Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Robbie Hummell torn ACL out for year

Bruce Feldman just tweeted that Hummell tore his ACL Saturday and will miss this season. I hate this for the kid and for Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Bruce Feldman just tweeted that Hummell tore his ACL Saturday and will miss this season. I hate this for the kid and for Purdue.
    That is terrible news. I feel so bad for him and Purdue, who looked to be solid national title contenders. They will still be good, but that hurts a lot.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Oh, man, that's awful. He can redshirt and come back next year, right?

Wow! That really is a shame...

Wow, he had only been cleared to return to play a couple weeks ago after originally tearing his ACL in February and now he tears it again?!?!?! Just awful.

For Hummel this is especially difficult news because this cements the "injury prone" label he was already carrying around and severely diminishes his NBA stock.

I do imagine that the NCAA will grant him an extra year of eligibility next season but his most talented teammates will likely have moved on and Purdue would not project to be nearly as much of a title contender as they would have this season.

I feel for this kid. I hope he comes back strong and has a long injury-free career in basketball from now on!

--Jason "the Big Ten just opened up nicely for Mich St" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Feel terrible for him... what a setback. He injured it today... when did practices even start?

Anyone know if it is the same knee?

Tough Situation

Just one day into practice andd the poor kid has another ACL tear. Maybe he should think hard about continuing to pursue a basketball career. Be interested in how the doctors feel about experiencing two tears and the liklihood of a recovery. Anyway, it is tough on the kid and tough on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Feel terrible for him... what a setback. He injured it today... when did practices even start?

Anyone know if it is the same knee?
    Injured it this morning I would think during practice. Practices officially started today I thought. I know they have been allowed a couple hours a week. And yes it was the exact same acl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5691032

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I do imagine that the NCAA will grant him an extra year of eligibility next season but his most talented teammates will likely have moved on and Purdue would not project to be nearly as much of a title contender as they would have this season.
    He doesn't need one, he hasn't used his redshirt season yet.

DAAAG...
    When I 1st saw this I thought it was an old thread. Horrible for him.
    Hope he can pull it together and mend quickly.

just dag..

This is probably the worst I have ever felt for a player on a team that I don't actively root for. They all came back to go all in for this year. You hate to see this happen to anyone, but Hummell especially. I am just stunned right now. I can't even put this in words.

It is a huge shame, and it is the same knee as before. Hopefully he can have a quick recovery and be back even better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    It is a huge shame, and it is the same knee as before. Hopefully he can have a quick recovery and be back even better next year.

It can only be so quick, ya know? With re-tears, doctors usually ask for 10-12 months before you are back on the court/field. I re-tore mine 7 months post-op. I am still waiting to get mine redone, but I plan on it this winter. My doctor sees no reason why I can't be back at full strength on the court in 12 months. Robbie is obviously in great shape so he'll be back. He;ll never be the same, I guarantee you that, but he can still be a good player. Its hard to describe how badly i feel for the kid. Not saying Duke has an easy path now, but it did just get a bit easier, but you hate to see it happen this way. Get well Robbie and keep your head up!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    I'm not a medical expert, so I'm hoping one can weigh in on this, but this is the second time in 8 months that he tore the same ACL. The first time he tore it, I remember hearing that they had to use a piece of the patella tendon in his healthy knee to repair it (I have no idea if that is normal for an ACL tear). I would imagine that for his long term health, they would be very deliberate about his recovery this time, especially with 14 months until the next time he could play in another game (assuming he uses his redshirt, which he still has available).

Is there an expert who can confirm this or tell me why I don't know anything about the knee and explain what his prospects really are?

Just terrible, for Hummell, for Purdue, and for this season's college hoops. The very first practice and a legitimate superstar is out for the season. Even worse - and I am not a doctor - I would assume two serious injuries to the same ACL within nine months could be career terminating.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 10-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Man, I feel so bad for this kid. Sometimes life is just not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I'm not a medical expert, so I'm hoping one can weigh in on this, but this is the second time in 8 months that he tore the same ACL. The first time he tore it, I remember hearing that they had to use a piece of the patella tendon in his healthy knee to repair it (I have no idea if that is normal for an ACL tear). I would imagine that for his long term health, they would be very deliberate about his recovery this time, especially with 14 months until the next time he could play in another game (assuming he uses his redshirt, which he still has available).

Is there an expert who can confirm this or tell me why I don't know anything about the knee and explain what his prospects really are?
    This explanation is not from a doctor but confirms that the tendon came from his non-injured knee

His surgeon elected to take the patella tendon from Hummel’s good knee instead of a graft from his injured left leg. Though that left Hummel technically with two knees to rehab, the rationale is that taking the graft from the injured leg only weakens it further. This sort of surgery speeds along the rehab process.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...el-and-sumpter

Terrible blow to Robbie Hummel and Purdue - hope he can fully recover

terrible terrible situation. prayers go out to him and a speedy recovery.

gotta love this attitude though. told Jeff Goodman, " I have a year and a half to get ready now"

http://community.foxsports.com/goodm...tive_on_hummel

That's just devastating for him and for his team. I always liked his game and what he brought to the basketball court. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA