Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think you mean "regress." Sorry, that's a personal pet peeve of mine.

Other than that silly nitpick, I'd say you're being a bit harsh on Nelson and McRoberts. I think we're asking them to be more than they really are. Nelson is not a go-to offensive player, and we've basically been asking McRoberts to carry the offense. Both are inconsistent shooters, neither has an established post game, and neither is a good free throw shooter. So expecting them to score consistently just isn't a fair expectation.
    These guys are basketball players. They start for Duke. They are co-captains. We can't expect them to score consistently? Then maybe they should go play defense for Duke football.

Tough defensive assignment

I have stated this before but I'll state it again, I do not understand the negative attitude toward DeMarcus Nelson by many members of this forum.

Today, DeMarcus covered Ty Lawson. Despite the comments I read in several threads about Lawson beating Paulus, DeMarcus was assigned to Lawson. I observed this during the game and have validated my observation via game clips on Sportscenter. Nelson defended Lawson! Lawson is too fast for Nelson but Nelson guarded him much better than Paulus could've.

DeMarcus is not a legitimate first option on offense. However, he has significant offensive skills. He is our leading scorer. I really wish we had a legitimate post presence for DeMarcus to play beside. Insert Greg Oden or Tyler Hansbrough (that should generate some hate mail) into our starting lineup and DeMarcus would average 20 points a game instead of 14.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-05-2007 at 04:41 AM. Reason: I need to correct a spelling error

OK but...

Quote Originally Posted by FewFAC View Post
    I hate to keep harping on the coaching staff, but I really do not think a lot of the individual player issues can be blamed on the players.

I think this is pretty clearly a function of K's tendency to "fall in love" with certain players. Honestly, I think if you switched the 3 and 5 jerseys, you would see a comparable level of productivity from both positions.

What are your concerns about the coaches regarding player development?

Also, I was referring to the radio announcers. The coaches had nothing to do with these comments. Maybe they said something later.

I wouldn't be surprised if K and company did all they did to praise Paulus every chance they get because they are concerned about his confidence. He needs building up because if he bags it for the season, there is no one to step into his role on the team.

thanks bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have stated this before but I'll state it again, I do not understand the negative attitude toward DeMarcus Nelson by many members of this forum.

Today, DeMarcus covered Ty Lawson. Despite the comments I read in several threads about Lawson beating Paulus, DeMarcus was assigned to Lawson. I observed this during the game and have validated my observation via game clips on Sportscenter. Nelson defended Lawson! Lawson is too fast for Nelson but Nelson guarded him much better than Paulus could've.

DeMarcus is not a legitimate first option on offense. However, he has significant offensive skills. He is our leading scorer. I really wish we had a legitimate post presence for DeMarcus to play beside. Insert Greg Oden or Tyler Hansbrough (that should generate some hate mail) into our starting lineup and DeMarcus would average 20 points a game instead of 14.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

I don't understand all of the heat DN is taking this year either. I think he is in sort of an impossible situation and I think he has made the most of it. He's an excellent defender and at least a capable scorer who doesn't need entire sets designed for him to get off his shot all of the time. Fans of this team should truly value those qualities. The first is always a key to success, the second is this edition's most rare commodity.

excellent point

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    you fails to mention that he has been steady as a rock on the defensive end. if unc doesn't have the best front line in the country, it is top 3, and mcbob had to deal with that on both ends basically by himself.
    I would say that, overall, the biggest difference between the two teams when they squared off this year turned out to be north carolina's ability to find more than one scoring threat inside. In a sense, Wright ultimately did us in.

I was actually pretty pleased with Nelson's play yesterday.

Josh, on the other hand, drove me insane. At one stretch near the end of the first half he threw the ball away on 4 out of 5 possessions in quick succession trying to make awful passes, when we were down 2. It boggles my mind that he continues to attempt to play the way does on the offensive end, especially when it is so ineffective and (it seems to me, but I'm not an expert) it takes the entire offense out of synch.

One of the guys I was watching the game with speculated that Josh isn't big enough or strong enough to play center in the NBA, and that K is giving in to Josh's desire to play a point forward-style position to let him showcase himself to try and get him to stay another year.

The kid is an defensive star, but it is so difficult to watch him on offense. As I've said in other posts, it isn't his scoring that gets me, it is that he plays so far out of position that his offensive rebounding numbers aren't great, and he seem to knock everyone else out of synch.