too.

Sean Renfree - Okay, so 17/29 isn't 28/30...but he was amazing. 4th and 18? No Problem. Oh and an amazing and HUGE 38 yard rushing TD. After being knocked out of the game in the 3rd Quarter, he came back even stronger. Great Great Game. (Oh and No INTs).

Brandon Connette and the Option Play: It seemed that earlier in the year Connette would just come in like a normal QB and then rush. Today, they used him in a triple-option like play, where Vernon (and then Varner) would come around to fake the end around. When Connette did hand it to Varner, BAM Touchdown. And Connette added 1 of his own (and the 2 point conversion). The play is really smart...if Connette passes, it can threaten a lot of yards, while simultaneously disguising the Connette run by adding a 3rd realisitc option in the end around.

Ross Cockrell with 3 Interceptions: Otherwise his coverage wasn't great, but 2 of these were huge.

Desmond Scott and Cooper Helfet: Both players made big mistakes: Helfet dropped a clear 3rd down conversion and potential big play in the 3rd quarter than resulted in a punt and UVA coming back, while Scott nearly fumbled away the game. But both bounced back...Helfet had some amazing catches and Scott took the final toss for the score. Great Plays

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Overall, Duke has won an acc game for the third straight year, and has 3 wins. A win vs BC is very possible next week. Remember when doomsayers were predicting 1-11? This is NO Ted Roof team.

Injuries are a concern...I expect Kelly back next week, but Conner might be out and a lot of our guys looked hurt through this game (Not Tyree Watkins, who IMO was clearly faking an injury to get an injury time out on the final drive.). I'm hoping for 5 wins, with wins over UNC and BC in our last 3.

LETS GO DUKE!
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by D.C. Devil View Post
    I agree with your point that going for 2 was maybe a questionable call, but I'm not sure your arithmetic is right. If Duke had kicked the extra point to go to 41-28, two UVa TDs and two extra points would give them the lead. As it worked out, UVa went for 2 later in the game to try to stretch a 1 pt lead to a FG advantage. Since they failed, all of the PAT decisions washed each other out.
    You are correct. I referenced the wrong UVA TD, and my math was off anyway. As it played out, UVA would have kicked the extra point on the TD that got them to 48 points, so we would have been down one on that last drive either way. Sorry, my mistake there.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Ross Cockrell with 3 Interceptions: Otherwise his coverage wasn't great, but 2 of these were huge.
    Overall, I completely agree with your analysis, however...

In defense of Cockrell, and I'm no football Xs & Os man, so take my comments for what they are worth (not much), he is suppose to get safety help deep on some of those plays where it appears he gets burned, but the safety was late getting over.
    Bob Green

Talking Let These Plays Live in Duke History!

Here's the key sequence, beginning at 4th and 18 with just over a minute left:

1. Sagegrouse gives up -- no chance for Duke

2. Renfree connects with Varner for 31 yards for a first down

3. Renfree passes to Helfet, who bulled for 12 yards

4. Ball is spiked to stop clock

5. Renfree pitches to Scott who roars down the left sideline for a TD

6. Sagegrouse regains hope, is sheepish about giving up

sagegrouse

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Cutcliffe

This is Cut's first win at Duke in November. He has stressed a lot how important November is, how teams are judged by their performance in November, and today was a great stride for the program in that regard.

Here are Coach Cutcliffe's post game comments to the media - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/a...over-virginia/ Nice win for Duke, team and all around the program are very happy.

I think it's funny that if you scroll down a little the #1 most similar thread is:

Duke 57, Virginia 46 Post-Game Thread

Which is apparently a win in the ACC Tourney by our 2010 National Champion Basketball Team.

What does it all mean?

I'm going with "nothing".

Possibly, BC is very winnable, and UNC is very upset-able.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Refs: Just Miserable. Bad Call on the Cockrell INT in the end zone. and early in the first half, the Refs were miserable in calling on UVA two Personal Fouls (one while UVA was on offense for a late hit). Yes they helped Duke, but both god that's bad.
    FWIW, Cockrell said after the game that the INT in the end zone hit the ground and said the official made a "great call."

ESPN3 replay?

Anyone know if ESPN3 will put the Uva game up for replay?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    FWIW, Cockrell said after the game that the INT in the end zone hit the ground and said the official made a "great call."
    Thanks Jim. Interesting. In which case, Duke got lucky with first Q calls against UVA.

Good to know.

NEXT GAME!

EDIT: Jim3K, all ESPN3 games are up for replay.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

EDIT: Jim3K, all ESPN3 games are up for replay.
    Supposedly. But not listed at the website so far.