Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    As a UNC fan, there were 4 things I didn't like about that play (other than Hansbrough's broken nose of course):

1). Hansbrough shouldn't have been in the game.

2). Hansbrough shouldn't have gone up for a dunk.

3). It was an extremely hard foul, but I'm not sure if it was intentional.

4). Dewey Burke should've taken the free-throws, damn it!
    Agree on all points. I'll add this: that's why you dribble out the clock at the end. I don't think he meant to hit Hansbrough's face, but if you dribble out the clock, you don't encounter that situation.

Is there an automatic ACC rule/suspension for a "combative" or flagrant foul? That's what Nantz supposedly said the officials ruled it was.

Correct.

Hans never should of been in the game at that point. I agree 100%.

However, Hans Jumped into Hendo's elbow? Be real now.

I dont believe it was intentional! But it was a hard foul, If someone fouled one our guys like that i would hope he would of been ejected and suspended as well(even if it wasnt intentional).

Lets hope the ACC reviews this and does not suspend G. Henderson.
    Last edited by DukeBlood; 03-04-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Officail Mess

It's reverse discrimination. The zebras are afraid to make any call that might possibly be interpreted as favoring Duke. In this situation the official fear forced them to make an official mistake. Hess should psycho analyze himself.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    No quarter will be asked...or given. They can do whatever they want because I have no interest in us letting up on them when we get the chance either. That's just the way it is.
    You do NOT try to run the score up with a double digit lead in the last minute.
    You do NOT try to go up for a dunk with a double digit lead in the last minute.

You run the clock out. I hope we remember this big time!

Jim

Props to Billy Packer

for saying repeatedly that it wasn't an intentional foul. Honestly, I can't believe Packer was that supportive.

I do hope that after further review from the league office that G isn't suspended for our next game, but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, why was Hansblahblah on the court with 15 seconds to go?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    No quarter will be asked...or given. They can do whatever they want because I have no interest in us letting up on them when we get the chance either. That's just the way it is.
    And yet, we always do dribble out the clock in the final minutes. It's a difference in philosophy, I understand. But one way to avoid potentially fiery incidents is to not try to run up the score against a rival when the game is clearly over.

Why was Hansbrough in the game??

Roy Williams ... was just enjoying the win so much and was actually trying to run the score up.

K would NEVER do that....NEVER

We had a freaking walk-on guarding Hansbrough with 20 seconds left!

Henderson is my new favorite Blue Devil...he wasn't going to give anything easy to Carolina.

Carolina has no -one to blame but themselves....and Roy
    Last edited by MulletMan; 03-04-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: For appropriateness

They pretty much had to call a foul and Henderson has to be suspended.

For sure their was absolutely NO intent on Hendersons part.

However, it doesn't matter if he did it on purpose. Every guy is responsible for his body and when he throws a blow, even one that was a result of making a basketball play and had no intent, and it results in something like that the player is called for a foul and suspended.

Without that kind of rule, players would play with a kind of reckless abandon that results in more incidents like that one. By suspending Henderson, all players are reminded that they must play in control at all times.

my point is...

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    You do NOT try to run the score up with a double digit lead in the last minute.
    You do NOT try to go up for a dunk with a double digit lead in the last minute.

You run the clock out. I hope we remember this big time!

Jim
    I hope so, too, but only so the guys are even more motivated to win. For anyone else, my feelings would be different but when playing those people, If I'm up 50 with 30 seconds left I'm going to try to win the game by 60.

The whole reason the play/foul came out so awkward is because Johnson hacks Hansbrough first and does get the ball and the ball starts going down. Henderson turns his body in the air as his head clearly follows the flight of the ball. This is why his elbow comes around/down and hits Hansbrough. He is clearly not looking at Hansbrough when he hits him.

The league office should see that this is clearly not intentional and will probably not suspend Henderson.

On the officials part, it is not necessarily a bad move to eject Henderson at the time, the outcome of the game no longer in question at that point. From watching on TV, had they not ejected him to appease the brewing unruly crowd, they could have had a riot on their hands.

Plenty of classless behavior from the crowd visible on TV. Thing that struck me as odd was the male UNC cheerleaders high fiving when Henderson walked out.

Don't worry.

They've just created a beautiful monster. What goes around comes around. G will own them all before he's done.

Love, Ima

PS Never been prouder of Duke and everybody's demeanor.

That is not the way we play the game.

That is not how Dule plays the game

ahh - Something about winning but not obviously and deliberately embarassing out opponent.

I hope we remember this

Roy (and his team) showed a distinct lack of class!

Packer

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    for saying repeatedly that it wasn't an intentional foul. Honestly, I can't believe Packer was that supportive.

I do hope that after further review from the league office that G isn't suspended for our next game, but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, why was Hansblahblah on the court with 15 seconds to go?

Everyone in the ACC seems to think Packer is out to get their team due to some decades-old grudge. I've never understood it. I think Packer is just blunt and honest. I also think his analysis is almost always spot-on AND focused on what is at hand. If it was, as people are saying, so obvious that the foul wasn't intentional I have no trouble believing that Packer was all over it.

Come on now, Karl just wanted to make sure Roy would invite him into his foursome at the next golf tournament.

Agree on Packer point

It was indeed surprising, but it gave him a chance to rip the officials, and criticizing is what he loves best after all...

No one has mentioned that the announcer (Nantz maybe?) said on the air that the official confirmed to him that Henderson would be suspended one game for a combative foul. I can't find the ACC rulebook, but can anyone confirm if the officials on the floor can have the final say in a matter like this? or does the league office review it later? It sounded pretty definite hearing it from the announcer that an official confirmed the suspension, and I've replayed it and listened again.

Also, Henderson may be incredibly athletic, but I still doubt that was in any way intentional. First of all, it simply happened too fast, unlike the slo-mo replay. Second, the ball popped out while Hendo was already in the air and he clearly started turning away; the ball darting off in another direction once you're already in the air can certainly startle you and make you twist and react oddly.

I don't think that's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    They pretty much had to call a foul and Henderson has to be suspended.

For sure their was absolutely NO intent on Hendersons part.

However, it doesn't matter if he did it on purpose. Every guy is responsible for his body and when he throws a blow, even one that was a result of making a basketball play and had no intent, and it results in something like that the player is called for a foul and suspended.

Without that kind of rule, players would play with a kind of reckless abandon that results in more incidents like that one. By suspending Henderson, all players are reminded that they must play in control at all times.

Players get fouls for unintentional blows, even ejections, for the very reasons you state but they rarely get suspended for those types of things unless there is evidence of malicious intent.

Go get 'em K

says that it is unfortunate that hansbrough was even in the game. after a smart*** question from a reporter asking"is there a protocol for putting in the walk on's at a certain time". K said "no, not unless its in one of your books, im not blaming anybody, im just saying that they were up big with 20 sec. to go and still had their starters in the game, but im not blaming anybody"

I love it!!!

yea...

Just out of curiosity about how UNC radio plays the G thing, I'm listening to the awful speeches by the UNC seniors.

The announcer says TH is on the bench listening with cotton in his nose.

Coach K sounds remorseful but says there was absolutely no intent by G. Says he doesn't understand why the officials suspends G for a game and league should review it. but (LIKE A MAN) Coach K takes responsibility.

Looks like this is a Hendu-Hansblahblah incident thread

So I'll drop my 2 cents here.

K and Hendu showed a lot of class in just letting it go. We need Hendu back on Thursday though so I hope we take that tape to the ACC 10 minutes ago. And if Roy had any backbone he'd see the tape and tell Swofford and Barakat that this doesn't merit a suspension. Hopefully Hendu not fighting back won't be seen as contrition for an intentional act. It wasn't.

I understand why Hanslblahblah was pissed. He has no idea what happened. None. He got smashed in the nose - we'd all react that way (maybe with less tears). But whatever... as others have said he's taking it to the hole with 10 seconds left, he should expect to be fouled. The elbow to the nose was an accident. He sure as hell better let this go, but I doubt he will. If he wants to go up at that point in that game, he should expect to get fouled. If Hendu dropped the Macho Man elbow into him, then bad Hendu -- then he gets suspended. But that's not what happened. So Psycho-T and Hole fans ----- let it go. (the hole fans at our bar seemed fairly reasonable, but not so on the internets it looks like.)

Hendu's suspension better get overturned or this is absolute horsecrap. I cannot believe the refs made a decision resulting in automatic suspension based on that tape. Just awful and no excuse. If it deserved suspension, the ACC could have take care of it. Let's just hope the ACC steps in and makes the right decision. I'm not crossing my fingers.

Again -- I'll be interested to see what Roy and Tyler have to say after the tape. If they claim dirty play then screw them. We'll see them next Sunday if they can fricking get that far.

I'm am really angry at those refs right now and will be even more if the 'Holes exacerbate this. I'll eat crow if Gerald comes out and said it was intentional, but I just don't see it.