Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I realize people take things said on twitter too literally sometimes, but here's what Parker said just before he left for Duke:

http://twitter.com/#!/tonyparker32

Obviously, he could just be sick of traveling and want to stick around at home, which is understandable, but I'd still think he should be excited to visit Duke. I'd imagine he'll change his mind once he steps foot on campus. If not, it appears the staff is casting a wider net for a post player in the class of 2012 so I'm not too worried, but I'd love to have TP on board.
    Two important things to remember:
    1) Tony just said Duke was already in his top 3.
    2) Of those three (Duke, OSU, and Memphis) we are the closest.

If TP wasn't pumped about his unofficial visit then it's not because of the traveling distance. But this situation definitely tends to make me think he has already settled on OSU. We'll see how it plays out I guess. I have total faith in K and know he will find the right Big(s) regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    Two important things to remember:
    1) Tony just said Duke was already in his top 3.
    2) Of those three (Duke, OSU, and Memphis) we are the closest.

If TP wasn't pumped about his unofficial visit then it's not because of the traveling distance. But this situation definitely tends to make me think he has already settled on OSU. We'll see how it plays out I guess. I have total faith in K and know he will find the right Big(s) regardless.
    Given how long Duke has been recruiting him, I suspect he knows pretty much all there is to know about what Duke offers with one possible exception: The big difference between this visit and any previous visit of his is the involvement of Jeff Capel. Although I am sure Capel has spoken to him by phone, I expect Capel to spend a lot of time with him on this trip and suspect that a change in the order of Tony's list will be the result of his interactions with Capel. That's what I will be looking for if/when we hear from Tony about how this visit goes.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Wouldn't this be the opposite of the Tyler Adams saga? Tyler committed early without having visited campus or developing much of a relationship with the staff (I am making an assumption here as compared to other Duke recruits) and then reconsidered later. Parker has been recruited by Duke for awhile now, has made it to campus, is developing a relationship with the staff and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to commit. This doesn't feel at all like Tyler Adams (which was a pretty short saga) except they are both solid power forwards.

I agree that McGary would be nice, or Parker or whatever big the staff feels would be a good addition and the big guy agrees.
    Yeah, I meant that more in the sense that their feelings towards Duke are the same; Tyler's father was pushing Duke very strongly, and after decommitting, Tyler made a few anti-Duke tweets.

Now, I get the impression that Parker has more class than that - he's not going to commit then decommit, and I doubt he'll blatantly disrespect Duke if he goes elsewhere - but I get the feeling it's the same dynamic. Parents strongly pushing a kid one way, but when the rubber meets the road, it's not where his heart's at.

I could be wrong (hope I am), but that's the impression I've gotten over time from Parker's tweets, interviews, other things I've heard.

(Summary: I really need to stop following recruiting so obsessively... )

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Yeah, I meant that more in the sense that their feelings towards Duke are the same; Tyler's father was pushing Duke very strongly, and after decommitting, Tyler made a few anti-Duke tweets.

Now, I get the impression that Parker has more class than that - he's not going to commit then decommit, and I doubt he'll blatantly disrespect Duke if he goes elsewhere - but I get the feeling it's the same dynamic. Parents strongly pushing a kid one way, but when the rubber meets the road, it's not where his heart's at.

I could be wrong (hope I am), but that's the impression I've gotten over time from Parker's tweets, interviews, other things I've heard.

(Summary: I really need to stop following recruiting so obsessively... )
    The twitter universe is fairly new. But I suspect excessive parsing of tweets is a quick road to madness.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The twitter universe is fairly new. But I suspect excessive parsing of tweets is a quick road to madness.
    I would go further and say that parsing tweets is madness.

He might have ben like "Man I got to go out of town again tomorrow? I just wanted to chill with my girl today but oh well. Can you schedule it for next week? You already khow I love Duke!"

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    He might have ben like "Man I got to go out of town again tomorrow? I just wanted to chill with my girl today but oh well. Can you schedule it for next week? You already khow I love Duke!"
    Two problems with this, though... we don't already know he loves Duke, because he recently - and very explicitly - said he currently favors OSU, when he hasn't even been there and they haven't been recruiting him nearly as hard. And second, can you picture any of the enthusiastic, all-in guys we have our program not being at all exciting about visiting Duke for the second time in HS just because they're tired or want to do something else?

I mean, 99.999% of HS basketball players would KILL for opportunity to spend a weekend inside the Duke basketball program as the honored guest and be courted by Coach K; it's not like it's "just another trip". If something like jet lag or a girlfriend is enough to kill any excitement for that, it doesn't exactly scream positive things at me, especially coupled with comments like "a lot of the things [Coach K] was telling me were fairly true", etc. I hope I'm dead wrong, but if he doesn't appreciate the one in a million opportunity he has, let's move on to someone who will.

And Jim... I'm afraid that ship sailed a long time ago. However, I know that road like the back of my hand, so call me if you need directions!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Two problems with this, though... we don't already know he loves Duke, because he recently - and very explicitly - said he currently favors OSU, when he hasn't even been there and they haven't been recruiting him nearly as hard. And second, can you picture any of the enthusiastic, all-in guys we have our program not being at all exciting about visiting Duke for the second time in HS just because they're tired or want to do something else?

I mean, 99.999% of HS basketball players would KILL for opportunity to spend a weekend inside the Duke basketball program as the honored guest and be courted by Coach K; it's not like it's "just another trip". If something like jet lag or a girlfriend is enough to kill any excitement for that, it doesn't exactly scream positive things at me, especially coupled with comments like "a lot of the things [Coach K] was telling me were fairly true", etc. I hope I'm dead wrong, but if he doesn't appreciate the one in a million opportunity he has, let's move on to someone who will.

And Jim... I'm afraid that ship sailed a long time ago. However, I know that road like the back of my hand, so call me if you need directions!
    completely agree. if there's one thing i've learned about managing personnel, it's that if someone isn't openly enthusiastic about being a part of the team, move on and hire someone else, no matter the talent level. it's better to take on people with potential who want to be there and teach them excellence.

I completely agree, I was just trying to make a positive out of what im seeing as a negative. If he aint all in then I dont want him either. Although, I think he is in elite talent that will look good in Duke Blue.

I dont think TP is feeling Duke right now as much as OSU but whatever he decides I wish him the best. Plus, with as many bigs as it is in the 12 class, I dont think losing him is all that bad.

Adam Zagoria on Parker's visit to Duke this week

Parker enjoyed his visit and anticipates making his decision in December, and continues to list Duke, Memphis, OSU as those recruiting him the hardest.

I don't know, but from reading this interview for Zagora, TP seems just to be laid back. He just may be the kind of kid that doesn't get to fired up about much of anything. Like when I ask my 18 year old about some event he has attended the standard reply is "it was alright"...

If he comes I will pull really hard for him, if he doesn't I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    If he comes I will pull really hard for him, if he doesn't I won't.
    Somehow this line reminds me of this bit From Amadeus
    Emperor Joseph II: "Well, there it is."

Appears the writing may be on the wall...

Parker is in Memphis with both his parents for his third visit and there is some buzz from the many knowledgeable Memphis fans around me that a commit may be imminent. I know many have written Parker off and it seems with good reason. Best of luck to the young man if this is the path he chooses.

http://memphisroar.com/2011/08/big-man-on-campus/

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil007 View Post
    Parker is in Memphis with both his parents for his third visit and there is some buzz from the many knowledgeable Memphis fans around me that a commit may be imminent. I know many have written Parker off and it seems with good reason. Best of luck to the young man if this is the path he chooses.

So who's left if we miss on McGary?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil007 View Post

Not that I doubt that he will ultimately end up at Memphis but I have always gotten the impression that he wanted to take his official visits, so the announcement may not be imminent. At this point, I'm really hoping for McGary but I'm not all that confident in landing him either.

Take a worst-case-roster-scenario for 2012-13: no more Miles [graduates]; Mason, Austin, and Seth [unlikely, true, just worse case] head for the NBA, or Euroball, or the beaches of Australia, whatever; and no additional recruits, zero.

We're left with:

PG - Thornton, Cook
    Wings - Dawkins, Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon
    Interior - Kelly, Hairston, Plumlee (Murphy)

Preseason #8-10. We're gold, every year.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Take a worst-case-roster-scenario for 2012-13: no more Miles [graduates]; Mason, Austin, and Seth [unlikely, true, just worse case] head for the NBA, or Euroball, or the beaches of Australia, whatever; and no additional recruits, zero.

We're left with:

PG - Thornton, Cook
    Wings - Dawkins, Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon
    Interior - Kelly, Hairston, Plumlee (Murphy)

Preseason #8-10. We're gold, every year.
    Not sure that that team is #8-10, top 20 maybe but iI'm not sure I see top 10. Thornton would be quality pg and Cook could be a top flight pg by then. Dawkins could be a star and both Murphy and Gbinije will definitely be good but probably not stars quite yet. The biggest concern is down low. Kelly could become a star but he isn't a true low post player. Hairston can develop into a solid 4 but probably will have some trouble with top 4's and MP3 isn't likely to be better than Mason was as a sophomore. A good team to be sure but not a lot of star power and the likely go to scorer (Dawkins) isn't terribly adept at creating his own shots (or at least not so far). Now if Curry and/or Mason return and/or we sign Shabazz, Parker, or McGary, then top 10 is very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Not sure that that team is #8-10, top 20 maybe but iI'm not sure I see top 10. Thornton would be quality pg and Cook could be a top flight pg by then. Dawkins could be a star and both Murphy and Gbinije will definitely be good but probably not stars quite yet. The biggest concern is down low. Kelly could become a star but he isn't a true low post player. Hairston can develop into a solid 4 but probably will have some trouble with top 4's and MP3 isn't likely to be better than Mason was as a sophomore. A good team to be sure but not a lot of star power and the likely go to scorer (Dawkins) isn't terribly adept at creating his own shots (or at least not so far). Now if Curry and/or Mason return and/or we sign Shabazz, Parker, or McGary, then top 10 is very doable.
    But then again, who thought that we would win a National Championship with:

PG Jon Scheyer (Sr.)
    SG Nolan Smith (Jr.)
    SF Kyle Singler (Jr.)
    PF Lance Thomas (Sr.)
    C Brian Zoubek (Sr.)

*** With Freshman Dawkins as our first player off the bench to help our depth in the backcourt with an early departure of G and transfer of E. Williams. I think Sheed will be really good. I know we need a big but stranger things have happened. Butler to back to back championships and their talent level was really not top ten.

Go Duke!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I have really high expectations of MP3, he seems much more of a unique player than MP1 and Mp2, who are more or less the same type of bigs. Coach K has been raving about Marshall's motor and enthusiasm, which I think are attributes that Miles and Mason just don't really have. Of the 3, I think Marshall will be the best rebounder. Just my hunch, but Marshall strikes me as a true center, whereas Miles and Mason are converted 4s. Don't get me wrong, Mason is probably the most talented of the 3, but don't sleep on Marshall, he's got loads of potential. Of course, anything could happen, but a guy willing to work this hard should really improve between his first and second year, and I have high hopes for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    But then again, who thought that we would win a National Championship with:

PG Jon Scheyer (Sr.)
    SG Nolan Smith (Jr.)
    SF Kyle Singler (Jr.)
    PF Lance Thomas (Sr.)
    C Brian Zoubek (Sr.)

*** With Freshman Dawkins as our first player off the bench to help our depth in the backcourt with an early departure of G and transfer of E. Williams. I think Sheed will be really good. I know we need a big but stranger things have happened. Butler to back to back championships and their talent level was really not top ten.

Go Duke!!
    True but that team was starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors. The line up in question for next year would have 2 seniors 2 sophomores and either a junior or another sophomore. Plus it would have only 9 scholarship players which provides little depth or room for injury (granted 2010 had the same issue). Like I said it could be a good team and a couple of those sophomores have a lot of potential that could get realized sooner rather than later but I personally wouldn't be setting in money on the table just yet.